Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
2years but caravanned for years
One of the things that really bugs me is a music player that runs for an hour at a time. The California is like that - are motorhomes or is the music system powered via the leisure battery?

Secondly - has anyone upgraded their systems to encompass iPod/or other storage media?

Cheers

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We use a Bose Portable I-Pod Dock, both at home and when we are away in the van. It is battery operated and can be charged from both a 240 volt supply and a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket. The battery can last from 5-6 hours the sound quality is superb.

Brisey.

Upvote 0

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Got an AUX fitted in my glovebox lead from this into my S4 and our own choice of music played through speakers fitted in van, works great!!:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We bought a Dr Dre beatbox that connects to your phone luckily for the rest of you we wild camp at our local airfield where AC/DC ,Iron Maiden and others shake the van lol and there is no one around for miles to annoy ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We use a Bose Portable I-Pod Dock, both at home and when we are away in the van. It is battery operated and can be charged from both a 240 volt supply and a 12 volt cigarette lighter socket. The battery can last from 5-6 hours the sound quality is superb.

Brisey.

The trouble with listening to someone elses quality sound system is that you realise how poor your own system is. Hence we now have a Bose sound link bluetooth speaker. Rechargeable 12v/240v. Beautiful sound quality.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Radio

My

I can only help with Fiat MultiJet radios. The radio in there can be programmed to stay on for up to three hours. I wrote this article about how to set it to do so.

Setting the timer for switch off MultiJet

Aside from that, I am replacing the standard speakers in the motorhome with Bose ones for a better sound.

I think you can get adaptor things that will let you connect an Ipad thing to most connections.

Russell

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Rapido radio can switch to leisure batery when the ig,ition is off.

Also has Ipod connection in glove box.

Radio is factory fitted.

Not always the case in Belgium with motorhomes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LickeyEndBlues

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
Got an AUX fitted in my glovebox lead from this into my S4 and our own choice of music played through speakers fitted in van, works great!!:thumb::thumb:

Does it cut out though after an hour? We've an aux input for the California which is great when we are on the move but it cuts out when we are parked up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LickeyEndBlues

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
Thanks folks.
We have a JBL dock that we used to use in hotels and in our static van which kicks out a fine sound. We now take it in the Cali but I feel that the music system should be more integrated when you are parked up.

Paying £50k for a 'van/motorhome and you have to keep turning the music on is a tad archaic!!

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Our MH has an after market system. Pioneer with integrated sat-nav, USB 'in' for memory stick or iPod, aswell as SD card and CD/DVD (Radio too!). Also displayed the rear view camera when selected. There is also a three way switch,which means the unit can be run only when the ignition is on, or at all times (when parked for example).

You could probably take your Cali to a car sound place and get it changed to play straight from the battery rather than per hour when the ignition is off.

Upvote 0

glenstu

Free Member
Mar 6, 2013
Gainsborough ,Lincs
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
:thumb:What brilliant information. The radio on my Peugeot Boxer would only stay on for 20 minutes and when I had the van serviced at Peugeot dealers this year, I asked them if the timer could be altered and they said no. So just to let everyone know your method also works on Peugeot radios. Many thanks
My

I can only help with Fiat MultiJet radios. The radio in there can be programmed to stay on for up to three hours. I wrote this article about how to set it to do so.

Aside from that, I am replacing the standard speakers in the motorhome with Bose ones for a better sound.

I think you can get adaptor things that will let you connect an Ipad thing to most connections.

Russell

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LickeyEndBlues

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
My

Russell

I look forward to trying this out. I'll let you all know what happens!

It strikes me as odd that when you are on EHU you can trickle charge the main battery yet can't put an extra drain on it!

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

Brisey.

We also have the Bose Portable Soundock. We have had up to 8 hours on battery as long as the volume is not making the van vibrate.

