I am envious of those going abroad this year (1 Viewer)

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We have had a very hectic 12 months, with selling our house in November, living full time in the M/H until April, moving into a rented flat, buying a new house, carrying out alterations and finally moving in.

Now my wife has been told that she has to go into Hospital for an operation within the next 4 months and will then have 2 - 6 weeks physio whilst her arm is in plaster. That takes us up to next Feb before we can plan anything.

I wouldn't want to travel to far as she could be called in for the operation at very short notice also I will not travel just after as she will most likely have no insurance cover.

In the meantime I read all sorts of tales on here of people preparing to travel South for the winter.

I am envious.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
We have had a very hectic 12 months, with selling our house in November, living full time in the M/H until April, moving into a rented flat, buying a new house, carrying out alterations and finally moving in.

Now my wife has been told that she has to go into Hospital for an operation within the next 4 months and will then have 2 - 6 weeks physio whilst her arm is in plaster. That takes us up to next Feb before we can plan anything.

I wouldn't want to travel to far as she could be called in for the operation at very short notice also I will not travel just after as she will most likely have no insurance cover.

In the meantime I read all sorts of tales on here of people preparing to travel South for the winter.

I am envious.

Don't be it's an old fashioned point of view but
The Good Lady must have Priority:thumb:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Health before enjoyment then you can have the best of both.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Ahaa, Don`t fret, they get wild storms, cold wet weather down south too---sometimes:winky:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Well if it's any consolation we are in the same boat.:cry:

Last visited our house in Spain October/November last year, early this year wife's knee problem worsened and had to stay here waiting for arthroscopy operation on her knee. Unfortunately that didn't improve things so had to stay here waiting for an appointment to have a knee replacement operation. Now have 15th October as the date so certainly won't be venturing out in the motorhome until next year.

Mike

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger

I am envious.
Why the old wrinkle's are the only ones going south, Me I'm heading north . And if you are heading south could you please cancel your heating allowance as a tax payer in resent that option

Bill

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Why the old wrinkle's are the only ones going south, Me I'm heading north . And if you are heading south [HI]could you please cancel your heating allowance as a tax payer in resent that option[/HI]

Bill

Why?

They have paid their taxes, they reside in the UK, so they are entitled.

Who has nicked your happy pills?

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Why?

The poor and the needy that's who I'm glad the government are looking at this as it's a benefit and it's disgraceful that you can spend the winter touring Europe and still claim this benefit

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why?

I think he has a point. Heating allowance is paid on a registered property not to an individule. The claimant receives this allowance to heat that property. As far as I am aware claiming that allowance to heat your motorhome in Portugal or Spain is not what it is intended for. Please correct me if I am wrong. :Smile:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I think he has a point. Heating allowance is paid on a registered property not to an individule. The claimant receives this allowance to heat that property. As far as I am aware claiming that allowance to heat your motorhome in Portugal or Spain is not what it is intended for. Please correct me if I am wrong. :Smile:
Your not wrong it's on the property and the government are going to clamp down on it hopefully

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I think you will find the government are looking at taxing the heating allowance for those who claim it in the UK but, live abroad.

There are thousands of people who live abroad but keep a UK bank account and contact address and accept all sorts of benefits.

They also come back to the UK for treatment under the NHS as they consider it to be their entotlement.

If you only go abroad for a few months you still have to heat your property in the UK.

By the way, heating allowance is paid to the individual/s and is linked to their state pension. That is how people living abroad can get the allowance together with their state pension and other allowances and you cannot reject the payment but, you can spend it as you like so therefore give it to a charity.

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The individual has paid his taxes, the current rules state that he/she is entitled to that money. How they chose to spend that money is up to them, if they want to drink it all or spend it on wine gums, their choice.

Also, if they are in Spain or Portugal during the winter they may well be using the allowance to heat their homes. Therefore reducing the risk of frost damage and keeping the home insurance premiums down.

As a matter of interest Bailey, as you think or suggest that the poor should benefit from the heating allowance, ever thought of handing yours back, or are you suggesting that as Scotland is colder than the rest of the UK they should get more?

Buttons, where do you draw the line? If a pensioner wishes to go for a week’s holiday to see their son/daughter in France during the winter should they lose a week’s heating allowance? The administration of the system would be horrendous.
Offering pensioners a heating allowance must save the NHS a fortune in not having to deal with cold related illnesses.

