3G router with wifi and usb connections? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I have a Mi-Fi for our internet (No fixed line) I have been looking for a 3G router that will take the simm out of the mi-fi, but one that will also at as a server for a 1 terrabyte usb hard disk and connect over wifi.

I just want to tidy things up, so the router and usb disk can be stuck in a cupboard out of the way.

Ian

Last edited:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have a look at the alfa Network r36 router, you can plug a 3g dongle into this and it has eathernet connection as well , works on 12volt or 240v is WiFi also so you can share your internet like your midi. I have one in my van for over 2 years now and just connect it to my long rand WiFi ariel

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Have a look at the alfa Network r36 router, you can plug a 3g dongle into this and it has eathernet connection as well , works on 12volt or 240v is WiFi also so you can share your internet like your midi. I have one in my van for over 2 years now and just connect it to my long rand WiFi ariel

Thanks.. that looks good:thumb: Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We use it all the time with our long range Ariel and it works great , there is also two different softwares for this to use different Ariel's with different ralink chip sets

1 firmware for b+g wifi Ariel's and newer firmware for n type wifi ariels

Last edited:
OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Sounds good but its only a wifi receiver or extender, it will take the signal from my mifi but won't improve on the 3g signal from the mast, only the mifi's broadcast wifi signal, and it doesn't look as if I can connect a hard disk to it and access that disk over wifi.

I am looking for a modem/router that takes the mifi simm card, and allows a hard disk to be connected to it, and allows that disk to be accessed over wifi by any device connected to its wifi network. Be even better if it also connected to any local wifi hotspots.::bigsmile:

Gap in the market maybe? You fire your tablet up and connect to the net, next you access the hard drive to watch a film, another user fires up a brand new tablet and can immediatly access all their files. Simples. ::bigsmile:

Ian

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Hi I have a Mi-Fi for our internet (No fixed line) I have been looking for a 3G router that will take the simm out of the mi-fi, but one that will also at as a server for a 1 terrabyte usb hard disk and connect over wifi.

I just want to tidy things up, so the router and usb disk can be stuck in a cupboard out of the way.

Ian

Have a look here http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/
then talk to Adam or Sophie about what you want to achieve. They know their stuff. Not cheap, but at least you won't be wasting cash on something that may or may not work.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sounds good but its only a wifi receiver or extender, it will take the signal from my mifi but won't improve on the 3g signal from the mast, only the mifi's broadcast wifi signal, and it doesn't look as if I can connect a hard disk to it and access that disk over wifi.

I am looking for a modem/router that takes the mifi simm card, and allows a hard disk to be connected to it, and allows that disk to be accessed over wifi by any device connected to its wifi network. Be even better if it also connected to any local wifi hotspots.::bigsmile:

Gap in the market maybe? You fire your tablet up and connect to the net, next you access the hard drive to watch a film, another user fires up a brand new tablet and can immediatly access all their files. Simples. ::bigsmile:

Ian
go to, broadband buyer and Im sure you will find exactly what you want r they are not agents for some one else just good suppliers of some of the best equipment out there ..no i dont work for them but have been dealing with them for years!!!!

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

I just want to tidy things up, so the router and usb disk can be stuck in a cupboard out of the way. Ian

Hi Ian,

Have you thought about changing the hard drive to a WiFi enabled NAS (network attached storage) drive which would then work with your existing MiFi or router?

You tend to find routers with USB support never quite works in the way you intend, while a dedicated NAS drive has been designed to do one thing vs a router which is designed to do 10 things - one of which might be to support file sharing.

Adam
www.motorhomewifi.com

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Adam how would that work with the mifi? Could I connect the nas to the mifi's wifi and then would it be visable to all connected devices?

Ian

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Adam how would that work with the mifi? Could I connect the nas to the mifi's wifi and then would it be visable to all connected devices?

Ian

It would connect via WiFi and would count as one of your MiFi 5 devices (or possibly 8 if its a E5332 or similar). Then any device connected to the MiFi would be able to see it and share files. We see a lot of routers but I've always found a dedicated NAS drive performs better than a router and a USB drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back