Aug 14, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since May 2013 in earnest
Dear Funsters,

Well here is my first question of many on the topic of SOLAR POWER.

I am hoping someone has already been using a similar setup to the one I am about to install and can give me a few pointers suggestions on weather I'm going to fit the right most efficent solar sytem to FUGLYBUS II..

A little background, I have decided to take the foot of the accelorator and escape the rat race for at least a year! However, it is still important that I have a say in the future of my business as a founding partner that I started so will have to do the occassional piece of work and e-mailing of clients to do from time to time. My business does not require me to be stuck behind a desk as most of the work is done online. It will all be PC based CAD modelling and Post production type work. A powerful WIFI connection is vital which is why I'm talking to the motorhomewifi people.

The system I want to instal must be able to power the following items when off grid or electric hook up:

PC
Laptop
Ipad
Mini projector
Storage drives
Sound system
WACOM pad
Chargers
Fridge
Microwave oven
Water pumps
Heating
Truman boiler
LED lights

Can anyone recommend a solar system that might be a good configuration to run a mobile office from the back of my motorhome?

Has anyone or is anyone running a solar system that is already supplying the power needs of thier business from the back of the motor home?

Can anyone recommend a company that will help me choose and install the perfect system to meet my requirements?

Any help and advice from any experienced funsters who are using solar systems would be of great help before I shell out on a suitable solar system.

Many thanks...

Chris & Claire
FUGLYBUS II

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
For the last 11 years, I have been running my mobile office from two 110Ah leisure batteries and an inverter.
Laptop, PC, lights, Eberspacher heater or big fan (depending upon the weather :Smile: ), various pieces of medical equipment, laminator and so on.

But, I drive stupid distances when I'm working so it is very rare that the batteries are not sufficiently charged by the alternator when I need to use them.

Occasionally, I will need to stay in the same place for a full day and then, if it's winter, I will probably need to run the engine for a little while when everything is on at once.

You really need to estimate how much power you will be taking from the batteries and how you are going to replace it each day.

It's very unlikely that you will be able to do that just with solar in this country.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

The most important consideration is how little it works in northern Europe. In the winter you aren't going to get a whole lot.

That is one massive list. One microwave meal could totally drain your batteries and it might take a week of winter solar to charge them, maybe more.

This week I've done a trial. Charge two electric bikes. Now the two bikes are similar in capacity to my storage battery ( 110Ah ) so starting about 16:00 one battery charged, then got half way through the second and had to abandon it 'till daylight. By the end of the next day the leisure battery was not full. 100W panel and English autumn sun was not fit for purpose.

Heat something - use gas.

The rest of the list is meaningless without putting numbers on each item, watts + hours.

Looks like you need the dreaded Generator to be sure.

And your next problem - how to get a guaranteed broadband connection.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
From practical experience. ie I do this now and have done for the last 4 and a half years.

The PC is a no no if you are not on hookup. That is a definite.
I did try but the combination of monitor and base unit sucks too much power.

I would recommend a decent and recent laptop preferably with a Haswell processor to keep power usage down. Using an old laptop may save you money now but it does suck power. I have 2 laptops one a core2 duo and an i5 haswell (on loan)
The core2 duo sucks 5Amps and the haswell takes just over 2 Amps. That is one hell of a difference. A big part of that will be the fact that one has an LED backlit display and the other has the old CCFL backlight. The both have SSD's which believe it or not makes a difference. Unless you play games don't get one with a separate graphics card. The one built into the haswell cpu is extremely power efficient and is up to most jobs. You mention CAD so I would check this out if I were you. GFX cards do suck some juice.

For the storage side I have some 4TB hard drives in my main PC for when on hookup and a couple of very low power 2.5" hard disks for when off hookup. The main system is a rackmount system with hot swap hard drive bays. Handy in that I can take them out and put in the safe if I am leaving the van unattended for a period of time. It also allows me to plug an extra hdd in and backup the data which I can then leave in a safe location.

I copy data from the main system to the small USB drives before coming off hookup. If I find I need other data I fire up the genny for a few minutes to get the data. This doesn't happen much these days as I am better organised.

