bent valves (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi Got another engine 19000 mils on it one owner from new right off on it for my van but they think it may have bent valve as someone removed cam bet tensioner when it was in the yard and when they moved it they turnd the engine over by mistake Could that have damaged the bottom end ie big ends crank shaft pistons as I have another head a can put on. do you think I will be ok have done engines with bent vales before with no real problems but just want second opinion thanks’ bill

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I dont think the bottom end would be damaged in any way if turned over by hand
But
If it was me I would strip the whole engine down clean and inspect the lot for peace of mind its a lot of work to pull it all down later if you have bought a wrong un

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Had a cam belt break once, all the damage was at the top end, bottom was OK.

However, before fitting the new lump I would strip it down completely and do a rebuild, at least you will then have confidence in what you are fitting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
If it was only turned over with the starter motor, it would be highly unlikely to do damage to the bottom end, having spent 50 years in the trade I have seen all manner of damage to heads/blocks/pistons/conrods ,have seen valves stems compressed by taking a piston hit after a timing belt failure , they needed new guides/valves/camshaft followers but bottom end was fine, but I would ask why remove a timing belt tensioner on a engine with only 19000 miles?
If it was me I would remove the head and look for damaged on the piston crown,
Usually the indentation is minor even though the valves are badly bent/compressed, bare in mind this is with a belt failure with a possible 3000 RPM at time of failure but is still rare to do the bottom end much damaged usually,

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
When you consider the cost of a fully recon engine you sometimes have to take a gamble with scrap yard sourced engines and gearboxes. If you can see what you want still in the chassis you could conclude one way or the other whether it came from an owner that would have serviced it on a regular basis. Most diesel engines can do very high miles and still be in perfect running order when the vans are scrapped. I would go for it.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
When you consider the cost of a fully recon engine you sometimes have to take a gamble with scrap yard sourced engines and gearboxes. If you can see what you want still in the chassis you could conclude one way or the other whether it came from an owner that would have serviced it on a regular basis. Most diesel engines can do very high miles and still be in perfect running order when the vans are scrapped. I would go for it.
thanks gowin to go look at it today and will make my asesment then thank to all who reply d

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im with Ivor on this one:thumb:
If it smells like fish its usually Fish:Doh:

19000 mile one owner engine would be in the office safe mate,and would most likely be sold before it was removed, and command a very good price, take my word for it:RollEyes:
Geo

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Im with Ivor on this one:thumb:
If it smells like fish its usually Fish:Doh:

19000 mile one owner engine would be in the office safe mate,and would most likely be sold before it was removed, and command a very good price, take my word for it:RollEyes:
Geo
thank for postin geo well seen original service history even seen the old van it has cum out including the v5 off van sat for ten years habitation unit rotted off it owing to a leek in roof of the barn it was sitting in the guy that was sealing dident rely know wat he was getting rid of i striped the hed right in front of him like new in the bores just valves slightly bent there on order
and a head kit ordered before i even left the yard i thought it was a scrap dealer i was dealing with just sum old boy's son just getting rid of his dads hoard it was listed very lait last night sent him a masig he phoned today at 0800 was there for 10.00 there like rocking horse s......... been verl lucky to find it ::bigsmile: and and he sold me the gearbox as well

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If it was only turned over with the starter motor, it would be highly unlikely to do damage to the bottom end, having spent 50 years in the trade I have seen all manner of damage to heads/blocks/pistons/conrods ,have seen valves stems compressed by taking a piston hit after a timing belt failure , they needed new guides/valves/camshaft followers but bottom end was fine, but I would ask why remove a timing belt tensioner on a engine with only 19000 miles?
If it was me I would remove the head and look for damaged on the piston crown,
Usually the indentation is minor even though the valves are badly bent/compressed, bare in mind this is with a belt failure with a possible 3000 RPM at time of failure but is still rare to do the bottom end much damaged usually,

will have sump of in the morning got the full story when i went to met the guy it was his dads van it had been in his dads barn for ten years he was very old when he stooped driving it after a crash wat had happened is his dad had had the van in for a service it aper that the cam belt had been changed that day well on the way back the cam belt tensioner fell off owing to over torquing and the stud shred cousin the van to stop very sharply and a uninsured driver ran in to the back of him his dad wouldn't get rid of it eventually he dyed abut five weeks ago age 99 and the kids are just getting rid of his hoard there is thing there from years ago Austin maxi i have sum grate memories of them cars a mark one cortena in fairly good nick i have told a friend

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back