No more motorhoming :( (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
A real shame but Jim my father inlaw has finally given up motorhoming aged 81:Sad: He bought a 2013 nu venture rio in february and its still showing less than 1,000 miles on the clock. Jim has to load in and out the mobility scooter for his wife but feels he cannot manage it anymore:Sad: Jim asked me to contact the dealer he got it from to see what they would give him, Jim paid just over £40,000 with extras, today the dealer offered him £25,000:cry: Jane and I will now be buying the motorhome from Jim. Woody our little motorhome will be going on ebay in a couple of weeks time.

Jim & his wife have had motorhomes all their life starting out with an old ambulance which they used to pack the 9 kids in to:ROFLMAO: (our number plate came off that ambulance):thumb: without the 9 kids they visited Europe and even motorhomed in New Zealand:thumb: such a shame their calling it a day:Sad: but seeing him go over roundabouts rather than round them I do understand:RollEyes:

Rob&Jane

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
A real shame but Jim my father inlaw has finally given up motorhoming aged 81:Sad: He bought a 2013 nu venture rio in february and its still showing less than 1,000 miles on the clock. Jim has to load in and out the mobility scooter for his wife but feels he cannot manage it anymore:Sad: Jim asked me to contact the dealer he got it from to see what they would give him, Jim paid just over £40,000 with extras, today the dealer offered him £25,000:cry: Jane and I will now be buying the motorhome from Jim. Woody our little motorhome will be going on ebay in a couple of weeks time.

Jim & his wife have had motorhomes all their life starting out with an old ambulance which they used to pack the 9 kids in to:ROFLMAO: (our number plate came off that ambulance):thumb: without the 9 kids they visited Europe and even motorhomed in New Zealand:thumb: such a shame their calling it a day:Sad: but seeing him go over roundabouts rather than round them I do understand:RollEyes:

Rob&Jane

And they would have sold it on for at least £35,500! A nice little profit for doing nothing.
Shame he has to give it up, but at least the van will still be in the family.
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
A real shame, but if he feels its to much for him it's for the best. Sounds like he's enjoyed all the motorhoming he has done, and knows its the right time to stop. Respect him for that, perhaps he could join you on a trip occasionally to ease the giving up of something he loved. Good luck to him and his wife.

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
He will be really pleased it is going to a good home and to someone he is close to.:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Sorry to read that, Rob...

That`s what I`m dreading.... :Sad:

But at the end of a rainbow and all that... enjoy your new set of wheels... Nice it`s being kept in the family... :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Robbers. Thieves. Lowlifes.

Very interested to know the name of the dealer.

Name and Shame.

Something should be done to stop this.

I wonder what our professional dealer Funsters say.

Is that the norm?

£15,000 Loss in 7 months and 1000 miles?

JJ :Cool:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

Name and Shame.

Is that the norm?

JJ.............. If I told you how much I lost on the RV over 10 months and less than 2,000 miles...

You would call me a liar.... :Angry:

I know they have to make a living..... but would they knock 20 or 30 K off the asking price if you asked.... "NO"... :censored:2

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
No more motorhoming

well it was nice to meet them before they decided to retire from camping .but i bet the only reason you bought it from them the bed must be more comfi than yours as youve worn the bloody mattress out in yours with all the sleeping u do .lol say hi to them from stuart and kathy.and tell him the blanket i bought did work lol he knows what i mean ..:thumb:

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
No more motorhoming

and i agree with JJ, name and shame those scoundrels who call themselves dealers.bloody thieves.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Regarding,,, Name and Shame.... It`s a non starter... :Blush:

Anybody naming the so called dealers on open forum, would leave yourselves and especially Jim the ring leader open to a "Libel Case"...

I would suggest any body wishing to know who the dealer is... should PM the agreaved ..
For their views on the why`s and where fours ...

Just my two penneth.. :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
and i agree with JJ, name and shame those scoundrels who call themselves dealers.bloody thieves.

I cannot comment on how other people run their business but if it was us and the owner was not in a rush to sell and get cash in the bank, we would have suggested a contract sale at a fee of £3000 plus Vat and at a sensible retail figure of say £34,000.

