LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I acquired some 500 Euro notes some time ago through stupidly selling something for Euros. No body will change them even though they are genuine. Not even German banks will change them unless you have a bank account.
The moral is, am only excepting dirty fivers from now on.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
They are a nuisance. I ordered a withdrawal of currency from my French bank account, giving the correct amount of notice and stating no €500 notes.
Money wasn't ready, I could only have half of what I ordered and there were a number of €500 notes!

Barclays took them but they had to be sent off to be verified before being paid a to my account. Took about 4 weeks, although I was told it could take up to 8.

Maybe worth trying your bank?

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Lots of people have Euro bank accounts (including me) I know that you are well known in the MH circle, so perhaps one of your friends will pay them in for you.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I will be fueling up tomorrow at around 225 litres plus the LPG tank so will give the filling station one and see if they refuse it after I have drawn the fuel. If its legal tender, which it obviously is then they have no choice but except them. Wish me luck :Eeek:.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Go get 'em Ffloyd !!!

Exactly what I did !! Sat on the pump until they took it ! Luckily only had the 1 note !
Otherwise buy a load of stuff at a supermarket and watch the till girl (operator if you are sexist ! :Doh:) panic and call for back up as the queue lengthens!

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I was under the impression that 500 Euro notes were being withdrawn as they have become the common currency of the drug world.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I acquired some 500 Euro notes some time ago through stupidly selling something for Euros. No body will change them even though they are genuine. Not even German banks will change them unless you have a bank account.
I'm the same with my 1 euro coin and one other :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I will be fueling up tomorrow at around 225 litres plus the LPG tank so will give the filling station one and see if they refuse it after I have drawn the fuel. If its legal tender, which it obviously is then they have no choice but except them. Wish me luck :Eeek:.

I think you'll find that they do NOT have to accept them, regardless of if they are 'legal tender' or not. If it is going to cause them problems, for example by you leaving them short of other notes to give you change, or they cannot verity that it is genuine, they will be under no obligation to take it AFAIK.

It is a similar misconception that people believe that shops HAVE to sell them something, even if it is priced wrongly and so is much cheaper than it should be, they do NOT.

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
The only legal excuse for not accepting a 1/2/500 note is if the shopkeeper hasn't enough in the till to supply the right change. But common sense is also a consideration - like attempting to pay for a baguette with 500 note.
No problem paying into an account and withdrawing same amount immediately.
Normally, in a French bank, if you actually want 500 notes you need to give notice - can take a couple of days - and need to be prepared to explain why you want 500e notes.
(And banks no longer have 'cashiers' to change notes to smaller denominations).

If you're round our way I don't mind using our bank if that helps.

Woops, sorry Minx - typing simultaneously ... !

Last edited:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010

Dave,

Check before filling up..... many petrol stations and shops post notices warning that they will not accept €500 notes indeed many shops in our area decline anything larger than €100 notes. Personally, never had trouble changing them at bank (Spanish). Good luck:thumb:

Regards, Bryan

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Try a "money shop" ,just walk in ,no questions asked--exchanged money:thumb:

They may exchange it.

We found when you just want to convert £ to Euros in Travel agents or banks ,all the questions came out --
Have you a account?
ID Please
Postcode:Angry:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class

IF you can't get rid of them:roflmto:

I will take them off yer hands:roflmto:

I am off On me travels soon:roflmto:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Filling stations in Luxembourg take them with no questions asked :thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You'll be getting the printing press out again now then will you? :ROFLMAO:

Tis already set up Graham. Damned expensive though as have had to go on a campsite here in Luxembourg so I can use electric. It all eats into the profits you know ::bigsmile:.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I think I've only once had £50 notes and I've never had a €500 note so no problem to me. I never have more than £100 or €200 on me, not a fan of cash.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
The favoured note of drug barons & crooks and also the favourite note for moving/smuggling large amounts of illegal cash round the world, also a large number were counterfeited, I would refuse to take one of these from a bank its just not worth the hassle and they cannot force you to take them.
A 100 euro note should be good enough for anyone, they did say the if they knew what they would predominantly used for they would not have launched a 500 note in the first place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back