best place in calais to stock up (1 Viewer)

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Hi, we are heading for home via Calais Monday and are wondering where the best place is to stock up on wine/beer/cheese etc. This is our first visit to Calais but certainly won't be our last. Had great time over the last month on our first visit to France in MH.

We have only had one real problem - the habitation door has dropped and we have had to use only the cab doors in case it got worse and we couldn't close it. Presumably as only 10 months old this will come under warranty? :Cool:

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Eurocite, just before Calais, probably not the cheapest but easy to park and loads of choice, I think it's J6, you can see it from the motorway.:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi, we are heading for home via Calais Monday and are wondering where the best place is to stock up on wine/beer/cheese etc. This is our first visit to Calais but certainly won't be our last. Had great time over the last month on our first visit to France in MH.

We have only had one real problem - the habitation door has dropped and we have had to use only the cab doors in case it got worse and we couldn't close it. Presumably as only 10 months old this will come under warranty? :Cool:
Hi Patch,

Rue Marcel Doret, is one place to go, as there is The Calais Wine Superstore selling beer and wine, (best prices) but no spirits. Next door is Majestic Wines, selling beer wine and spirits. Up to the roundabout and turn left, and down at the bottom of the road is Pidous, selling all sorts. Good availability, but I found their beers to be dearer than Calais Wine Superstore. East Enders and Cheers on the same trading estate closed down some years ago.

There may be other places, but I am not aware of them. There is a Carrefour at Cite Europe, but Tescos and Sainsburys have moved out apparently.

HTH. :thumb:

Jock.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I'd go along with Merc0385 as above, the Auchan is good, loads of parking and there is an Auchan filling station opposite. Quite a few people I've met on our travels use the same one as first stop, last shop when in France.

Rgds
Bill

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I'd go along with Merc0385 as above, the Auchan is good, loads of parking and there is an Auchan filling station opposite. Quite a few people I've met on our travels use the same one as first stop, last shop when in France.

Rgds
Bill
I've not been to that one myself Bill, (and Merc0385) but it sounds like one to do next time. :winky:

We stop over at Gravelines, so get our fuel at the nearby Super U. €1.36 for Diesel last Friday.

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can never get any sense out of the wine warehouses, always cheaper in cite Europe plenty excelent reds for just over a pound , can never find anything cheaper in warehouses , handy for the tunnel and can stay all night if you want, free, same with gravelines and super u or lidl

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Pidou

was fillling up with diesel at Auchen and a truckie suggested PIDOU as all truckies use it and by far the best so he said. We went there and there is a agood selection at good prices.
Outside there is a snack shack and 1/2 chicken and chips for E 6 enough for two.
Pidou
190 rue Marcel Dassault
Calais
I think we came off at Junc 47 and worth a look and the other warehouses are nearby

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
was fillling up with diesel at Auchen and a truckie suggested PIDOU as all truckies use it and by far the best so he said. We went there and there is a agood selection at good prices.
[HI]
Outside there is a snack shack and 1/2 chicken and chips for E 6 enough for two.
Pidou
[/HI]190 rue Marcel Dassault
Calais
I think we came off at Junc 47 and worth a look and the other warehouses are nearby

and they serve superb hot dogs with onions !
It's the roundabout by the University, Junction 3.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Any supermarket ... best choice and best prices.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I can never get any sense out of the wine warehouses, always cheaper in cite Europe plenty excelent reds for just over a pound , can never find anything cheaper in warehouses , handy for the tunnel and can stay all night if you want, free, same with gravelines and super u or lidl
At Pidou's, I picked up a carton of very nice South African Red for less than a fiver, and a carton of Sangria (yes, that's sad I know :roflmto: ) for roughly the same. Rita picked up her Absolution and Blue Smirnoff Vodkas.............only to find that P&O had a deal on with the Smirnoff Blue onboard. Some you win, and some you lose, eh?
My St Omer 8.0% was €20 (£17) at Pidou for 24 x 500ml, but only €17 (£14.45) at Calais Wine Superstore. My Pineau de Charentes (Rouge & Blanc) from Pidou was the same as I had paid at Carrefour in years past

Cheers,

Jock.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
They do some decent deals on decent wine at the Eurotunnel terminal on the French side.
I am not that keen on French wine myself ( except for some reds from Bordeaux).

OP
OP
P

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Thanks all. Have decided on such an. Now where should we stay tonight.........:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
P

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
That should of course say auchan. Tablet tends to predict. If only it could predict the best supermarkets and sites!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back