You are on the right tracks with the motorhomewifi router/repeater system. Works a treat. I am currently 400+ meters from my access point which is inside a steel constructed factory and I am getting fully speed on it.

For solar power as much as you can fit on the roof and can afford.
I personally recommend at trying to have as many AH in batteries as Watts of solar. I am a bit behind on the solar side due to roof space. I have 500AH battery and 240Watt solar. In the winter I can manage a week easily on this. However I don't like taking the batteries this low. This summer I have gone 5+ months without any hookup at all.

Ideally I would love to have 1000AH battery and 400+ Watts of solar.

In the winter forget solar in the UK. It is still producing decent power this week but not enough to be fully self sufficient. However it is not a waste as it still extends the time I can go without going on hookup or starting the generator.

For charging gadgets/devices look for DC/DC converters rather than using an inverter.
If your device uses for example 15V mains charger.
The losses incurred by going from 12VDC battery up to 240VAC then back down to 15V DC is massive in comparison to a 12VDC - 15VDC converter.

I have survived for 4+ years without an inverter and run a small hosting company which requires me to have power and internet access 24/7.. essential...

Be parsimonious with your power and you shouldn't get caught out.

All the usual tips about LED bulbs, turning stuff off etc etc all become second nature.

Sorry for the ramble.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you are relying on solar power to still earn a living then you will eventually go hungry.
If you do absolutely need uninterrupted battery power then there is only one way to go and that is an Efoy fuel cell. Unfortunately its not cheap, but if your future business and livelihood relies on a fully charged battery bank then you have no choice but to bite the bullet. http://www.efoy.com/

OP
OP
F

FuglybusII

Free Member
Aug 14, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Solar office

A massive thanks to you all for your respose to my questions, especially gromet who is the only oerson I have met who has real life experience of what I'm trying to accomplish.

It's looking more likely that I will have to manage my workflow around reliable sources of energy or hook ups. Unless I make the leap of faith to expesive energy cell options. Perhaps the saving I will make on not having an office in Wimbledon might make this option realistic!

Untill then I have opted for :

180W AKT Solar Panel Kit with 20A charge controller and solar cables - Complete kit for a 12V system
£270 all in.

Leisure Battery 12v-110Ah Numax XV31
MF
£75

Will give regular reports on how I'll be doing with this set up.

Cheers All...

Chris & Claire

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just seen this thread and I'm installing a system like you want. I work online but I'm fed up with being stuck in the office - much rather be at the beach :Smile:

First the PC - this is not a problem. I have built a PC that can run off any voltage from 6-24v and consumes 17w per hour. And its fast. This is coupled with the 24" LED screen which consumes about 20w. If your interested in the PC side I have a blog post on it here: .
It's not completely up to date but shows the PC and the 3G aerial, I've since added a high gain WiFi antenna (amazingly good) and a few other bits and pieces. Once the van gets a WiFi signal it turns into a hot-spot to allow all other devices near the van internet access. I built a TV tuner into it as well (well - not always working ::bigsmile:)

12v Power - I did a massive amount of research on this. In the end I went with 2 x 100w solar panels, 4 x 100ah batteries and a CTEK D250S Dual with Smartpass. Again I have a blog post here if your interested: .
My system will power everything on in the van for 3 days (PC on for 15 hours a day, 5 hours with the stereo on, water pump, heating etc) without any charging at all. Realistically, during the summer, the van is totally self sufficient as long as I'm not working for more than 8hrs a day. During the winter I have 3 days before I need to start the engine to charge.

Hope this helps,
David

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
more solar more batteries .use gas lights . ,cook on gas ,heat the vehicle on gas . only have leccy pump and 240v fridge . mind if you arent going to be moving have a gas fridge .
in uk it will soon be not enough sun .
but get about 6-8 80-100w panels and a huge battery bank . you can cope i would say in spring ,summer and the start of autumn .
then get off to the sun . many do . it makes sense . see you there .

