The True Cost of owning a Motorhome. (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I was recently discussing with Nikki how much running our Motorhome has cost us over the years.

Trying to put a price on it, is really hard and I potential purchasers should not be deterred because the price is always offset by the enjoyment. ::bigsmile:

However, someone I know wanted to know so I attempted to work it out for them.

So our current van cost £37000 our first cost £20000 and our second was £23000.. less 16k part exchange means from van 1 to 2 cost us 7k added to the original 20k... Then our third cost 37k less a px price of 20k, meaning an additional 17k added to the 7k therefore I think that's a total of 24k Plus 20k original purchase fee less the current value of say 30k on a good sunny day in Scarborough comes to 14k in cost, if I were to knock it on the head today.

First thoughts are
Wow, that's £80000 we have spent on Motorhome's :Eeek:

So 14k over 8 years = £1750

We then average about 8000 miles per year....which = 333 gallons of fuel at an average of £6.12 per gallon = £2037 per year on fuel...

Added to £320 insurance,
Maintenance £500 per year (dont forget tyres every 5 years.
Tax £184 per year
Fuel £2037
purchase £1750
CC subs £ 50

In total this year we have been away for 3 months worth of nights which include fun rallies, skiing, holidays etc etc in total 90 nights away and we will touch 100 by the time we end the year. So lets say an average of £10 per night which takes in to account ferry crossings, and some expensive sites add on another £900..

Anyhow that now comes to a total of a very conservative £5741 per year.

so over 8 years £43768 :Eeek:

HOLY COW>>>>I can't believe I just spent 20 mins of my time torturing myself...:Eeek:

That;s some holiday and 71 nights in a travel lodge..:whatthe::whatthe:

But as I said, all irrelevant when you take in the enjoyment, but how much longer can this be sustainable, I have university to think of :Cool:

On the otherhand, we have seen things we only dreamed of, we have spent quality time as a family, we have met some wonderful friends, some great enemies, Skied ran, kyacked cycled, climbed, drank more than we should of :Blush: purchased a dog, been to the top of the Eiffel tower, Skied above the clouds, Ran over mountains, drank, Visited Poland, Germany, Holland, Belgium, France, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Andorra, Scotland, Wales, Czech republic and im sure more Ive forgotten about.

I think it's time for a break,

Nikki thinks it's time to keep the wheels rolling and I ain't ever going to convince the little vixen otherwise,,,

So see you on the road....

France/Germany/Belgium and Luxembourg in a another 20 days. :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Cripes!

Needless to say my figures would be slightly lower than those Paul but then I spend (some of) mine watching The Beautiful Game!!! :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Pity it is too hot for you down here. It would be great to have you visit...

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Cripes!

Needless to say my figures would be slightly lower than those Paul but then I spend (some of) mine watching The Beautiful Game!!! :ROFLMAO:

Pity it is too hot for you down here. It would be great to have you visit...

Yeah, each person would have his own figures and no doubt some would be worse than ours.

The cost of watching the beautiful game is truly great at the moment and I feel I am being rewarded by a game not so beautiful too. :Sad: still Anfield next :Eeek:

It's not too hot for us JJ, you must remember you have sewn your seeds in the garden of my family. It's all about that thing called time and holiday entitlement for my fair lady. We shall drive to see you, maybe even September when we prepare for the Marathon de Medoc in Bordeux again. your only a couple of days drive from there. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I'm at the other end of the spectrum.

My van cost £16,000 nearly 8 years ago and I pay £110 a year for insurance. It's still probably worth a conservative £10,000.

In those years, I have probably averaged 60 nights per year away at an average cost of £15 per night. That's £7200.

If I had put the dog in kennels and stayed in a Travelodge, the cost would have been at least £28,800.

Add to that the freedom, the fresh air and sleeping on my own pillow every night, I know which I would choose!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I strongly protest Haggers young man!

I have not sown any of my seeds anywhere near your garden.

Tara wouldn't have let me.

Bordeaux next year... now that's a thought...

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm at the other end of the spectrum.

My van cost £16,000 nearly 8 years ago and I pay £110 a year for insurance. It's still probably worth a conservative £10,000.

In those years, I have probably averaged 60 nights per year away at an average cost of £15 per night. That's £7200.

If I had put the dog in kennels and stayed in a Travelodge, the cost would have been at least £28,800.

Add to that the freedom, the fresh air and sleeping on my own pillow every night, I know which I would choose!

fuel Janine or is Barrie pushing it :roflmto:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am totaoly at the lower end of spectrum ::bigsmile:
Only the vans I have kept for our own use
van 1 cost £500 son me zero -given by son :Smile:cost aprox 50 quid to revamp inside sold for 2k but gave that to son = zero
van 2 cost 3.5k -convert from petrol to D £500 (total 4k :winky:)spent aprox £500 redoing all inside sold for 8k =3.5k profit
van 3 cost 6k spent 2.5k complete inner and outer revamp sold for 12.5k = 4k profit
van 4 bought 2.5k plus 8k for parts total 10.5k --still got it after 7 yrs and probably still worth 10.5k (more to me)
ins aprox 250 per yr -tax 165 yr fuel just fill it up when empty = aprox 27 ish mpg ::bigsmile:use / nights away not nearly enough in last 4 yrs only about 3.5 k miles per yr :Sad:
Converted several others but sold them all at a profit :thumb: so don't really count them --
terry

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
I'd want them to pay me the 44k to spend 71 nights in a Travel lodge....

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We did calculations on our first two motorhomes when deciding on a what to spend on what we expect to be our final motorhome.

