Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
As a young soldier, I sometimes had to drive The Regiments Morris Commercial 1 ton water tanker. Even though it was fitted with baffles, the rule was either drive it full, or empty. Part loads were not recommended!
And so. My (new to me) Hymer is fitted with a 100 ltr water tank.
1. Do you drop the water out before leaving a site?
2. Is it best just to carry enough water for a brew?
3. Can you drive with it full?
4. Am I just being daft, and it dosent matter what you do.
5. Will be fitting a water filter, probably an in line version. Any recommendations?/
6. With our narrowboat, we found that as we changed areas, and took on more water, we sometimes got this 'taste', different water plants adding different amounts of chemicals to suit their areas, inducing a cup of tea to taste like public swimming baths water. Does that still happen???
Thanks peeps. Your help on these matters is worth a lot to me.
Dave.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
it all depends on how your going to live in your mh. If you are going to drive to a campsite and then saty for a week and then drive home i would drive empty purely for the weight reduction and save diesel. If your going to wild camp a lot then fill up at evry opportunity. The water tank is generally low down so you dont really have to worry about the centre of gravity, and its only 100 litre I amfairly sure your diesel tank is prob similiar. Hope this helps

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
5. Will be fitting a water filter, probably an in line version. Any recommendations?/
6. With our narrowboat, we found that as we changed areas, and took on more water, we sometimes got this 'taste', different water plants adding different amounts of chemicals to suit their areas, inducing a cup of tea to taste like public swimming baths water. Does that still happen???

1. No - to me that is wasteful. If I know I'm headed for a site with water, I'll keep the tank topped up until 5 days before I move and then fill up at the new site. As to the mpg argument, on a heavy van I doubt if it makes a lot of difference.
2. I prefer to have more than that on board to allow for having to park up somewhere unexpectedly. I don't use the water in the tank for tea/coffee anyway.
3. Yes - unless the weight of the water takes you over your maximum weight. For those of us that wild camp from time to time, you want to have plenty of water with you.
4. Not daft at all - everyone will have their own preferences.
5. I don't use an in-line water filter, just a filter jug for drinking water.
6. I assume so, but I don't drink the water from the tank, only filtered water from a jug.

I have never noticed any difference in road handling regardless of the level in the water tank.

HTH :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
As a young soldier, I sometimes had to drive The Regiments Morris Commercial 1 ton water tanker. Even though it was fitted with baffles, the rule was either drive it full, or empty. Part loads were not recommended!
no the idea of having the tank is to make you inependant of a fixed water supply
we carry a separate container for drinking because you can keep it fresh
yes but watch your payload as 1ltr is 1kg
do you want an answer to that?:ROFLMAO:
i usually fit the same type as used behind the fridge at home. same thing and way cheaper to replace. lasts a year
a narrowboat is a motorhome that floats and hasnt wheels. water changes are the same the world over. some taste sweet some taste foul
Dave.

hope this helps:thumb:

dont worry so much you forget to enjoy yourself

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
dont worry so much you forget to enjoy yourself

I used to get shot at a lot. Never really bothered me. Now I worry about EVERYTHING!!:winky:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We are just about the same as Maz. We found a filter jug gets rid of any off flavours that water from the tank might have (only noticed it with bowser supplies).

The main thing, as others have said, is to make sure the weight doesn't take you over. Water is easy to obtain at most sites so don't put it before beer :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
use chlorinated tap water where ever possible . then drink the water , do you really drink water or do you boil it first .
most tanks have baffles .
having driven tankers the worse are milk they dont have baffles and when full or half what ever they really do push you forward if braking hard .
as said if wilding fill when ever you can .
you could fit a water filter . nature pure or a berkenfeld system .
i like the berkenfeld system .
but only use it if i have had to put in river or unknown water in africa .

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thousands go to africa ever year .
lots from this forum have been and are going soon .
morocco isnt too bad you can get good drinking water almost every where . but go further down then you really need a good filter .
mind sometimes if in a wild camp in uk or eu .you might need to take on board river or lake water to save driving miles .
with proper tanks and pipes ,most motor homes should be quite ok to drink the tap water . yes some cant or dont like it and filter etc at home .
but if you do drink tap water at home you shouldnt have problems in the camper .