OP
OP
F

FuglybusII

Free Member
Aug 14, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Man knows his stuff....

Wissel,

Excellent Blog!

I wish I had the time to fully understand what it all means!!! And the time to fit it all together. I would like to fit and forget if at all possible!

What I really want is to take my motorhome some where leave it for a week and get it all sorted as you have, to run my workstation from it without the worry of weather I have researched or bought the right equipment for the uses I want...

Can you recommend anyone in the Surrey area that would fit a system of similar spec as yours? Or even recommend anyone who would be able to fit a system in my motorhome. in or arounf the M25 area....please!!

Cheers,

Chris & Claire.. CXX

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi again and cheers, glad you like my blog.

I'm afraid I don't know anyone in your area that could fit the 12v system, its not a difficult job though and I'd be happy to talk you through it.

With regards to the PC, the critical part is the Pico PSU (and using low power components). If your happy to build a PC yourself I'd be happy to let you know what you need to buy.

I just re-read your OP and it mentions CAD. Are you working with rendered 3d images mostly or line drawing? This would make a difference on graphics capabilities.

Happy to help as much as you need on this subject,

David

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A massive thanks to you all for your respose to my questions, especially gromet who is the only oerson I have met who has real life experience of what I'm trying to accomplish.

It's looking more likely that I will have to manage my workflow around reliable sources of energy or hook ups. Unless I make the leap of faith to expesive energy cell options. Perhaps the saving I will make on not having an office in Wimbledon might make this option realistic!

Untill then I have opted for :

180W AKT Solar Panel Kit with 20A charge controller and solar cables - Complete kit for a 12V system
£270 all in.

Leisure Battery 12v-110Ah Numax XV31
MF
£75

Will give regular reports on how I'll be doing with this set up.

Cheers All...

Chris & Claire

I think you ought to get at least another 110ah battery so that when you solar panel is really kicking out the power (ie on good sunny days) you can store it to see you through the dull days.

Reading between the lines of your original posting, I assume that you don't expect to work every day however you don't say whether you intend to use any camp sites, smaller CL/CS sites, or just go wild! :RollEyes:

If you do intend to use some sort of site, then that could solve your need for more power on your 'work' days but obviously you'd need to stay there, or at least ensure that you 'power up' your batteries to the max before you leave.

One other thing as an aside to all of this, just in case you haven't covered it before/thought of it - have you checked out what your insurance will be for having a mobile office?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
One other thing as an aside to all of this, just in case you haven't covered it before/thought of it - have you checked out what your insurance will be for having a mobile office?

I checked on this with Insurance Choice, explained that I would be working from my van and they had no problem at all with it.

As long as I wasn't using the van to go to or from meetings and it was just me using a PC in the van to work while I was away in it, it was fine with them.

As Minx said though, its worth checking first.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Told you it was worth joining Chris :Smile:

Glad you are getting it together , Carol, x

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
DO NOT BUY LEUSURE BATTERIES. Buy TRACTION BATTERIES. Also get a sterling battrey to battery chartger (or alternator to battery charger)

There are lot more more experianced people to explain the reasons, just keep away from so called leuisre batteies, I did have a link to where i was advised to get mine from, butr new l;aptop and forgotr to copy the website across.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp

Chris & Claire

Many of us have real life experience of what you need.

I'm sure that we will all agree that you have no chance with solar power alone.

My mobile office is mains-free all year.

My wheeled home, with similar power demands to yours, is mains-free for about 6 months each year.

In Winter, find a cheap hook-up.

:Smile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Dear Funsters,

I am hoping someone has already been using a similar setup to the one I am about to install and can give me a few pointers suggestions on weather I'm going to fit the right most efficent solar sytem to FUGLYBUS II..

A little background, I have decided to take the foot of the accelorator and escape the rat race for at least a year! However, it is still important that I have a say in the future of my business as a founding partner that I started so will have to do the occassional piece of work and e-mailing of clients to do from time to time. My business does not require me to be stuck behind a desk as most of the work is done online. It will all be PC based CAD modelling and Post production type work. A powerful WIFI connection is vital which is why I'm talking to the motorhomewifi people.

