Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Ever since I bought my motorhome I have never been able to use my TV as I could not get a signal, despite having an oyster satellite, sky box and TV. Every time I tried I received the message saying "no signal being received." I am pleased to say thanks to advice received whilst at Lincoln show my TV is working fine.

Just in case anyone else is having a similar problem, my problem was my satellite dish was tuned to Astra 1 which apparently is now defunct; I had to go to manual settings on my Oyster control box and reset it to Astra 2. It now works fine.

Many thanks to all the Funsters at the Lincoln show who put up with me ranting on about my TV not working and for all the help given.

Norman

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Astra 1 is not defunct, it carries many of the European channels, miss tuned a dish 3 days ago and got Astra 1 ..... in German of course. :ROFLMAO:

A good place to watch many sports programmes live, as an alternative to paying for $ky, although the commentary will be foreign.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Astra 1 is not defunct, it carries many of the European channels, miss tuned a dish 3 days ago and got Astra 1 ..... in German of course. :ROFLMAO:

A good place to watch many sports programmes live, as an alternative to paying for $ky, although the commentary will be foreign.

Hmm never thought of that. I won't disturb the dish on the house but I will try in the van tomorrow, might get United's game, the English commentary is usually inane so German will be a bonus. :ROFLMAO: Ta!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
Was tuned to astra1 for the last 3 nights, get all the itv/c4 channels so its definitely not defunct but can be a bum to pick up sometimes.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Norman, had you made the meet in August we could have sorted it then.

Astra 1 and 2 are received at the same time and I find on the same heading you just need to tell the receiver to search for channels on Astra 1

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Norman, had you made the meet in August we could have sorted it then.

Astra 1 and 2 are received at the same time and I find on the same heading you just need to tell the receiver to search for channels on Astra 1

Astra 1 is on 19.2E:
Astra 1L 19.28°E
Astra 1M 19.23°E
Astra 2C 19.23°E

and

Astra 2 is on 28.2E:
Astra 1N 28.26°E
Astra 2A 28.26°E
Astra 2F 28.2°E
Astra 2D 28°E

Therefore not possible to receive both at the same time.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
My friends I simply pass on to you what I was told at the Lincoln show by a salesman for a tv satellite company selling satellites for caravans and motorhomes.
He told me the Astra 1 satellite had been replaced by a new satellite and to receive English TV channels I should retune my oyster satellite dish manually [HI]to [/HI]automatically receive Astra 2,
I do not know what my satellite dish was programmed to receive before but whatever it was I could not receive any TV signal at all. My TV has not been receiving a signal for 18 months so obviously something had gone wrong with the satellite it was tuned to.
I followed the salesman's advice today and I can now receive all free to air channels through my sky box.
My knowledge may be faulty, but my experience is real and I simply pass on my positive experience in order to help anyone else who may be experiencing a similar problem.

Norman

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
My friends I simply pass on to you what I was told at the Lincoln show by a salesman for a tv satellite company selling satellites for caravans and motorhomes.
He told me the Astra 1 satellite had been replaced by a new satellite and to receive English TV channels I should retune my oyster satellite dish manually [HI]to [/HI]automatically receive Astra 2,
I do not know what my satellite dish was programmed to receive before but whatever it was I could not receive any TV signal at all. My TV has not been receiving a signal for 18 months so obviously something had gone wrong with the satellite it was tuned to.
I followed the salesman's advice today and I can now receive all free to air channels through my sky box.
My knowledge may be faulty, but my experience is real and I simply pass on my positive experience in order to help anyone else who may be experiencing a similar problem.

Norman

Norman, you know what to do with that saleman!!!!!! WASTER......... What you have done is pointed to SKY UK sats now manually. He needs to find a new job as Astra 1 is the German SKY sat and other stations sat and there has not been anything wrong with that Sat in years AND is no were near the SKYUK Astra2 sats.................. It will NEVER EVER receive UK channels ( BBBC,ITV,CH4 etc NO WAY ), however does have many of the SKY UK channels like sky1, sky sports etc and all you do is change the audio channels.

I have automatic dish setup by Mobilsat ( 80cm dish ) and 13 E / 19E / 28.2E no problems. Having read loads of posts on this and other forms the oyster satellite dish system is not working right..........

It is a common fault of owners of manual and auto systems to "lock" onto Astra1 thinking that they have found Astra2 and UK Channels. The best thing to do is put your receiver onto Sky News channel before tuning the dish and when the channel clears and you see picture LOCK dish and then try the other channels like BBC ITV etc. This system I used for years before getting the dish on the roof and works every time.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Norman, you know what to do with that saleman!!!!!! WASTER......... What you have done is pointed to SKY UK sats now manually. He needs to find a new job as Astra 1 is the German SKY sat and other stations sat and there has not been anything wrong with that Sat in years AND is no were near the SKYUK Astra2 sats..................[HI] It will NEVER EVER receive UK channels ( BBBC,ITV,CH4 etc NO WAY ), [/HI]however does have many of the SKY UK channels like sky1, sky sports etc and all you do is change the audio channels.

