Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I am trying to cost the return trip to Jim's February meet in Portugal by driving and by ferry to Santander or Bilbao. Have managed most of the costs but trying to get a cost for the ferry is driving me balmy as they don't tell me on the site when the ferries run and when enter a date they come back and say there are no ferries running on that day.
I know some of you have already booked ferry tickets so I wonder if anyone can give me a rough cost for a 7m motorhome with two adult passengers.

Many thanks

Norman

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
I am trying to cost the return trip to Jim's February meet in Portugal by driving and by ferry to Santander or Bilbao.
Norman

This will depend on which cabins you decide to book. I think you are looking at between £750 - £850 if you book early, the later you book the higher the price will be.

You should also ask for a 'code' from a Funster before you book - the Makems kindly helped us. You get 10% off and they get £10 - win win!

The ferrys travel on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursdays. Portsmouth - Santander is on Tuesdays and more importantly arrives around lunch time allowing time to drive in day light. I thnik the Sunday ferry arrives around 5.30pm.

We return via Bilboa (you can overnight at the port) depart 3ish returning to Potsmouth 2ish

I suggest you might telephone if you are unsure - they are very helpful.

Hope the above helps :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i get the ferry times and dates on the brittany ferry site . you will be portsmouth to santander or bilbao.
press return route
them portsmouth santander
then go.
page changes so outbound date january 2014
you have 3rd.10th .17th,24th,31.
if you follow the continue bit fill in your m,home etc then you get the times . you can also change to bilbao at this point or vice versa .
give me a pm if you still struggle . or ring brittany ferries .
i dont have a cabin . i always try to get the pont de avon boat as they let you have a seat .
i,m mean dont like the price of cabins .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
i get the ferry times and dates on the brittany ferry site . you will be portsmouth to santander or bilbao.
press return route
them portsmouth santander
then go.
page changes so outbound date january 2014
you have 3rd.10th .17th,24th,31.
if you follow the continue bit fill in your m,home etc then you get the times . you can also change to bilbao at this point or vice versa .
give me a pm if you still struggle . or ring brittany ferries .
i dont have a cabin . i always try to get the pont de avon boat as they let you have a seat .
i,m mean dont like the price of cabins .

Thanks, that worked fine; can't think why I was having problems before

Norman

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say i use their site as a guide .but find ringing them to book is best .
portsmouth to bilbao can look cheaper but usually you have to have cabins on that crossing and the return .
santander if your mean like me its a seat and sleep on the seats in the restaurant . hee hee .
saves a few shilling .
have fun . i,m on the last one out from plymouth next month . there seems to be a few on that crossing . might not be any sleep .ha ha .

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I doubt very much that it will be cheaper than driving from Calais Norman. You will also miss the drive down, lets face it you are retired, so take your time and drive all the way.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, roger , it can be cheaper .
certainly from here to get a cheap ferry its a long drive to the port .
at 16mpg its much cheaper to catch the ferry at plymouth and in 24hrs i,m at santander . using a mates code this year it is 612.20 quid leave nov .come back in april .
no cabins just a seat.
cant drive to dover and back and up and down in france and be cheaper .
i quite like the drive through france but in winter it can be a bit rough .
plus saves a bit of wear n tear on the vehicle .could save 2,000mls or there abouts

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I doubt very much that it will be cheaper than driving from Calais Norman. You will also miss the drive down, lets face it you are retired, so take your time and drive all the way.

You are right; on my calculations it is about £500 cheaper to drive and that does not take into account food that will need to be bought on the ferry.

Norman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back