The system I want to instal must be able to power the following items when off grid or electric hook up:

PC
Laptop
Ipad
Mini projector
Storage drives
Sound system
WACOM pad
Chargers
Fridge
Microwave oven
Water pumps
Heating
Truman boiler
LED lights

Can anyone recommend a solar system that might be a good configuration to run a mobile office from the back of my motorhome?

Has anyone or is anyone running a solar system that is already supplying the power needs of thier business from the back of the motor home?

Can anyone recommend a company that will help me choose and install the perfect system to meet my requirements?

Any help and advice from any experienced funsters who are using solar systems would be of great help before I shell out on a suitable solar system.

Many thanks...

Chris & Claire
FUGLYBUS II

Forget the idea of running all that from solar
It's not possible
A good panel will give you 220w 1.5A
Heating. Will have to be from gas.
I would suggest two battery banks. Run through a marine switch. So you can run one bank at a time so as not to replete every thing at once

You'll need about 4 or better 6. 120Ah batteries
3 in each bank

Also upgrade your Altinator to 180-240 Ah
For recharging

Also consider a marine three way 45 Amp charger system to run off a genny

Solar will top up. But will not recharge a dead battery

Good luck

If you go on RVOC and pm Smudger
He knows more about power needed as he lives in his RV full time and has all the items I list on other post

Might look as I am taking the piss
But it is funny. And I do want to help

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Add up the wattage of each item you list
Then multiply by 100.
Will give you the Kw

For every Kw you will need 1 Kw of charge power just to keep topped up

As I said not possible on solar alone

:Doh:

Ps you do not list a TV. Recorder, printer
Tooth brush, razor hair dryer. Curling tongs straighteners
Vibrator. Washing machine. Tumble dryer

Pmsl

Now I am getting silly.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It is possible on solar alone but only in the summer and you have to spec the gear you are using correctly. I have been off hookup since March and survived quite nicely thank you :winky:
Got a hookup last week as I needed to power up the main computer and solar has pretty much given up providing full power now. It would however still extend my off hookup time from about 6 days to 8 days at this time of year.

I have 2 x 250AH batteries and 3 x 80Watt solar panels. This gives me a week off hookup in so so weather.

Winter however forget it. Find a decent CL for £8-£10 a night once you have been there for 2 weeks see if you can negotiate a discount for a big stay. (with breaks every 28 days obviously)

I avoid anything that says Marine in the title as it is a marketing term that means really expensive with respect to motorhoming.

I don't bother with multiple battery banks either. I prefer it have one massive one. However in my previous vehicle I did have a separate 110AH normal car battery in the back which just powered the boiler and lights. This had a tiny charger and a separate small solar panel. This was totally independent of the main battery bank (which was 1000AH). This meant that if I had an important job on I could run the batteries into the ground without risking losing my heating, water pump and lights. I don't bother now.

I would recommend getting at least another battery. If space/weight allows take it up to 4.

Another useful gadget I would recommend getting is a Victron Battery monitor.

Anyway, enough for now :thumb:

PS: get yourself two gasit refillable gas cylinders as well. Never run your fridge off batteries (unless driving).

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
If you read the original post you will see he wants to run heating and others electrical items from solar.

This is possible if he's in a small van box maybe. Not possible in a standard four berth 18/20 motor home

With respect Grommet you do not have a conventional motor home
So you may scrap through for your personal needs

He wants a lot more from his system

I have a 5 KVA generator to run my systems if I want to run every thing
You will not get anywhere near 5 KV with solar power

If it that was possible we would all have it fitted to our houses never mind motorhomes

Simples :whatthe::whatthe:Eeek:

The last twice I have seen you at a meet. You have had problems starting your engine due battery problems
Not a good sign that it is up to the job
May be a rethink is needed
To resolve that particular issue you have on your outfit

I have started my motor home after running the leisure batts to dead. And main cranking battery to 9.5volts

The good old Marine charger did what it is there to do as it takes less to start the generator. Than the main engine
Up and away in less than three minuets

Just watch me brake down at the next meet with a flat battery's
Now I have put this on forum

Sod's law. He he he

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Dear Funsters,

PC
Laptop
Ipad
Mini projector
Storage drives
Sound system
WACOM pad
Chargers
Fridge
Microwave oven
Water pumps
Heating
Truman boiler
LED lights

Many thanks...