Upvote 0

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
morocco isnt too bad you can get good drinking water almost every where . but go further down then you really need a good filter.....
"Further down" and bottled water is normally recommended, in most countries sub-Sahara, you simply can't trust it. Best avoided.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
morocco isnt too bad you can get good drinking water almost every where . but go further down then you really need a good filter.....
"Further down" and bottled water is normally recommended, in most countries sub-Sahara, you simply can't trust it. Best avoided.

I must say that Africa and I never really got on. I was based in Libya for a while, before Gaddafi Duck took over. Hated the camel spiders and s**t beetles.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Dave.

That 1 ton water tankers total load was the ton of water in the tank, less than full it would slosh around and because the tank was relatively high on the chassis could easily make it unstable. In your motorhome the water tank is firstly comparatively small at around 100 litres (100KGs) and secondly low down, probably between the axles on a vehicle with a much greater mass than that old Morrris so the tank not bei g full or empty is not going to affect handling significantly.

D.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
[HI]As a young soldier[/HI], I sometimes had to drive The Regiments Morris Commercial 1 ton water tanker. ,

[HI]inducing a cup of tea to taste like public swimming baths water[/HI]. Does that still happen???

Dave.

Fer gods sake!!!:Angry: Namby Pamby trendie leftie:Doh:

Montozumas Revenge! Spains Pain? Delhi Belli! , THE Squirts!!!

TOUGHEN UP FUNSTER!!!:winky:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

I must say that Africa and I never really got on. I was based in Libya for a while, before Gaddafi Duck took over. Hated the camel spiders and s**t beetles.::bigsmile:

i found libya ok . did tunisia libya and egypt . no probs . nicer than spain or portugal if you like sunshine .
going down the west coast no problem all the way to sierra leone drinking water was ok . after that we did use the filter as tap water couldnt be found in many places . dare say there was but we didnt see it easily .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Fer gods sake!!!:Angry: Namby Pamby trendie leftie:Doh:

Montozumas Revenge! Spains Pain? Delhi Belli! , THE Squirts!!!

TOUGHEN UP FUNSTER!!!:winky:

HA!

Been called some things in my life, but NEVER NEVER a Leftie!!!:Eeek:

:winky::winky::winky:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
bit of a difference between a 1 ton water bowser and a 100ltr water tank.

1....bowser is quite a few feet off the ground and 1000kg, so the centre of gravity is high causing instability.

2....M/H water tank is about as low as it gets so the C of G is very low, having very little effect on stability.

rule of thumb when loading a motorhome.......heavy items = low....light items = high.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in a baffled tanker its not really a problem .
only unbaffled tanks slop enough to notice . if carrying water in a baffled tank compared to a similar milk tanker its totally different . they dont have baffles in milk tankers so the cleaning process is easier . acid washed after every load . then washed with clean water . milk tankers have cleaning sprays built in to really clean them out .
stop a milk tanker specially in the wet carelessly and you can jerk forward about 6-8 ft easily with the slop.
campers really arent anything to worry about .
mind with fuel and water plus waste water i could be almost 1000ltr in total on mine .
many truck conversions carry almost two tons of fuel and water if going on an expedition .

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
You will definitely need a water filter. Once you leave the best tasting water in the country, and probably Europe, nothing else will do. My wife, who's from Sussex, thought all tap water was white until she came to Lancashire.:Doh:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in a baffled tanker its not really a problem .
only unbaffled tanks slop enough to notice . if carrying water in a baffled tank compared to a similar milk tanker its totally different . they dont have baffles in milk tankers so the cleaning process is easier . acid washed after every load . then washed with clean water . milk tankers have cleaning sprays built in to really clean them out .
stop a milk tanker specially in the wet carelessly and you can jerk forward about 6-8 ft easily with the slop.
campers really arent anything to worry about .
mind with fuel and water plus waste water i could be almost 1000ltr in total on mine .
many truck conversions carry almost two tons of fuel and water if going on an expedition .

Incorrect Alan....they dont have baffles as the milk would be churned to butter by the time it got to the dairy. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i was always told it was for cleaning .
mind you might be right .
all i know is when driving a tanker with a drag tanker up b ehind you do drive carefully . the artics werent so bad but the drags i can feel the pushing in my shoulders now its a real funny experiance .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back