Lastly, I very much doubt if any party would remove the benefit wholesale, I know Labour would not, the Tories may mean test it, but it’s hardly a vote winner.

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
The individual has paid his taxes, the current rules state that he/she is entitled to that money. How they chose to spend that money is up to them, if they want to drink it all or spend it on wine gums, their choice.

Also, if they are in Spain or Portugal during the winter they may well be using the allowance to heat their homes. Therefore reducing the risk of frost damage and keeping the home insurance premiums down.

As a matter of interest Bailey, as you think or suggest that the poor should benefit from the heating allowance, ever thought of handing yours back, or are you suggesting that as Scotland is colder than the rest of the UK they should get more?

Buttons, where do you draw the line? If a pensioner wishes to go for a week’s holiday to see their son/daughter in France during the winter should they lose a week’s heating allowance? The administration of the system would be horrendous.
Offering pensioners a heating allowance must save the NHS a fortune in not having to deal with cold related illnesses.

Lastly, I very much doubt if any party would remove the benefit wholesale, I know Labour would not, the Tories may mean test it, but it’s hardly a vote winner.[/QUOTE]

They are all after the "grey" voter

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I think you will find the government are looking at taxing the heating allowance for those who claim it in the UK but, live abroad.

There are thousands of people who live abroad but keep a UK bank account and contact address and accept all sorts of benefits.

They also come back to the UK for treatment under the NHS as they consider it to be their entotlement.

If you only go abroad for a few months you still have to heat your property in the UK.

By the way, heating allowance is paid to the individual/s and is linked to their state pension. That is how people living abroad can get the allowance together with their state pension and other allowances and you cannot reject the payment but, you can spend it as you like so therefore give it to a charity.

The heating allowance came in to help the elderly who we're struggling to heat there house, in the winter and keep warm. You don't have to keep your heating on even in Scotland. I'm afraid if you can tour Europe and indeed stay in Europe this and many other benefits should be withdrawn. My sister stays in Portugal and often returns for NH reasons. Give the benefits to the people that deserve them.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Lastly, I very much doubt if any party would remove the benefit wholesale, I know Labour would not, the Tories may mean test it, but it’s hardly a vote winner.
I'm not sure where you would draw the line but if this benefit was given the same scrutiny as other benefits are being given then many would be loosing it. Including those wealthy individuals spending their winters roaming in a motorhome around southern Europe. Could you imagine what the Daily Mail could make of it.:thumb:
Would you like me to give you a DM headline.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I`m not old enough yet to receive it yet ---

I always had a vision about the benefit being there to stop lonely old people sitting in a chair freezing to death.

Not for fit 60+ year olds touring Europe in the sun in a £££££ MH and spending ££££ on fuel for a MH not a boiler.

Maybe I ought to start filling in forms to claim for more freebees ,then I can go on tour all winter:thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I`m not old enough yet to receive it yet ---

I always had a vision about the benefit being there to stop lonely old people sitting in a chair freezing to death.

Not for fit 60+ year olds touring Europe in the sun in a £££££ MH and spending ££££ on fuel for a MH not a boiler.

Maybe I ought to start filling in forms to claim for more freebees ,then I can go on tour all winter:thumb:

Freebies? Not so, they have paid into the pot.

What about clamping down on those who by choice have paid FA into the pot!

Buttons, which ones of these would you remove from pensioners?
Free prescriptions
Free Eye tests
Free TV License?
Free Health Care?
Free Bus Passes?

So you are more than happy to take away from those who have paid into the system, what would you suggest we do to those who have paid nothing?

Anyhow, the number of pensioners who go overseas in their motorhomes is relativly small, at best say 10,000.

And what would you spend the savings on?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Heating Allowance

£200 is'nt exactly life changing and i do'nt think there is many people on this forum that would go without heating if it was withdrawn.
I've been receiving it for the last 11 years and yes I spend my winters in Spain and have no intention of donating it to any charity or any other cause.
Alan

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
£200 is'nt exactly life changing and i do'nt think there is many people on this forum that would go without heating if it was withdrawn.
I've been receiving it for the last 11 years and yes I spend my winters in Spain and have no intention of donating it to any charity or any other cause.
Alan
What can I say shame on you

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Freebies? Not so, they have paid into the pot.

What about clamping down on those who by choice have paid FA into the pot!