Chris & Claire
FUGLYBUS II

Forget about the fridge and microwave. Cook, cool and heat on gas. Save electricity for devices that actually need it which is lighting (LED is essential), water pump and electronics. In winter, the sun is low in the sky. It may be worth getting frames that can raise the panels 50 degrees or so to the south. This will significantly increase output.

Ensure that all electronics are low powered versions. Throw away any non-LED monitors/laptops. Run everything direct off 12V. Do not use anything that requires an inverter for more than a few minutes. If you can use the laptop, ditch the main PC. If you need a main PC, build it yourself using very carefully selected components. Don't use spinny hard disks. Check chipset and processor thermal power ratings. Use the processor built in GPU if at all possible. These use less than a 1/10th of the electricity of a proper graphics card. If you must have a graphics card, choose very wisely, as they vary considerably on a electric power/processing power ratio basis.

Replace any battery bank chargers with high power versions. I.e. swap your split charge relay for a 50A+ B2B or A2B charger, so if you get low you can recharge quickly with a bit of driving. Get a large mains charger 50A+, so when you do have electricity it doesn't take 24 hours to charge your bank. The factory fit one will only be 10 or 20A which is not enough. Buy a small silent suitcase 650W or 1000W generator that can drive the mains charger at full output.

In bad winter weather, running it for two hours a day will give you 100Ah of electric, enough to charge a 200Ah bank used to 50%. Alternatively, get a massive battery bank and have hookup (or run the generator all day in a layby) every few days.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Duplicate post sorry.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The [HI]last twice[/HI] I have seen you at a meet. You have had problems starting your engine due battery problems
Not a good sign that it is up to the job
May be a rethink is needed
To resolve that particular issue you have on your outfit

I have started my motor home after running the leisure batts to dead. And main cranking battery to 9.5volts
Got to pull you up there. It was once my van failed to start and that was at the Stratford show. Turned out I had a duff Alternator. The reason I had problems at Stratford was my patch lead that links the 500AH Deep cycle leisure battery system to the vehicle battery had a blown mega fuse. 5 minutes after you left I had replaced said fuse and started the engine straight up. I did appreciate your offer of help :thumb: but as you saw I am a self sufficient bugger. My vehicle battery and leisure battery are totally independent system. That failure to start was solely the vehicle battery/Alternator. My leisure batteries were still at 100% due to the solar panels and started the engine without problems once the fuse was replaced.
The patch lead I refer to above is what is used on the 45Amp B2B charger which I have a way of taking out of circuit and connecting the vehicle battery to the engine battery. I installed this when I installed the B2B charger as a just in case measure which paid off at Stratford.

I also don't let my batteries voltage get down that low. The solar panels help with that :winky:

Anyway back to the point. I have met the gentleman concerned, chatted for an hour or more and I do know his requirements.

Previous advice on this thread had already pointed out that he couldn't run all that lot off solar.

I may have misread your post but it read that solar is useless in all circumstances. If I misread it I apologise :Doh::winky:.

But it is perfectly practical for him to live in his van fulltime and run his business using just solar in the summer providing he specs his equipment correctly.. I did however say that it won't be much good in the winter. Read my first post regarding advice on computer systems.

This is possible if he's in a small van box maybe. [HI]Not possible[/HI] in a standard four berth 18/20 motor home
Also my current van is not my first that I have fulltimed in it is my third. I had an 8 meter Eura Mobile tag axle first, then a 10 Meter bus now the 6 Meter van. My advice and systems have remained pretty much the same on all three vehicles.

I also have a 1Kw generator but haven't used it since Stratford 2012 thanks to my solar panels and large battery bank. Which reminds me I better dig it out and give it a run in.

