Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I drove off from a site yesterday and after driving about 10 miles suddenly remembered i hadnt lowered the tv ariel.I pulled into a lay by and opened the sky light to sees which way it was pointing,lowered it and proceeded on with our journey.I looked out the bedroom window this morning and the sky light was wide open on the last setting.I forgot to close it and drove around 60 miles home with it open.I reached speeds of 70 mph and am amazed its still on there.We didnt even hear the wind as we were partying all the way home :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
I drove off from a site yesterday and after driving about 10 miles suddenly remembered i hadnt lowered the tv ariel.I pulled into a lay by and opened the sky light to sees which way it was pointing,lowered it and proceeded on with our journey.I looked out the bedroom window this morning and the sky light was wide open on the last setting.I forgot to close it and drove around 60 miles home with it open.I reached speeds of 70 mph and am amazed its still on there.We didnt even hear the wind as we were partying all the way home :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
What do you mean partying all the way home

keithcdb

Free Member
May 31, 2013
scotland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
I drove about 10 miles round some very tight lanes with the sat dish still up last month! Lots of people did seem to be noticing me but I thought they were admiring the van :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
I drove about 10 miles round some very tight lanes with the sat dish still up last month! Lots of people did seem to be noticing me but I thought they were admiring the van :cry:

The Oyster dish on my old van used to retract as soon as the ignition was started ::bigsmile:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We keep a piece of coloured string tied around the TV mast. When we elevate it we tie the string to the steering wheel. Amazing how many times we need the reminder. Simple but it works. :thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Take a tip from airline pilots, they always walk round their aircraft before taking off, walk round your MH before setting off. I make it the last thing I do before departing home or a site to make sure we are secure. This was after I ran over our chairs, & on another occasion with electric still plugged in :Eeek:

Checking locker doors, TV Ariel, tyres, electric cable or bits stored under the van, it is surprising how many times you will find something not done. :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
System we used to use with the hire motorhomes.

Pick up an ID neck chain/strap. Then laminate a piece of paper about postcard size with 'Windows shut, Aerial down, Skylights down' etc etc on it and hang it from the rear view mirror when you pitch up.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Re the OP:
You are lucky.
I drove the 12 miles or so home from Misterton with a roof light slightly open.
When I got home, there it was gone.
Snapped off at the hinges, had to replace the whole fitting.
Lucky it wasn't the big Heki thing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Same here with our Kathrein system ::bigsmile:

Mike

As DID my Oyster.. First thing I did was to unhook the yellow wire that goes to the controller to stop it going down.

Reason ?
Cos the one time we over stayed on a camp site in drab weather and the batteries went, we could not start the van to watch telly for a wee while afore we went to bed !

Connect the down wire via a diode to a small pizo buzzer mounted about ear height in the cab and to a feed that goes live when the ignition is on..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back