Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm sure you are aware that these kits are still required in France Saw a notice on P&O ferries yesterday to the effect that they have dropped the E 11 fine but if caught without a kit you will need to report to a police station with one within 5 days.
A lot of hassle just for a small outlay to purchase the kit

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Surely it couldn't be a ploy by P&O ferries to make more unsuspecting tourists buy their huge stock of "French Breathalyser Kits" at over inflated prices.....:RollEyes:

Or am I just becoming an old cynic.... (in true Funster tradition)......:winky:

::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
"as per the aa website which has no financial incentive nit like the ferry companies"

AA-European-Breakdown-Kit-and-breathalyser_900.jpg

Broken Link Removed

But still better value than P&O......:Doh:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Well.

A gendarme stops me. Checks my papers. All ok but no breathalyser.

Whoops.

So he is going to fill in the paperwork needed for me to go to a police station within five days having acquired aforementioned item.

Then he is going to check whether I have or not.

Then, when he finds that I haven't, he will hand the matter over to another department so they can track me down through the Portuguese authorities to get the €60(ish) fine?

As teenagers would say...

"Yeah right".

There is a reason for everything and I very much doubt P&O's reason for the breathalyser notice is to prevent you from getting into trouble with the French authorities.

JJ :Cool:

PS. In over thirty years of continental touring through France, Germany, Austria, Bulgaria, Italy, Turkey, Greece, the former Yugoslavia, Spain, Portugal and even bloody Switzerland I have NEVER been asked to produce...

High viz jackets.
First aid kit.
Bulb set.
Hazard triangles.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
wat it cost just carry them then you wont nead to worry then should i have them or not:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I guess P & O are trying to shift their stock any way they can.

Never had one and will not be getting one. I'm over there three time a year. I just roll down the little wheel on the headlights to stop any dazzle, but then I tend not to use the motorways and tourist routes that the French Police seem to favour for their checks

OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Kits

my first thought was how they would enforce this but it will be interesting to read if someone WAs stopped by the Frence Police or had an accident and was over the limit etc No excuse. We all buy Road Tax, health insurance and vehicle insurance so whats a few ££
But I know from another post there will be lots of dissenters.

OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
JJ

Can I assume that you do carry all the kit you mentioned above.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You're kiding :roflmto:Never... He's got someone on board who will deal with the Gendarmerie or Police or whoever dares to show up when in France and when the said person is on board!

Frogs are small but they 've got a b****y big mouth sometimes (or a big smile or ... errrr a short skirt::bigsmile::winky:)

Amicalement

Frankie:Cool:

PS: Never been asked anything since I have my driving licence , and that was 36 years ago, and I've been controlled a few times!:Cool:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I do carry all the kit required, including 2xbreathalysers. However they go out of date soon, so probably will not replace them. At least with most of the other stuff you can see a purpose, however the breathalysers just look like a money making scam.
If you do need to buy them French supermarkets are usually cheaper, never buy anything like this on the ferry as you will pay through the nose.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
If you really are worried about being stopped then buy in France !! Cheaper by far . Ferries as said jst want to clear their stocks !!

I bought initially as I live here but have no intentions if replacing if out of date. In fact they may be as I haven't checked :RollEyes:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

My brother was in a 3 car smash in Normandy over the summer.

3 police cars came, it was swarming with Gendarmes.

He wasnt asked to produce a breathalyser, high viz jackets, warning triangles or indeed anything at all.

Just as well::bigsmile:

Oh and he didnt have beam deflectors on either:Doh:

We both love living on the edge::bigsmile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
My brother was in a 3 car smash in Normandy over the summer.

3 police cars came, it was swarming with Gendarmes.

He wasnt asked to produce a breathalyser, high viz jackets, warning triangles or indeed anything at all.

Just as well::bigsmile:

[HI][HI]Oh and he didnt have beam deflectors on either:[/HI][/HI]Doh:

We both love living on the edge::bigsmile:

Never had those, I only drive in the daylight hours !!!:Doh:

Incidentally, have you ever seen a foreign registered vehicle with them on !!:Eeek:

To quote JJ......." Yea right " ....:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
do beam deflectors actually work? I can never tell if I have them in the right postion on the headlamp and when driving I cant work out if I have deflected the beam properly. I remember a few years ago driving at night in France and being flashed a few times with my dipped beam on and headlamp deflectors.

cheers

Steve

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
do beam deflectors actually work? I can never tell if I have them in the right postion on the headlamp and when driving I cant work out if I have deflected the beam properly. I remember a few years ago driving at night in France and being flashed a few times with my dipped beam on and headlamp deflectors.

cheers

Steve

I have never bothered with them.