We compared it to the holidays we used to take before motorhoming. Most of those holidays were tenting, statics and hotels and one two week holiday abroad every two years.

We too did not include fuel, tax or insurance, because we have always run two vehicles.
We did include habitation checks any extras we bought for the motorhomes.

We worked out that over the 8 years we

a) had far more holidays and weekends away

b) saved a fortune

c) made a profit on the vehicles we sold

d) prefer our current motorhoming lifestyle to our previous holiday lifestyle

e) have less stress when going away - we only have ourselves to complain to - no more, hotel double booked, rooms that arent as described and only comfortable beds to sleep in and the added bonus is if the site/location isnt up to scratch we just drive out and find somewhere else.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We only got our van in July, its cost us £1500 a night so far.....:thumb:

Allan

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
well haggers i must say .you have certainly got those calculations almost spot on EXCEPT how much have you spent on booze. and silly bloody outfits .lol:thumb::ROFLMAO:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I wonder what £43768 divided by the amount of nights away over 8 years comes to ?

Vlad

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I wonder what £43768 divided by the amount of nights away over 8 years comes to ?

Vlad

That's easy...

£60 init...

But before this thread develops in to a Fun V expense "oi guvnor your wrong im having so much fun etc" it's purpose was to see the true cost of motorhoming in a fFINANCIAL term and nothing else.

If I never had a motorhome I would not have gone away for 720 nights over the 8 years, or put another way lived equivalent 2 years of my life peeing and pooing in to a plastic toilet. :winky:

I would of been considerably better off financially and we all know that,
however,
I would be a lesser person for not having had the experiences.

But all things change, If I could persuade Nikki, I would give it up for a while, get my money back and do something different.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I agree Paul,and when you think of all the places you've been,and the good times you've had with both Nikki and the family.£60 pounds a night is sod all !
So think of all those experiences you've had and how much money you've SAVED by having a Mh ::bigsmile:

Vlad

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
u know full well that if u sold your passion wagon u would just shrivell up and grow to be a boring old fart so u keep on camping my boy and enjoy it u have to many friends now to go and throw all that away would be crimminal.........................and im sorry i called u baldy.lol:ROFLMAO:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We certainly wouldn't be without our motorhome, we have been to so many places, met so many interesting people ( + a few who we were glad to move on from!! )
We worked out that we have spent much less on each holiday only £800 for 16days in France this year including diesel.
Life is much more relaxing without set timetables, and dress codes, and every day holds new adventures with no pressure.
We are glad we had a cheap holiday this year as we have just had to have our front suspension and shock absorbers done!!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I havnt a clue what its cost over the years but if I hadnt spent it on motorhomes and motorhoming I would have spent it on something else.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Hi Paul I was wondering ,have you taken depreciation into account ? [Theres always one init]
PK :Blush:

Yes keith but only up to today. Not include further losses. . It would all be about if I speed today

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am not going to do a calculation.

I am sure it would be depressing.:Sad:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I do not care what it cost. How could I quantify how much all of the friends we've made through motor-homing in general and 'FUN' in particular would cost? :Blush:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Hi Paul I was wondering ,have you taken depreciation into account ? [Theres always one init]
PK :Blush:

If you do that, then surely you are thinking of its value to sell, which if you do, will reduce your per day costs, so its cheaper!

If i sold my van for half its value now, it will have only cost me £750 a night......:Sad:

Allan

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I haven't worked out the cost of owning the van as long as I can afford it then I don't need to know :ROFLMAO:.

We got fed up a while back of booking a family holiday and then it not being up to standard or at least my standard, what you say you have spent in a year would only cover two weeks at a nice quality hotel somewhere sunny. About 3 years ago we went to Jamaica to a sandals resort and although it was excellent after about 3 days I was bored of it and wanted to move on and that cost a lot more than a years motorhoming.

This year we drove all the way to Slovenia for our hols and did a few activities like white water rafting, golf and beach resort stuff for Sophie and her friend and without working it out I would say all in it cost less than £1500, so where can you get an all inclusive holiday for that price.

Paul you say if you could convince Nikki you would sell and try something else what would that be.

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
That's easy...

£60 init...

But before this thread develops in to a Fun V expense "oi guvnor your wrong im having so much fun etc" it's purpose was to see the true cost of motorhoming in a fFINANCIAL term and nothing else.

If I never had a motorhome I would not have gone away for 720 nights over the 8 years, or put another way lived equivalent 2 years of my life peeing and pooing in to a plastic toilet. :winky:

I would of been considerably better off financially and we all know that,
however,
I would be a lesser person for not having had the experiences.

But all things change, If I could persuade Nikki, I would give it up for a while, get my money back and do something different.

Well you could always take a break, get the kids through uni and in 5 years time or so come back to it as you enjoy it so much. Life priorities do change but you have time on your side. :Smile:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I haven't worked out the cost of owning the van as long as I can afford it then I don't need to know :ROFLMAO:.

We got fed up a while back of booking a family holiday and then it not being up to standard or at least my standard, what you say you have spent in a year would only cover two weeks at a nice quality hotel somewhere sunny. About 3 years ago we went to Jamaica to a sandals resort and although it was excellent after about 3 days I was bored of it and wanted to move on and that cost a lot more than a years motorhoming.

This year we drove all the way to Slovenia for our hols and did a few activities like white water rafting, golf and beach resort stuff for Sophie and her friend and without working it out I would say all in it cost less than £1500, so where can you get an all inclusive holiday for that price.

Paul you say if you could convince Nikki you would sell and try something else what would that be.

Don't know really Gerry. Maybe classic car/bike restoration
and there is no likelyhood of getting Nikki to change her opinion anyway....

I love motorhoming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back