Newbies first foreign trip (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are off to France for our first foreign trip in a motorhome on Monday. Many years ago when the kids were young we used to do it regularly towing a caravan, but I am sure this will be different. We have a couple of questions that we hope somebody will be able to help us with.

Firstly, I understand that diesel is cheaper in France, so I will be going over with a low tank. Where is the best place (cheapest and easiest) to fill up in Calais please. We will be coming over on the Ferry not the tunnel.

Secondly we want to buy some woven groundsheet (about 2m x 2.5m) for outside of the motorhome. This is just to keep the area a bit clean and stop us walking dirt into the motorhome too much. We have seen the type sold on roles in many dealer's shops (forgotten name of maker). Can anybody recommend what we should buy? Is it cheaper to buy in France and if so where could we buy it please?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Depends where you are going when you get to France but it is cheaper most places, a couple of weeks ago I paid €1.32 for diesel. Try Cite Europe. I'm not sure if a large vehicle will fit though
Do you need such a big mat? I should think most caravan or camping shops will sell it. I have a roll about 6m x3m but I just use a standard sized mat made of AstroTurf.
Good luck with the trip. There are loads of aires to stop at. Have you got the "all the aires book?" It invaluable
Allan

Last edited:

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
newbies first foreign trip

Hi,Lots of places,but hypermarkets are the cheapest,come out of port on duel carriageway the turning on the left that says university take that road to a roundabout turn left and you will find the hyper,easy to get into and park or fill up,regards H.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
For matting have a look on ebay that's where we bought ours quite reasonably priced there may be a next day delivery offer.

As mentioned hypermarkets tend to be the cheapest for duel.

Have a great trip I remember our first trip over to france in the MH, loved it! !!!

Cheers

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
always best for diesel like here is the supermarkets for matting if you have the shop the range near you check it out cheapest i have found for breathable mats
have fun and safe roads

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Firstly, I understand that diesel is cheaper in France, so I will be going over with a low tank. Where is the best place (cheapest and easiest) to fill up in Calais please. We will be coming over on the Ferry not the tunnel.
Many thanks in advance for your help

We have always felt that we want to get on our way and not hang around in Calais-so,here's what we do,and of course it does depend on where you are headed after landing.
Setting out from home with a full tank we will have about 1/4 left when we land (usually before lunch having spent the night on Marine Drive,Dover and got an early ferry)
We drive to the outskirts of Boulogne and go to the Auchan supermarket,there we fill up with diesel and LPG (GPL) before doing a major shop in Auchan,having lunch and then driving to our first overnight stop-quite often that will be Le Crotoy with it's excellent fish restaurants ::bigsmile:

Mike

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We drive to the outskirts of Boulogne and go to the Auchan supermarket,there we fill up with diesel and LPG (GPL) before doing a major shop in Auchan,having lunch and then driving to our first overnight stop-quite often that will be Le Crotoy with it's excellent fish restaurants ::bigsmile:

Mike

Mike. Thanks. I can remember from about 25 years ago that the Boulogne Auchan was a few miles out of town on the road to St Omer. Is that the one you are referring to?

We have not made our mind up where to go for the first couple of nights. Can you recommend a site within walking distance of Le Crotoy?

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
always best for diesel like here is the supermarkets for matting if you have the shop the range near you check it out cheapest i have found for breathable mats
have fun and safe roads
Thanks for this. What shop are you referring to please? Do they sell this type of groundsheet in French hypermarkets?

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Mike. Thanks. I can remember from about 25 years ago that the Boulogne Auchan was a few miles out of town on the road to St Omer. Is that the one you are referring to?

We have not made our mind up where to go for the first couple of nights. Can you recommend a site within walking distance of Le Crotoy?

Yes,that's the one on St Omer rd
We use the aire at Le Crotoy-I believe there are a couple of sites-but not within walking distance.

Mike

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have just returned from France and found diesel prices vary throughout France. the dearest we paid was 1.38litre & cheapest was 1.29 Litre.
Depending whether you buy on card or pay cash as bank charges can have an effect.
We filled up at Calais on our way back and100 euros of fuel (73litres) converted to £85 on our bank statement just to give you an idea of costs

Enjoy your trip hope you have a great time

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes,that's the one on St Omer rd
We use the aire at Le Crotoy-I believe there are a couple of sites-but not within walking distance.

Mike

Mike is that the Aire by the harbour or the one by the beach? Are they very busy this time of year do you know?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you pass through Luxembourg, then fill up if you can as its quite a bit cheaper. As in the UK avoid buying fuel on a motorway as it's always overpriced, the small supermarkets are good value.

I would buy your matting here as it most likely will cost you more in France.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Mike is that the Aire by the harbour or the one by the beach? Are they very busy this time of year do you know?

We've only used the one by the harbour and the only time we've found it really busy was once in July when there was a huge market that took over the whole town ::bigsmile:

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back