Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
can i please have peoples comments (constructive ones please:Smile:) on how they have adapted going from an RV to a european motorhome.i see in this months Which Motorhome magazine that Moto-Trek,a british company,have just prototyped a motorhome with 1 slide out.is this the shape of things to come from the european manufacturers?
brian and jo
:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
can i please have peoples comments (constructive ones please:Smile:) on how they have adapted going from an RV to a european motorhome.i see in this months Which Motorhome magazine that Moto-Trek,a british company,have just prototyped a motorhome with 1 slide out.is this the shape of things to come from the european manufacturers?
brian and jo
:thumb:

Hi Brian... Had ours just nearly 2 months... must admit we did miss the slide and extra room they make..

But after 13 nights spent in it since we have had it, and just over 600 miles...

We love it, Compact after RV`s & 5th wheels, less to heat up... depending what you go for,,, as much cupboard space internally, as bigger main locker as we had in the last RV..

No planning on the trips we have done to date, no problem getting on site`s we have chosen,, no worries about dumping black waste, (I do one walk to the elsan point each morning,, not taught Judy how to do that yet:winky:)..

And best of all, with us anyway.... no worry about where the next LPG station is,,, and 24 - 25 miles to the gallon with toad on the back.... admitted it has the 6 speed tiptronic gearbox, which is as smooth as they come..

Just over a week, and we are off again for two and a half weeks.... then after that, Belgium and France, and down to Spain & Portugal after Xmas..

Not read much up on the Eurovan slide outs... but as with any new thing I would bide my time before getting one, let them iron out any problems first.. :Cool:

Good luck with what ever road you go down.. :thumb:

Regards to Jo & Josh.

Mo, Judy & Paul.

OP
OP
Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi Brian... Had ours just nearly 2 months... must admit we did miss the slide and extra room they make..

But after 13 nights spent in it since we have had it, and just over 600 miles...

We love it, Compact after RV`s & 5th wheels, less to heat up... depending what you go for,,, as much cupboard space internally, as bigger main locker as we had in the last RV..

No planning on the trips we have done to date, no problem getting on site`s we have chosen,, no worries about dumping black waste, (I do one walk to the elsan point each morning,, not taught Judy how to do that yet:winky:)..

And best of all, with us anyway.... no worry about where the next LPG station is,,, and 24 - 25 miles to the gallon with toad on the back.... admitted it has the 6 speed tiptronic gearbox, which is as smooth as they come..

Just over a week, and we are off again for two and a half weeks.... then after that, Belgium and France, and down to Spain & Portugal after Xmas..

Not read much up on the Eurovan slide outs... but as with any new thing I would bide my time before getting one, let them iron out any problems first.. :Cool:

Good luck with what ever road you go down.. :thumb:

Regards to Jo & Josh.

Mo, Judy & Paul.
thanks for your comments Mo.as you know ive been up in the air lately and still have,nt decided which way to go.glad your enjoying mate.best wishes to Judy and Paul:thumb:
brian jo and josh

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Just as an after thought, Brian..

I should have thought with your hectic life, work wise it would give you more opportunity to say to your right hand man....

Bill, Joe, Fred..... You take the reigns we are off for the weekend... :thumb:

Must openly admit most of my thoughts are mainly because of the let down`s and the expense of all the troubles we had with the RV...

Has put me off RV`s for life.... not saying we wont have problems with this one,,, but if we do and are abroad, being on a Fiat based motor we are more likely to get things sorted...

And if we cant we will not have such a big problem getting rescued and repatriated ..:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Drive in Europe that which belongs in Europe.

Drive in America that which belongs in America.

If you don't understand I can't explain... it is a suitability thing.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Cannot answer for the coach RV's but as you know we have a 5'er with a 12ft slide and we also have a 'Stumpy' caravan for the odd night away where it is not worth the hassle of taking the 5'er.

Our thoughts are the 5'er you can live normally and comfortably in - walk around bed - spacious shower room - stacks of cupboard space - nice kitchen dining area as well as seating in real comfort. a three roomed flat on wheels. Fluids need doing on approximately a weekly basis. Needs to be attached to EHU for maximum comfort.

Stumpy - compact living - make up bed - tiny kitchen area ok for basic cooking - shower / toilet - all there but plan well before you start or use the on site if available. Fantastic and acceptable for a day maybe 2 - extreme at 3 climbing the walls at 4. Much, much better than a hotel room at any cost. Fluids need attending to on a daily basis. Can operate easier off grid than the 5'er.

