Connecting 2 leisure batteries...... (1 Viewer)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Quick question to those in the know......I have space in battery locker to fit two leisure batteries alongside one another, so want to put two 110aH batteries next to each other, connected in parallel, neg to neg and plus to plus, but my question is how on earth do I make the connections as the battery poles are not that long and will definitely not easily accommodate two sets of battery clamps........?

What is recommended and what diameter cable should be used? Also should I put an inline fuse between the pos terminals of the two batteries ? It is such a short run as they are next to each other.

Assuming best practice is to use the double battery supply by using the pos pole of the one and the neg pole of the other.

Assuming that one of the neg poles is earthed with a strap to chassis, yet another thing to fit on the battery pole!! :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks, I have Clive Mott's link, it does set it all out quite clearly, but what nobody seems to do is give practical advice on what connectors would be best, etc - all the practicalities of what specific connector /strap/clamp /cable is recommended. How do people get two lots of clamps onto relatively short battery posts? Or would a set of traditional clamps and a set of quick release clamps work? I guess thats probably the way forward........and clamping a neg to the body with an earth strap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
You can buy battery terminals that allow you to connect two wires into them. Look on Halfords site and search for battery connections.
If your batteries are next to each other you will only need the existing earth lead that is there.
Cable, connectors and fuses can also be bought at Halfords, also at most car accessory shops.
Looking on the Halfords site should give you some ideas, but I am sure someone will be along to give professional advice soon.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure about Adria but Autotrail.

Have a kit of wire,fuses and connectors with the associated plugs already installed in the van.

Don't buy the kit from makers but alas I can't tell you where I did as we are not home at the moment.

Wiring kit was about £15 and only took about 10 minutes to fit :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Link Removed
these allow lots to be connected to a battery.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
New connectors were required on mine. Similar to the one's Alan Highlights above. Allowing for the use of two round terminal connectors.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks for that, have bought a pair of those and about to order cable now - should I go for a thicker cable to connect the two batteries given they will be 2x 110aH ?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Thanks for that, have bought a pair of those and about to order cable now - should I go for a thicker cable to connect the two batteries given they will be 2x 110aH ?

Yes I would and did. The cable on mine was totally inadequate. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

as the batteries are next to each other you will only need one fuse, providing there is NO POSSIBILITY of the interlink cable being damaged.

the fuse will protect the batteries if one develops an internal earth fault.
if not already fitted in the vans supply wire, place another as close as possible to the battery in the positive wire

a 30 amp fuse will be adequate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks for all above, will order better cable, any opinions on the best thickness to use for the 110 batteries?

Also, should there be an inline fuse between positives of battery 1 and battery 2 as well as a fuse in the connection from the vehicle battery positive to battery - just checking pappajohn!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Quick question to those in the know......I have space in battery locker to fit two leisure batteries alongside one another, so want to put two 110aH batteries next to each other, connected in parallel, neg to neg and plus to plus, but my question is how on earth do I make the connections as the battery poles are not that long and will definitely not easily accommodate two sets of battery clamps........?

What is recommended and what diameter cable should be used? Also should I put an inline fuse between the pos terminals of the two batteries ? It is such a short run as they are next to each other.

Assuming best practice is to use the double battery supply by using the pos pole of the one and the neg pole of the other.

Assuming that one of the neg poles is earthed with a strap to chassis, yet another thing to fit on the battery pole!! :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

try these types
$(KGrHqN,!qEFG0tnvfYUBR3+,5y67w~~60_1.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!nwFIuBdwSYQBSQqDrCdNw~~60_1.JPG

$T2eC16JHJF8E9nnC6U0,BQ-db4we6g~~60_1.JPG
#

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.