crank case brether pipe (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
on way back from Lincoln we used 1/2 gallon of oil have now fund that the crank case breather hose is not connected to any thing i cant find ware it goes fiat ducato 2.8 diesel engine it must go back somewhere in to the crank case of air stem but ware :cry:

/

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
That sounds like a lot of oil to use, is there any sign of leakage?
I am assuming the pipe you have is still connected to the engine, if thats the case, I think the other end of pipe is connected to the air filter somewhere, usually underneath in a very awkward place!
Allan

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
alan has a very good point.

if the pipe is still attached at one end then look at the moulded bends to work out the direction then look for anything it could attach to within its own length.

usually some kind of a metal filter casing, which catches the oil in the crank mist and dumps it back in the engine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if its breathing that heavy then i would say the motor is in trouble .
should only be the very slightest of oil in the breathers . its really for air to go in and out as the pistons move .

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
should only be the very slightest of oil in the breathers . its really for air to go in and out as the pistons move .
i think you could be right thing the rings are on tare way out i am going to change them i think

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
have you had a compression test done . might be worth it if only to decide .
dont know much about that motor but does it have worn valve guides that can give crank case pressure .
doesnt sound good to me though .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

right in one rspect Alan, the motors in trouble but Bill gets the coconut.

the breather is mainly to get rid of gas leaking into the crankcase past worn rings and very little to do with whats happening below piston movement.

as one piston comes down, another goes up leaving the same volume for the air pushed down by the first piston.

in an ideal world the crank case could be a fully sealed container....though that would serve no purpose

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if theres blue smoke under load its rings...

if theres blue smoke on the overrun its valve guides.

if theres black smoke its buggered injectors or blocked air filter

if theres white smoke its water...head gasket time.

basically speaking.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
have you had a compression test done . might be worth it if only to decide .
dont know much about that motor but does it have worn valve guides that can give crank case pressure .
doesnt sound good to me though .

as per last post fund out that seal has gone on breather box not terminal yet but only had it a few weeks just dident know where the breather hose went if it need new engine i will drop one in it not the end of the world i am not to worried i can refurbish the motor head rings big ends three day job maximum as i haven't worked on one of these engines but up for the challenge but will wait till it packs in run it in to the ground :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes i agree .
the last thing you want is a blocked breather . i know vw polo,s were terrible for it . and some passats /a80,s you needed a new rocker cover as the seperator was welded into it . mind with care you could remove it and clean it then spot weld back . the polo and some golfs you had to change a pressed in pot on the side of the motor . with out the tool could be a horrible job . but some you could tap in with a small hammer if you had the nack.
this to johns earlier post .

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

basically speaking.

Usually if it's white smoke we've got a new Pope:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

basically speaking.
thanks John fund a oul seal gone will fix that before ripping it apart and if i am taking the head off it will get new rings cam belt big-end shells the lot
now looking for a lump to refurbish

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
might be worth doing mains ,etc best be safe . yes get another lump then you can go for it .
its hard to know where to stop sometimes .

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
yes i agree .
the last thing you want is a blocked breather . i know vw polo,s were terrible for it . and some passats /a80,s you needed a new rocker cover as the seperator was welded into it . mind with care you could remove it and clean it then spot weld back . the polo and some golfs you had to change a pressed in pot on the side of the motor . with out the tool could be a horrible job . but some you could tap in with a small hammer if you had the nack.
this to johns earlier post .

Talk about coincidence was having a route in an old tool box yesterday i found a tool i made out of a short length of scaffold pole with a slot cut out for the breather pipe to fit these VW breather pods i could not remember which vehicle it was for, don't suppose they would clog up so much these days with the modern oils though

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ok there must be someone out there who knows where that breather hose goes i have taken out the air filter and pipes all the way back to the turbo and still cant see ware it goes :help::cry:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Talk about coincidence was having a route in an old tool box yesterday i found a tool i made out of a short length of scaffold pole with a slot cut out for the breather pipe to fit these VW breather pods i could not remember which vehicle it was for, don't suppose they would clog up so much these days with the modern oils though

hi i only really worked on vw .audi vehicles in my garage .the proper tool had a shaped end to allow a good hit .
i still have the vw press plates etc plus most of the special tools up to about 98 . special drills for drilling valve guides etc still have a souriou dyagnostic computer with diesel connections and a gas analyzer .in fact i almost have full garage equipment . 30 ton press body dozer . all good toys for playing with . never mind recovery equipment . keep thinking i should get a hi-ab for the back of my unit . but slao my wrist and say no dont be silly . i have a pto pump as it was tipper.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
hi i only really worked on vw .audi vehicles in my garage .the proper tool had a shaped end to allow a good hit .
i still have the vw press plates etc plus most of the special tools up to about 98 . special drills for drilling valve guides etc still have a souriou dyagnostic computer with diesel connections and a gas analyzer .in fact i almost have full garage equipment . 30 ton press body dozer . all good toys for playing with . never mind recovery equipment . keep thinking i should get a hi-ab for the back of my unit . but slao my wrist and say no dont be silly . i have a pto pump as it was tipper.
so in short no :cry:

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Some questions - your answers will help us figure out what is going on here:

1. From which end is it disconnected? Crank case end or 'other' end
  2. If 'other' end, where do you see the disconnected pipe?
  3. If crankcase end, where is the other connected to?
  4. Is it a JTD, id TD or TDi engine? Which year / reg is the motorhome?

Normally I'd expect the crankcase breather pipe to go between crankcase/sump and camshaft (some may call it rocker) cover.

Mine is a idTD engine so may well be same to yours. I am willing to pass by it on the way home from work to see if I can check breather pipe locations for you and take a pic or two if it will help but need to know the answers first :)

Cheers,
M

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I wouldn't be surprised if buying a recondition short engine will be cheaper than buying the bits and doing it yourself.

Ian

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Stone me I just noticed the OP says he lost half a GALLON of oil, I had understood half a litre!

If that lot had come out the disconnected breather pipe then you'd have it sprayed all up inside the engine bay and probably all underneath and over the back of the wagon and I would certainly think it would indicate a very serious problem :Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
ok there must be someone out there who knows where that breather hose goes i have taken out the air filter and pipes all the way back to the turbo and still cant see ware it goes :help::cry:
I know.....its a special adaption only seen on motorhomes...... it goes to the drivers seat base. because of all the old farts that drive motorhomes:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Some questions - your answers will help us figure out what is going on here:

1. From which end is it disconnected? Crank case end or 'other' end
  2. If 'other' end, where do you see the disconnected pipe?
  3. If crankcase end, where is the other connected to?
  4. Is it a JTD, id TD or TDi engine? Which year / reg is the motorhome?

Normally I'd expect the crankcase breather pipe to go between crankcase/sump and camshaft (some may call it rocker) cover.

Mine is a idTD engine so may well be same to yours. I am willing to pass by it on the way home from work to see if I can check breather pipe locations for you and take a pic or two if it will help but need to know the answers first :)

Cheers,
M
1 other end it isent conected to any thing
2 it is a 2.8 JTI g reg 1990 LHD
3 one end still connected to breather box
:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as someone changed things so that like years ago the breathers just went down by the side of engine to fresh air .

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
as someone changed things so that like years ago the breathers just went down by the side of engine to fresh air .
thinking that this is the case with this one

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Stone me I just noticed the OP says he lost half a GALLON of oil, I had understood half a litre!

If that lot had come out the disconnected breather pipe then you'd have it sprayed all up inside the engine bay and probably all underneath [HI][/HI]

designed for a rust free chassis then.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back