If I had to get rid of one or the other then Stumpy would go

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Whatever motorhome you drive is always a compromise. Having everything you want is an impossible dream.:Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Jackpot!!!!! I have the impossible dream :thumb::ROFLMAO:

It's called an RV.
But I know I am lucky :RollEyes:
You are looking through a tunnel young man only seeing what you want to see. How many negatives would you like me to list for RVs just like yours.:RollEyes:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
For us the question is not RV or eurovan, it is a question of size. For those with larger RVs I understand the need to down size just as we did.

When we bought our 8.5m B class RV 3 years ago we were down sizing from a 32ft Hurricane and doing it for the purpose of ease of travelling and carefully researched and explored all available from A and C class eurovans to all the RVs.

Liked the Rapidos, Carthagos ££££ , Hymers etc but in our opinion they all had the ability to make a relatively small space smaller inside. :Sad:

So after much deliberation we opted for our RV, at 8.5m X 2.35m w it is the same length and width as many Eurovans so not an issue and has the benefit of twin slides for better living space and all the RV standard fittings.:Cool::thumb:

With a 350mile range lpg conversion we normally achieve 9mpg relating to around 16mpg and find fillups with little or no forward planning .
We afford the marginal extra fuel cost to gain the extra space and comfort.

In 3 years we have put 18000 miles on the clock, travelled Scotland , the Isle of Skye, Wales and its narrow roads, this year we were in Spain and Portugal, the ROI , Devon and Cornwall .
All with no problem on road or site size or ability to obtain LPG with ease.

As for Euros in Europe and RVs in the states, the RV is LHD and perfect for Europe :thumb:

For us we will only consider a eurovan if I were to get licence restriction at 70 .

We have loved every minute with our RV , probably one of those "best buys" that we occasionally achieve :thumb:

Big decision Brian Jo and Josh :Smile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
PS

Forgot to mention, as said in the past , this is very much a personal choice for us all :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've owned almost every type of motorhome, from a nylon sheet stretched from our Lanny's bull bar to the ground, right up to large American RVs and most things in-between We always strive to have the smallest motorhome possible - that we are comfortable in. When we had the RV there were 5 of us and a dog and we were home educating the kids, this was about the smallest van we could be comfortable in.

Now we are not so many, our vehicle is much smaller, interestingly it is fitted with everything we had in the RV (apart from a tub chair) Dinette, sofa, double bed etc, the only difference is the RV had a lot of space between these items?:roflmto:

Me and Siân on our own, I wouldn't go back to the nylon sheet but would love a panel van, the ultimate tourer. Siân wouldn't like that, she'd be more comfortable in something coachbuilt and a little bigger, so I doubt I'll ever own one. :Sad:

My advice, don't worry about slide outs, they steal payload and can be more trouble than they are worth. Go as small as is comfortable, who cares if its made in the US or Europe, they are all RV's

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My advice, don't worry about slide outs, they steal payload

Yes, but, a PVC with well engineered lightweight slide, the answer to your prayers.

Maybe a pop-top on the side is the lightweight way to go.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Following lpg installation and everything loaded including full fuel and us we still have spare 250kg , no problem :thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
:winky:
Yes, but, a PVC with well engineered lightweight slide, the answer to your prayers.

Maybe a pop-top on the side is the lightweight way to go.

We were at Masham for the weekend for the sheep fair. Great weekend btw. There was a canvas pop top PVC there. You could hear their conversation , tv , and rattling about as though you were in there with them. More so when it was very quiet at night. A bit like when people are in a tent or awning and are oblivious to how loud they are being.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Following lpg installation and everything loaded including full fuel and us we still have spare 250kg , no problem :thumb:

You lost some weight then, Bro.... :winky::ROFLMAO:

Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
I'm going the other way, I've had European and British motorhomes, but now
I'm looking at RV's as wife's disability mean's she is now wheelchair bound.
I've looked at 2 RV's yesterday, Great and can be adapted for our use.
But there's just one problem it's the length of the RV's, 32ft & 31ft, as my drive is only 28ft 9" long and I don't think I'll be allowed to overhang onto the path as people will moan. So I'll keep looking.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Trail Lite make nice RVs. plenty of those at 28ft and under. :thumb:

Link Removed

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
we saw one of these and thought what a great compromise.

Link Removed

We did think that once we don't have two huge great big dogs and a bit more time this could suit us very well.

Oakwell motorhomes (great dealer by the way 100% satisfied and I am a difficult bugger) had a new one in about 18 months ago, but I think that they sold it at Pererborough last year.