I have automatic dish setup by Mobilsat ( 80cm dish ) and 13 E / 19E / 28.2E no problems. Having read loads of posts on this and other forms the oyster satellite dish system is not working right..........

It is a common fault of owners of manual and auto systems to "lock" onto Astra1 thinking that they have found Astra2 and UK Channels. The best thing to do is put your receiver onto Sky News channel before tuning the dish and when the channel clears and you see picture LOCK dish and then try the other channels like BBC ITV etc. This system I used for years before getting the dish on the roof and works every time.

John, I am living proof that I can now receive all the BBC, ITV, channel 4, 5 and many others by tuning to Astra 2.
I am not technical in any way but I question the practicality of being able to "Put my receiver onto sky news" when I am not receiving a signal.
As I am happy with the reception I am getting I have no intention of altering my satellite set up, even if the salesman has told me a load of rubbish.
His advice, whether correct or not, has resulted in my receiving a TV signal whereas the best attempts by others has resulted in failure.
Result for me "I am one happy bunny"

Norman

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Astra 1 is on 19.2E:
Astra 1L 19.28°E
Astra 1M 19.23°E
Astra 2C 19.23°E

and

Astra 2 is on 28.2E:
Astra 1N 28.26°E
Astra 2A 28.26°E
Astra 2F 28.2°E
Astra 2D 28°E

[HI]Therefore not possible to receive both at the same time[/HI].

I had better tell my Spanish friend then, as I was amazed when I went to his house near Seville and he can change from Astra 1 to Astra 2 and get English program's on both. He just tells the receiver to "look" for either one of them......and bingo! And he only has ONE lnb and dish.

I was watching both ::bigsmile::thumb:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I had better tell my Spanish friend then, as I was amazed when I went to his house near Seville and he can change from Astra 1 to Astra 2 and get English program's on both. He just tells the receiver to "look" for either one of them......and bingo! And he only has ONE lnb and dish.

I was watching both ::bigsmile::thumb:

I'm not getting into a stone throwing session here. Did you ask your friend if he had an " off set LNB system" for both sats????? thats how it can be done as the dish points between both sats and the LNB's are off set. I have been in the Satellite hobby for 10+ years so think I know enough to advise as and when.

Your friend will get UK channels ( NOT BBC or ITV on Astra 1 ) all he has to do is change the audio channels.

You CANNOT use this system on top of a MH........... the original poster was taking about his system on his MH roof.....

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
John, I am living proof that I can now receive all the BBC, ITV, channel 4, 5 and many others by tuning to Astra 2.
I am not technical in any way but I question the practicality of being able to "Put my receiver onto sky news" when I am not receiving a signal.
As I am happy with the reception I am getting I have no intention of altering my satellite set up, even if the salesman has told me a load of rubbish.
His advice, whether correct or not, has resulted in my receiving a TV signal whereas the best attempts by others has resulted in failure.
Result for me "I am one happy bunny"

Norman

Norman, you WILL receive BBC etc on Astra 2 THAT is the UK sat....... You should have been "tuning" to that sat in the first place. If you read my reply to you what I said was to help find the Astra 2 sat: 1.First thing is to put your receiver on Sky News channel 2. As you are manually tuning the sat dish watch the TV screen - when you have found the Astra 2 sat the picture will appear. 3. Lock dish on panel.

At the end of the day as you have stated you have a working system now so no problems enjoy it.

What annoys me is these "so called sales men" who will tell MH owners anything to make a sale.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Norman, you WILL receive BBC etc on Astra 2 THAT is the UK sat....... You should have been "tuning" to that sat in the first place. If you read my reply to you what I said was to help find the Astra 2 sat: 1.First thing is to put your receiver on Sky News channel 2. As you are manually tuning the sat dish watch the TV screen - when you have found the Astra 2 sat the picture will appear. 3. Lock dish on panel.

At the end of the day as you have stated you have a working system now so no problems enjoy it.

[HI]What annoys me is these "so called sales men" who will tell MH owners anything to make a sale[/HI].

I agree, but this time it he did not sell me anything. But you can't blame them for trying, to pay all the costs for a stall at one of these shows just to give out free advice to numpties like me is not cost effective.