Peter

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I cannot comment on how other people run their business but if it was us and the owner was not in a rush to sell and get cash in the bank, we would have suggested a contract sale at a fee of £3000 plus Vat and at a sensible retail figure of say £34,000.

Peter

We need more "Johns_Cross_Motorhomes" .. Throughout the UK... :thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I know a couple who bought a van at the end of January this year,for £24.000, drove it 14 miles home, later on had a heart attack, recently had another so was selling it, :Sad: it was not quite what I am after ,anyway the dealer fetched it back, I believe he got no where near £18,000, it is now on the dealers web site for £22,995 I would not go to that dealers, I know they have to make a living but fairs fair, have heard bad reports some time ago about this dealer, and no I am not mentioning who it is.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
any new vehicle looses the vat as you drive of the forecourt and depreciation starts there. on the £40k+ van thats £7500 just in the vat of 20%

i agree losing £15k sounds awful greedy but the dealer is looking at making about £5k profit selling it. peter's suggested retail of £34k used is maybe optimistic and they are likely aiming to be negotiated down to £30k

you dont see many poor motorhome dealers, but the bigger the setup the more it costs to run and turn a profit. through the winter they may be lucky to average 1 or 2 sales a month. but theres wages and rent and other overheads to pay. any business needs to make money or its a charity and will quickly fail

just pointing out the other side too this. plus you all want to buy a bargain in a used van. paying nearly new price wouldnt tempt many buyers

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
Hi Rob
It was nice to meet them (and you two) at Shepton. I imagine it's very difficult to know when to call it a day (just ask John Terry :Smile:) but it's a decision we will all face one day, even driving a car will become a no no eventually. At least they have some great memories and you two can stop worrying about them and carry on the legacy.
Wish them all the best from FUN
Pat

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I'd check the suspension out if I were you Rob, the old Bugger might have knackered it driving over all them roundabouts:ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's a pity that they have to give up but, as said above, something we will all have to face one day. We are hoping that if/when the day comes that we need transport on holiday we will still be fit enough to manage a caravan.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Rob&Jane

What a pity your little Woody hasn't got a LHD ... I certainly would have bought it ! I've loved it when I saw it at Malvern!

I hope you'll get a good price for it!

I feel sorry for your father in law .... It sounds so unfair!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Name and Shame.
Is that the norm?

Tell me, what crime has this dealer committed to cause such rage. Someone visited his showroom and asked for a price for his motorhome, he gave them a price that didn't suit the seller. Is that a crime that deserves this lynch-mob mentality. This dealer owes the seller nothing, why hold him responsible for the purchase. I think given the circumstances 25k is a fare price. If someone else thinks it is worth more then make an offer. "Name and shame....:Doh::Doh::Doh:"

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Only one 2013 model on A/Trader from White Arches Caravans priced at £34,995( Similar to JC's estimate). Don't fight the dealers corner when its clear they were trying to take someone for mug. If its a fair price...No issue, but this doesn't appear to be anything like it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A few yrs back mate of mate bought a 115k RV and 3 mths later died of Heart attack--Mate asked me how much it was worth -I did not have a clue :Smile:-but the dealer offered 40k saying he would probably have a 80k MH on his forcourt for above a year :Doh: never could figure out his maths :Doh: Some people do take the wee :Smile:
Terry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Rob&Jane
The dealer seems to be taking a real hammering on here, rightly or wrongly, however are you therefore willing to tell us how much you are paying for it so we can get a 'balance' here?:RollEyes:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
It's a pity that they have to give up but, as said above, something we will all have to face one day. We are hoping that if/when the day comes that we need transport on holiday we will still be fit enough to manage a caravan.

Are you sure Graham? all that faffing about screwing this and jacking that, think Id rather just pull up and put the kettle on:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Are you sure Graham? all that faffing about screwing this and jacking that, think Id rather just pull up and put the kettle on:thumb:

So would I. However, if it ever comes to us needing a car for transport whilst away the alternatives are caravan, tent or nothing - and it ain't going to be tent or nothing ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back