Buttons, which ones of these would you remove from pensioners?
Free prescriptions
Free Eye tests
Free TV License?
Free Health Care?
Free Bus Passes?

So you are more than happy to take away from those who have paid into the system, what would you suggest we do to those who have paid nothing?

Anyhow, the number of pensioners who go overseas in their motorhomes is relativly small, at best say 10,000.

And what would you spend the savings on?
I wouldn't remove any of these benefits for those who need them, but some means testing would save mega bucks without hurting anyone. Not all those drawing state pension and pension benefits are poor. Fuel allowance is a good example.
These huge savings could be spent helping those less fortunate people on minimum JSA while looking for work and maybe do away with this disgraceful bedroom tax, maybe put a stop to this unemployed having to lick our boots before they collect their benefit. Surely this is a better option than us picking up the cost of wealthy pensioners spending the winter in warmer climes.:Cool:

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp

When the day comes when I retire I will hand it back as it's fundamentally not right. I think it was you on another thread that said it was wrong that we should support the girls that were done for importing drugs if they return to the uk why they and there parents have paid there dues , why should I who is still working support the people who live and tour abroad, and continually slate this Country until guess what. The uk is the first place they turn to when things go belly up ie national health and the moans the come when they can't sell there house abroad. Daily on the tv you here about the benefit scrounges who rip of the rest of us. What's the difference between them and the people who live abroad and for most of the year tour abroad who claim benefits. Also you shouldn't twist words I said there was no need to have your heating on over winter even in Scotland when the temperatures are lower, I did not say we should get more than the Uk, me thinks a trip to specsavers you will probably not have to pay anything

Bill

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The heating allowance came in to help the elderly who we're struggling to heat there house, in the winter and keep warm. You don't have to keep your heating on even in Scotland. I'm afraid if you can tour Europe and indeed stay in Europe this and many other benefits should be withdrawn.[HI] My sister stays in Portugal and often returns for NH reasons.[/HI] Give the benefits to the people that deserve them.

Your sister stays in Portugal, but returns for NHS treatment... :Eeek:

Pot - Kettle - Black comes to mind.. :RollEyes:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Your sister stays in Portugal, but returns for NHS treatment... :Eeek:

Pot - Kettle - Black comes to mind.. :RollEyes:
You don't get it the amount of stick I give her for what she does I constantly get on to hear about it . I really wish you read the content of the thread before you lay down accusations

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We are of to moroco after Xmas for 3 months if you think I am turning down a free hand out think again and our heating will be left on as low as possible just in case.

Tough we paid it in to system so if I can get some thing back your bloody right my hand is going to stuck out
freeby my bum I paid it in I want want it back :thumb:

Think what you want a true yorkshire man does not turn away money

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You don't get it the amount of stick I give her for what she does I constantly get on to hear about it . I really wish you read the content of the thread before you lay down accusations

Why do you have to give her stick.. ?

She has paid into the system... like most... her choice to live/stay there...

Like putting money in the bank, and being dictated to as to how you can spend it, and where you can spend it...

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Why do you have to give her stick.. ?

She has paid into the system... like most... her choice to live/stay there...

Like putting money in the bank, and being dictated to as to how you can spend it, and where you can spend it...

I'm going to end this , my belief and I was always brought up to help the NEEDY, if you think that it is right to support them then fine, you learn something every day.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I am envious.

And ,of course,the operation could be postponed as mine has just been.
Two yrs ago I told a consultant that I would not be available for an MRI scan until 1st May as we would be in Spain/France until then until then .
He spoke to radiography whilst I was there and made a very visible note on front of my file.
On Fri.23 April I had a phone call at Parc Verger teling me I had a scan apt on Tues 26th in Merthyr ::bigsmile:
We dashed back,had the scan,then had to wait 3 mths to get results.
Finally after being referred,yet again,to a spinal surgeon,having a nerve root block last sept (which was excellent) I got a date for surgery which has now been postponed !!

So,for 2 yrs our travelling has revolved around the slow grinding wheels of the NHS.
We should have been in France now,and could have been as it's turned out. Christmas we'll be stuck here and won't get away now until the Malaga Meet ::bigsmile:

Hope you have better luck.

Mike

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Benefits

What can I say shame on you

No shame on me I paid into the pot for 50 years to pay for my pension its certainly not being paid for by some Jock who has'nt got the sense to move south to warmer climes
Alan:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back