I stand by my statements that anything labelled marine is overpriced and unnecessary for motorhome use. The only thing I have spent more money on than is absolutely necessary is my batteries where I have bought mega expensive deep cycle batteries instead of standard ones.

I am in a good position to advise on this as I am a fulltimer and I run an internet business which requires me to have 24/7 internet access and working computers. The two in combination present some unique requirements.

Just watch me brake down at the next meet with a flat battery's
Now I have put this on forum

Sod's law. He he he
Hopefully you won't. I don't wish that embarrassment on anyone having had it happen to me ONCE:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Gromett, I've just been reading your blog. Very informative and I wish I'd found it earlier in my planning stages as it would have saved me a lot of research :Doh:

I like the way you have your set-up and wondered if you have a link to your complete 12v spec?

I think I've gone with quite a similar set-up but, as you've been using yours for quite a while, would like to see what you have found works well.

I wont be using mine full-time, but will be using it for 2-3 days per week all year around so I built mine to be totally self-sufficient for this period. Like yourself I've gone with a fairly large battery bank (4 x 100ah), solar (2 x 100w with space a wiring for a third if I find I need it) and a smart charging system.

In fact the only area where our set-up seems to really differ is the actual PC. Instead of using a powerful PC and a laptop for when mobile I built a very low power PC and have external USB drives if needed. But as I said, mine is not for full-time and the bulk of my data is stored at home on my server.

I can access it from the van via WiFi if I need to and I think I have a similar WiFi set-up to you as well? (Directional WiFi antenna hard wired to PC, PC as hotspot to power other devices, 3G aerial on roof as a backup)

Sorry for all the questions but you're the first person I've come across that relies on a PC and internet connection whilst in a motorhome.

Out of interest what do you do online for work? (I work online as well)

Cheers,
David

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Gromett, I've just been reading your blog. Very informative and I wish I'd found it earlier in my planning stages as it would have saved me a lot of research :Doh:

I like the way you have your set-up and wondered if you have a link to your complete 12v spec?

I think I've gone with quite a similar set-up but, as you've been using yours for quite a while, would like to see what you have found works well.

I wont be using mine full-time, but will be using it for 2-3 days per week all year around so I built mine to be totally self-sufficient for this period. Like yourself I've gone with a fairly large battery bank (4 x 100ah), solar (2 x 100w with space a wiring for a third if I find I need it) and a smart charging system.

In fact the only area where our set-up seems to really differ is the actual PC. Instead of using a powerful PC and a laptop for when mobile I built a very low power PC and have external USB drives if needed. But as I said, mine is not for full-time and the bulk of my data is stored at home on my server.

I can access it from the van via WiFi if I need to and I think I have a similar WiFi set-up to you as well? (Directional WiFi antenna hard wired to PC, PC as hotspot to power other devices, 3G aerial on roof as a backup)

Sorry for all the questions but you're the first person I've come across that relies on a PC and internet connection whilst in a motorhome.

Out of interest what do you do online for work? (I work online as well)

Cheers,
David

Not had a chance to look at your blog yet, but it is on my list ::bigsmile:

I did look at a 12v ITX system powered directly from the battery but it was underpowered for my main needs when on hookup and with the monitor used to much battery power and was overpowered when off hookup. Link Removed I used.... It has a quad core i5 (Ivy Bridge) I use the built in gpu and has both a fast DVD reader and a slower Blu Ray w/r drive. It will easily run off my generator in an emergency but I wouldn't run it off batteries. I may be upsizing to a 3U case soon though.

I don't have a full plan of my electrical system unfortunately as I modify it as I go. My original trade was electrics/electronics, I hesitate to use the word engineer as that is an oft misused word these days. When I get round to it I will have to do an article on all my systems and setup etc as I have learned a few neat tricks over the years which I wish I knew at the start.

I run a hosting/email company and have done since 1998. I also do consultancy work for people with their own servers. Security, backup systems, software development, system debugging. etc etc. Linux only so no point asking me about windows :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
F

FuglybusII

Free Member
Aug 14, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Motorhome Bro-mance

Gromet, Wissel,

I'm blown away by your knowledge on this subject....and am staggered you both haven't met before at any of the Funsters meets!!