I get flashed in this country if I am driving a car with decent headlights on dip.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I have never bothered with them.

I get flashed in this country if I am driving a car with decent headlights on dip.

Yeah but thats just to tell you to keep the noise down. I couldnt help but notice you wernt at Fairlight the weekend :ROFLMAO:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
This is the latest about the Breathalyser kits. Not heard anything official to conflict with it so I guess the situation is still the same.
"The French minister of interior has announced an indefinite delay on the introduction of fines for motorists that do not carry a breathalyser kit.
The fines were due to be introduced in March 2013, having already been delayed from November 2012 due to a shortage of kits. All drivers in France, including motorcyclists, are required to carry a breathalyser kit and the €11 (about £9.50) fine for not carrying one would have been applicable to all road users, except those on mopeds.
Although a self-test breathalyser remains a requirement, the decision means there is no legislation to enforce a fine for non-compliance
".

I have one in the glovebox as well as the other mandatory items and fit headlamp deflectors. You can get fined for not having deflectors fitted, even if its a sunny day if you get an ar*ey gendarme.
I also disable the speed camera warning in my satnav and phone... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Allan

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
We almost went actually.::bigsmile:

WE walked into Hastings again,this time via Fairlight and the fire hills. My god what a trek.Its all climbs and declines,steep ones at that.We never even took a drink as we had no idea it was such hard going but we are going back this weekend to do it again but have a good look around this time with a ruck sack full of stuff.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This is the latest about the Breathalyser kits. Not heard anything official to conflict with it so I guess the situation is still the same.
"The French minister of interior has announced an indefinite delay on the introduction of fines for motorists that do not carry a breathalyser kit.
The fines were due to be introduced in March 2013, having already been delayed from November 2012 due to a shortage of kits. All drivers in France, including motorcyclists, are required to carry a breathalyser kit and the €11 (about £9.50) fine for not carrying one would have been applicable to all road users, except those on mopeds.
Although a self-test breathalyser remains a requirement, the decision means there is no legislation to enforce a fine for non-compliance
".

I have one in the glovebox as well as the other mandatory items and fit headlamp deflectors. [HI]You can get fined for not having deflectors fitted,[/HI] even if its a sunny day if you get an ar*ey gendarme.
I also disable the speed camera warning in my satnav and phone... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Allan

You can get gassed too.............:RollEyes:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Bloody Hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ROFLMAO:
".

[HI][HI]I have one in the glovebox as well as the other mandatory items[/HI][/HI] and fit headlamp deflectors. You can get fined for not having deflectors fitted, even if its a sunny day if you get an ar*ey gendarme.
I also disable the speed camera warning in my satnav and phone... :Ro
Allan
Oh Please! !!!! What size is your glovebox ....:Doh:....My warning triangles only just fit under the seat !:Eeek:..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
WE walked into Hastings again,this time via Fairlight and the fire hills. My god what a trek.Its all climbs and declines,steep ones at that.We never even took a drink as we had no idea it was such hard going but we are going back this weekend to do it again but have a good look around this time with a ruck sack full of stuff.

Just put your feet up and then have a gentle stroll up to the pub.

That's all I did last time there::bigsmile:

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999

cheers

Steve

Easy way to check park about 2 meters away from a flat surface, garage or house wall is ideal , switch the head lamps on dipped beam and you will see an image like a laid back 'L' .
When you have fitted the beam deflectors you should have a flat topped beam, you can achieve pretty much the same result quite easily just by sticking black insulation tape on the lens and trimming with a Stanley knife be careful if you have plastic head lamp lens though.

dave e

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
As far as I understand it the indefinite delay on introducing fines for not carrying breathalysers is still the case . So why buy something that effectively has no penalty for non compliance ? Then bin and renew the item when it reaches a use by date ? Thats just lining the pockets of suppliers for no reason .

The ferries with their grossly overpriced breathalysers and their vague quoting of legalities in their marketing of the things wouldnt maybe have anything to do with them having vast stocks of a fast approaching use by date item ?

We actually do carry the other emergency stuff >>> high viz jackets , bulbs , fuses , triangle , first aid kit etc . For us , it genuinely seems a sensible list of kit to have on board . Not the crazy cost AA or ferry Co"s offerings. The whole lot came to around £14 or so , inc of the beam deflectors . Bought via Amazon and the local pound shop .

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back