Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Any one used and had a result from these VHS to USB2 capture devices available on e bay circa £5
Is there a better way
Geo
PS you can see from my willingness to spend £5 im pretty serious about VHS capture:RollEyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
unless you have a pretty well specced up pc or laptop,the usb video capture devices are super slow. mine has 3ghz processor and 8gig of ram with about 500gb of free disk space. it takes about double the length of time that the video has recorded to capture, render and burn a dvd. so 3 hours for a normal 90minute film. you cant use the computer at the same time or you get jumps and distortion in the finished video. you wont know how its going till the recordings finished.

i use a vhs to dvd player/recorder dedicated box to convert my old dvds. cost under £100 from maplin and and i use it as a spare dvd player in the bedroom when not copying videos. takes about the same time as playing the video. just put VHS tape in and blank DVD. set it running and off you go to do whatever or sit and watch the video as it records

basically the usb type are cheap because theyre old tech and not very good at what they do:thumb:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I will see if I can find mine, and send it to you. If the video is protected by macro media you need to cheat the protection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
unless you have a pretty well specced up pc or laptop,the usb video capture devices are super slow. mine has 3ghz processor and 8gig of ram with about 500gb of free disk space. it takes about double the length of time that the video has recorded to capture, render and burn a dvd. so 3 hours for a normal 90minute film. you cant use the computer at the same time or you get jumps and distortion in the finished video. you wont know how its going till the recordings finished.

i use a vhs to dvd player/recorder dedicated box to convert my old dvds. cost under £100 from maplin and and i use it as a spare dvd player in the bedroom when not copying videos. takes about the same time as playing the video. just put VHS tape in and blank DVD. set it running and off you go to do whatever or sit and watch the video as it records

basically the usb type are cheap because theyre old tech and not very good at what they do:thumb:

Funny how some things happen.

I was in Maplins yesterday looking at some form of VHS - DVD conversion sytem as I want to comvert all my video films to DVD.

Thanks for the information, It opened my eyes to the drawbacks.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I use one some times -- Pinnacle systems /Dazzle converter works ok.
Does VHS and S VHS to digital through a on screen edit.
years old now

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Available from Lidl, Monday 3rd October.

Broken Link Removed

Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Luckily my camcorder has a firewire connector.I bought a firewire card for the pc,less dropped shots mean a smoother video.Usb2 is slow .
I use roxio or nero to capture and burn.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
I have an EasyCap connector (don't know if that is the one you've seen) and have transferred a few videos to digital with reasonably good results. Obviously you are not going to get DVD quality but they are definitely watchable.

Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back