Norman

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just to muddy the waters a little. I once had an old Oyster that used to lock onto Astra 1 then I had to manually retune to Astra 2 so I could watch freeview. When the Germans went digital, there was no signal for the sat to lock onto, so kept going round and round, trying to find a signal. I was quoted £650 to have the receiver upgraded to digital so made a solar tracker from it.
When I bought my present van in Germany it also had the Oyster sat, but without the DenHauge receiver. In place of the receiver there is just a box. When I got the van home and switched the system on I was dismayed to find it went straight to Astra 1 and thought it was another analogue system. But then realised that it must be digital as at least it had found a satellite. It was a simple job to set Astra 2 as the initial search satellite. Have had no problems since and have been able to watch Coronation Street all over Germany on this trip.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I'm not getting into a stone throwing session here. Did you ask your friend if he had an " off set LNB system" for both sats????? thats how it can be done as the dish points between both sats and the LNB's are off set. I have been in the Satellite hobby for 10+ years so think I know enough to advise as and when.

Your friend will get UK channels ( NOT BBC or ITV on Astra 1 ) all he has to do is change the audio channels.

You CANNOT use this system on top of a MH........... the original poster was taking about his system on his MH roof.....

No, No, I was not trying to start a mud slinging fight, all I really meant was that, I was VERY surprised that this Spanish friend of mine was able to watch both Astra1 and Astra 2 from one dish with one "Normal" LNB. He didnt move the dish, as said normal lnb and he was watching "English" TV on Astra 1 ( and like many people, I thought Astra 1 was dead.

As for BBC no he didnt have that, but I seem to think that he had some ITV stations, but I will try and check that tomorrow and report back.

So sorry if you thought that I was trying to wind you up Don Quixote :Smile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
No, No, I was not trying to start a mud slinging fight, all I really meant was that, I was VERY surprised that this Spanish friend of mine was able to watch both Astra1 and Astra 2 from one dish with one "Normal" LNB. He didnt move the dish, as said normal lnb and he was watching "English" TV on Astra 1 ( and like many people, I thought Astra 1 was dead.

As for BBC no he didnt have that, but I seem to think that he had some ITV stations, but I will try and check that tomorrow and report back.

So sorry if you thought that I was trying to wind you up Don Quixote :Smile:

No need to apologize, no offense was taken thank you. I'm 100% sure he is not getting ITV channels. What he is getting as I have just moved my dish to Astra 1 on 19E to check is the German Sky channels ( many of which are the same as the UK ones, however he is changing the audio channel to hear English instead of German. This I do when the sport is on and I cannot receive Sky UK on Astra 2 on 28.2 from where I staying in the MH, as I can decode any channel on any satellite ( google "card sharing" if you what to do this ).

Many MH owners have a motorised satellite system, but fail to use it to the full potential having (a) not been shown how to use it correctly by the fitter (b) do not read the instructions. believing that they can only receive Astra 2 on 28E. This is a waste of a great system and providing you have a good receiver ( not the amstrad crap provided by Sky UK ) the sky is the limit to how many channels you can receive.

To date I can move the dish on the MH ( depending on line of site to the sats ) across 9 satellites and change the audio to English in the menu on the receiver and enjoy the channel. This is getting away from the original post so will stop there.

At the end of the day as long as the original poster is sorted and happy that his system is now at long last working on Astra 2 as he wanted in the first place. Sorted......

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hello John, I am not sure which Oyster I have at the moment as there seems to be so many different ones. The receiver part is just a black box and when I scan through the channels and move away from Sky2 it will move to whichever satellite the channel is on. There are as you say a lot of satellites to chose from, but to be honest there are more than enough for me on Astra 2.
I suppose I should experiment more with the system, but knowing my luck I would never find Astra 2 again.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Hello John, I am not sure which Oyster I have at the moment as there seems to be so many different ones. The receiver part is just a black box and when I scan through the channels and move away from Sky2 it will move to whichever satellite the channel is on. There are as you say a lot of satellites to chose from, but to be honest there are more than enough for me on Astra 2.
I suppose I should experiment more with the system, but knowing my luck I would never find Astra 2 again.

Your missing out on loads of channels across the satellites, however I fully understand you worry about losing Astra 2. What works for you works, you never know next year whilst we are back in UK on annual pilgrimage we might meet up at one of the funister meets and I can give you a demo of what is out there.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Your missing out on loads of channels across the satellites, however I fully understand you worry about losing Astra 2. What works for you works, you never know next year whilst we are back in UK on annual pilgrimage we might meet up at one of the funister meets and I can give you a demo of what is out there.