.....it is indeed the "Dog's Dangly Bits"........:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I fitted a Sony head unit that will run --

Hands free phone
Play via blutooth anyone's smart phone music in the MH
Runs a self powered under seat sub woofer--

Link Removed

Play via a Btooth dongle from the 12v tv-- better sound
Pick up output from a Garmin sat nav and lower the music auto
Radio
CD
USB
Remote
Programme to turn off after a while

Upvote 0

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
The trouble with listening to someone elses quality sound system is that you realise how poor your own system is. Hence we now have a Bose sound link bluetooth speaker. Rechargeable 12v/240v. Beautiful sound quality.:thumb:

I can only endorse the Bose Soundlink recommendation. We have the gorgeous Soundlink Mini which is more than "big" enough to produce fantastic sound in the MH. The bluetooth connection works seamlessly with any Bluetooth enabled device - ipad, ipod, various MP3 players etc. the radio which turns off after an hour or needs the ignition live is a pain - the sound from the Bose is fantastic.

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Have to agree - the Bose system is the nuts. Have a Bose iPod dock - but mainly for outside use!

I've just had a new Kenwood head unit fitted in the dash, plays everything, inc DAB radio, and hard wired iPod connection. Plays in the cab, in the hab area, either or both!
Had it hard wired to the ignition, and had a trickle charger fitted which will allow me to use the cab radio 24/7 and not have a flat engine battery when on hook-up:thumb:

Considering getting some outside speakers fitted too:winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LickeyEndBlues

LickeyEndBlues

Free Member
Oct 25, 2011
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 582
Exp
Had it hard wired to the ignition, and had a trickle charger fitted which will allow me to use the cab radio 24/7 and not have a flat engine battery when on hook-up:thumb:

Considering getting some outside speakers fitted too:winky:

That's the bit I don't understand. Ours trickle charges the battery when on ehu so why does the head unit turn off to save the bleedin' battery!

I am still tempted to get a dock of some sorts; particularly for outside use.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If, like me, you have an aftermarket radio fitted in your van (mine is based on the Ducato) then it will have two "live" leads going to it via its ISO block. One is a switched live which is connected via the ignition switch. This tells the radio to switch off when you switch off the ignition.

The other is a permanent live, which actually provides the power to work the radio. This one stay on when the ignition is off so that, for example, the radio will retain information like station presets. Some audio systems can then use it to monitor certain situations and switch themselves on in certain circumstances. One I had could do that if a "mute" call came from my parrot BT unit.

If you want the radio to stay on regardless of whether the ignition is on or off then merely wire the switch live terminal on the radio onto the permanent live feed rather than the switched live feed. But if you do be aware that it can run your battery down quite quickly. If, like me, you often run your radio on nil volume so that you can still pick up traffic reports and use the BT for handsfree phone calls you will need to remember to switch off the radio every time you leave the van.

Upvote 0

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
We have a pioneer avic 920bt which does everything and has excellent sound quality, Hymer fit a switch on the dash which can provides a power to the unit when the ignition is off, I believe this second feed comes from the leisure batteries.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ours came with an aftermarket head unit that's always on and it came with speakers in the hab area too... Split charger looks after the vehicle battery. We leave the van plugged in when at home and prefer EHU sites do powers never really an issue

Upvote 0

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Ours came with an aftermarket head unit that's always on and it came with speakers in the hab area too... Split charger looks after the vehicle battery. We leave the van plugged in when at home and prefer EHU sites do powers never really an issue

We have that also,with a solar panel on the roof, but mainly use a Sony docking station, battery or mains, with a 32gb ipod touch, can be lifted outside in seconds, great sound as well.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)

Russell
Many thanks - worked a treat. Wonder why it's kept such a secret - even by converters who fit electronics that keep the starter battery charged when on EHU. It would seem that Fiat are happy, or they wouldn't do it.

Upvote 0

KentFF

Free Member
Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Do you think I could mount my 2 bookshelf speakers in a 6-7.5 m motorhome? I have brackets to mount them to a wall in my house, but not sure if I should be drilling into the wall of a motorhome for these fairly heavy (2 kg each?) speakers.

Here's a photo to give an idea of how big they are:

12.jpg

Haven't bought our motorhome yet. Just trying to see if I should sell these or will be able to use them in the motorhome.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back