Regards

Eddie

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Brian, personally I think it all boils down to what you are using them for. I ran RVs for around 10 years after I retired and they were unbeatable for driving down to Spain or Morocco in the winter and even Norway in the summer. What my lifestyle consisted of then was sitting around for months on end with a toad to run around in and the RV was the ideal tool for the job.
When I started to do more touring and go at the drop of a hat, then it was time to rethink which would be the best vehicle for those needs. I bought a cheap European camper to see how I faired and loved it. I loved the freedom of being able to park on the beach or in the woods, out of the way. I loved being able to just turn into small villages in France and Spain without parking on the outskirts and walking in to see if I could get back out again. Everything suddenly became cheaper, as people did not think of me as some sort of cash cow.
If I ever stopped touring then I would reconsider another RV or even a caravan, but whilst I am well enough to tour the European size van is king. We have returned today from a two week tour of the Rhine and Mosel, camping on Aires for the whole trip with no plans whatsoever, I could never contemplate taking an RV into some of those German villages or down some of the riverside tracks we used. Its horses for courses and the best advice I can give is if you are undecided, then keep the RV for a while and buy a cheap camper. If you dont like it then you still have the RV to fall back on. Even after being in the two bird club for more than a year I still was sad to see the RV go.
It doesn't really matter how small a camper is, if your parked on a beach and the sun is shining, you are only going to use the bed anyway.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I'm going the other way, I've had European and British motorhomes, but now
I'm looking at RV's as wife's disability mean's she is now wheelchair bound.
I've looked at 2 RV's yesterday, Great and can be adapted for our use.
But there's just one problem it's the length of the RV's, 32ft & 31ft, as my drive is only 28ft 9" long and I don't think I'll be allowed to overhang onto the path as people will moan. So I'll keep looking.

Theres a autotrail arapaho tag axle on ebay that's been converted for wheelchare use

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Brian
As you know we did just that, went from owning 3 RVs and doing 100'000 miles plus to a European and have no regrets and as much as I love RVs cant see us owning another. It really depends what suits your needs at the time its a big step to take if not absolutely sure. When we changed I was adamant as I was sick of all the hassle of owning a RV but Jan really wasn't convinced but now she wouldn't go back either. What we have now is so relaxing and easy to use which is how it should be.

Our Hymer has every item in it that our Rvs had and is far better built, the only advantage the RV has is space between the items. Plus we have the flexibility to go pretty much anywhere at a minutes notice with no planning ahead and it does 25mpg. We regularly spend 2 or 3 months at a time in it and even lived in it for 6 months when we sold our house. Plus we can survive at high altitude in comfort for weeks at ski resorts in seriously cold conditions something we could never do in any of our Rvs. We never worry about turning up at a campsite now and seeing that look of horror on the site owners face.

Having said that I've just spent a week in France and Spain on my motorbike with just a tent on the back and that is total freedom better than any motorhome can offer I loved it.
Jan refused to come though she still thinks a motorhome is roughing it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Whatever you decide to do good luck and enjoy. :thumb::thumb:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Had a 32ft (10metre) RV and did four 6-month winter tours round France and Spain towing a car. Very enjoyable (only two of us) and although we rarely booked ahead it was always a concern what we would find on arrival at a site - could we get in, park up, dispose of waste, have enough electric to run the thing. The car was a necessity as we like to explore rather than sitting stationary. So bigger hops in the RV to allow exploratory expeditions in the car.

My wife had a concern that if anything 'happened' to me she couldn't drive the RV either legally or, practically.

We made a dramatic switch to a 5.6 metre Sprinter van conversion by HRZ Reisemobile of Germany. With a pull down double bed we avoided having to make the bed up before we could sit down. It had a good-sized shower separate to the loo so we didn't shower the toilet. It had a fridge, cooker, LPG generator, inverter, 2 full-sized LPG bottles and Gaslow etc fully insulated and and lots of heated storage. The bodywork was only punctured by the diesel fill, LPG fill and heater exhaust (the RV leaked many times despite constant repair)

As a result we were totally independent and could go anywhere a car could go. Yes, an extreme step and you may not want to go that small but we managed a six-month winter tour to Italy and Sicily wild camping or using sostas and did the Morocco trip. We also lived in it for 3 months between houses. It was a newfound freedom and we felt that was what motorhoming was all about.

Keith

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I can understand where all of you are coming from with this hence the reason why we have a small ( and I mean small ) caravan. Would be interesting to see the answers given if this question was asked on RVOC :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back