In the words of Dragons Den

"I'd like to accept both dragons on my motorhome project please for 10 percent of the business"

Although, it really makes me happy that a motorhome bro-mance has started from one of my posts!

However, as nice as it all is I do not have the time or the knowledge to put a decent Solar / battery system, similar to the ones you are successfully running in your Motorhomes and would love to commission both of you to help me build my system if your up for it? All advice welcome!! Don't worry I'll do the drilling, screwing, grunt work, I'll be tapping you for tips and knowledge...and what systems to be going with. My Hymer can be your show piece pet project...ha ha ha...Alas, I bet like me your time is limited and i fear we will not get a decent system in before we plan to leave...

To be clear, I want to be able to do as little work as possible but it will be inevitable that I will at some point have to be glued to my mobile desk in order to sort out an issue with work. I will be working on Cad drafting preparing, 3D models, rendering in 3D Studio max and using Photoshop to create architectural visualisations for my clients.

Cheers all again for this interesting read,

PS, Carol, I know we are super excited at the prospect of getting the hell out of dodge for the winter, but I'm worried about all the technical stuff and making sure the Hymer is fully ready!

Chris & Clare

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Chris, I've just looked at the recommended spec for a PC running 3D Studio max (very familiar with Photoshop as I use Creative Suite myself).

From their website the graphics card requirements are huge.

Could you tell the spec of the PC you are running this software on at the moment?

Could do with knowing what processor, operating system, amount of ram and what graphics card.

With regard to the actual 12v electrics, how many batteries can you fit in your van and how far away would they be from your starter battery?

Also, how much room do you have on your roof?

OP
OP
F

FuglybusII

Free Member
Aug 14, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Current System Spec

Wissel,

As I'm sat at my desk now I'm running the following:

PC Standard workstation case
Windows 7 pro
Intel (R) Core(TM) i7 - 2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz
32.0 GB Ram
64 bit OS
AMD Firepro V5900 (ATI FireGL) Graphics Card
WACOM digital tablet
24" Dell monitor
6 x USB ports
CD read write drive

Main Software requirements:
Sketchup
AutoCAD
Rhino
3D Studio MAX 2013
Adobe CS6 suite
Microsoft office Suite

Couple of things to note:
I intend to run a mini projector when working on projects instead of the 24" Dell monitor. So the toss up is between running a powerfull enough PC versus a Powerfull laptop.

I hope this helps you identify a selfbuild PC that would be suitable for my needs..

Cheers,

Chris & Claire

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Gromet, Wissel,

I'm blown away by your knowledge on this subject....and am staggered you both haven't met before at any of the Funsters meets!!

In the words of Dragons Den

"I'd like to accept both dragons on my motorhome project please for 10 percent of the business"

Although, it really makes me happy that a motorhome bro-mance has started from one of my posts!

However, as nice as it all is I do not have the time or the knowledge to put a decent Solar / battery system, similar to the ones you are successfully running in your Motorhomes and would love to commission both of you to help me build my system if your up for it? All advice welcome!! Don't worry I'll do the drilling, screwing, grunt work, I'll be tapping you for tips and knowledge...and what systems to be going with. My Hymer can be your show piece pet project...ha ha ha...Alas, I bet like me your time is limited and i fear we will not get a decent system in before we plan to leave...

To be clear, I want to be able to do as little work as possible but it will be inevitable that I will at some point have to be glued to my mobile desk in order to sort out an issue with work. I will be working on Cad drafting preparing, 3D models, rendering in 3D Studio max and using Photoshop to create architectural visualisations for my clients.

Cheers all again for this interesting read,

PS, Carol, I know we are super excited at the prospect of getting the hell out of dodge for the winter, but I'm worried about all the technical stuff and making sure the Hymer is fully ready!

Chris & Clare
I used to use Macdonalds for fee WiFi. When I had my Mercedes motor home. Could park up and access it from most sites on the road :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back