That sounds good :thumb:. I did used to mess about with non UK satellites years ago with cam cards and all that stuff, but am well out of my depth with it all now. I was in Morocco a few years ago and my cam stopped working. I went to the local satellite shop and was told that cams were old hat, they had self updating receivers long before we had them in the UK. If you look at the terrain in Germany you will understand why they have always had satellite TV. Ground plane TV is about as much use in mountain's as teats on a boar hog.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Well I spent a couple of hours on and off tuning into Astra 1 this afternoon, auto setup found about 600 channels, quite a few of them Sky Sports which were scrambled and after scrolling through the first 200 or so I gave up trying to find my game. :Sad: There's still Hotbird, Sirius, AB3 and Hispasat to go though! :Doh:

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
Congrats on getting your tv sorted Norman :thumb: my Jim is struggling no end with his tv reception so your post has generated lots of useful info I'm hoping will make sense to him...although its all complete gobbledegook to me :Doh:

The Maplins catalogue just confuses the hell out of me, big black boxes, small black boxes...:Eeek::imoutahere:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Well I spent a couple of hours on and off tuning into Astra 1 this afternoon, auto setup found about 600 channels, quite a few of them Sky Sports which were scrambled and after scrolling through the first 200 or so I gave up trying to find my game. :Sad: There's still Hotbird, Sirius, AB3 and Hispasat to go though! :Doh:

Unless you are tuning Astra 1 for the German channels ( then change the Audio settings on your receiver box ) your wasting time as all the Sky Sports are scrambled and without a German Sky Card they will not clear. Same for Hotbird ( 13E ) as thats Sky Italy as for Sirius some free to air channels with UK Audio and Hispasat has BBC channels but again you need the decoding codes to clear the channel. Have fun.

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
Strange confusing opinions, I get all the ITV channels on Astra1 and the full C4 range but no BBC. Only used Astra2 the once but sure I got ITV as I had the kids CITV channel on for the child :Smile:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Strange confusing opinions, I get all the ITV channels on Astra1 and the full C4 range but no BBC. Only used Astra2 the once but sure I got ITV as I had the kids CITV channel on for the child :Smile:

You cannot NOT get ITV on Astra 1 PLEASE read:

http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-1KR-1L-1M-2C.html

Thats what you get on Astra 1.

Now Astra 2: ( which has Astra 1N ) not Astra 1....... which has: Astra 1N, Astra 2F, Astra 2A and Astra 2D

http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

Looks like you are confused and tuned to Astra 2............

Last edited:

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
You cannot NOT get ITV on Astra 1 PLEASE read:

http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-1KR-1L-1M-2C.html

Thats what you get on Astra 1.

Now Astra 2: ( which has Astra 1N ) not Astra 1....... which has: Astra 1N, Astra 2F, Astra 2A and Astra 2D

http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

Looks like you are confused and tuned to Astra 2............

So I could be on Astra 1n? Im no expert just getting to grips with this stuff, its an older box and when I choose the satellite it says Astra1 and I have used Astra2 before when I could not pick up 1 (or 1n) but never noticed any BBC channels..... PS its a manual dish so I just point till I get a signal, only takes five mins now I have the hang of it :thumb:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
So I could be on Astra 1n? Im no expert just getting to grips with this stuff, its an older box and when I choose the satellite it says Astra1 and I have used Astra2 before when I could not pick up 1 (or 1n) but never noticed any BBC channels..... PS its a manual dish so I just point till I get a signal, only takes five mins now I have the hang of it :thumb:

You are on Sky UK Satellite as your getting ITV the problem is the receiver ( not your dish or LNB ) as many channels have moved onto different transponders and your receiver may not have the up to date transponder list or it may just need to rescan if it has that facility.

Time to get the manual out and read it to see if it can rescan the transponders. Then you will have all the channels.

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
You are on Sky UK Satellite as your getting ITV the problem is the receiver ( not your dish or LNB ) as many channels have moved onto different transponders and your receiver may not have the up to date transponder list or it may just need to rescan if it has that facility.

Time to get the manual out and read it to see if it can rescan the transponders. Then you will have all the channels.

Cheers for the advice, looking to get a new box over the winter as the old one is a tad unsightly. Any advice on which box to look at? :thumb:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Cheers for the advice, looking to get a new box over the winter as the old one is a tad unsightly. Any advice on which box to look at? :thumb:

I'm just back after a week away and unpacking, so will reply fully later today.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I asked my Spanish friend to email me the list of channels that he can get on Astra 1 at his house with a fixed dish.

This is the list he sent to me:

1º. BBC News
2º. BBC1 London
3º. BBC2 Englan
4º. BBC FOUR
5º. CBBC Channel
6º. Cbeebies
7º. CITV
8º. Community Chnl
9º. ETV5
10º. ETV6
11º. ITV
12º. ITV+1
13º. ITV2
14º. PICK TV
15º. PICK TV+1
16º. S1test
17º. Sky News
18º. Sky Nws Arabia
19º. TV Highlights

I do note that he is receiving ITV and ITV+, I forgot to ask if he has to change the language to English, but I cannot see that if he had to, it would be a problem.

I hope this helps.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back