Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi what are peoples opinion on this van please remember we are looking for our first camper. .

thanks

mark

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure about price, but it is a petrol so fuel economy won't be great but the biggest worry for me is the damp in the washroom under the window and the 'stain' in there above the toilet ... if it has damp in any of the bodywork you could be looking at at LOT of expense! If you do go to see it please please please take someone with you who knows what to look for!!!!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Petrol engine could cost a fortune to run IMO

Other than that it looks nice.

And its not a fortune if its dry inside no damp.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
It looks very nice in the photo's. Just check for rust & damp. I had a J reg Fiat Ducato which is the same thing as they were all made in the Sevel factory(badged as a Talbot for the uk market). Ours was a small Hymer coachbuilt. Solid as a rock as a base veh. but can't comment on the Autohomes bit.
Have a look at "talbotoc" on google. There is a mine of info on there for you.
Good luck:Smile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Just had a look at the damp patch

Could just be male owner:ROFLMAO:

With a bad aim

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All down to condition. If OK for a few trouble free years you could have a whole lot of fun in that at very little cost.

If there is a bit of damp but structurally sound, try and stop it going worse and carry on.

At this age if you need to be a competent DIYer because repair costs if you go to dealers could easily reach purchase price.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
take a damp meter with you, very cheap from ebay. Any thing below 18% is fine, classed as normal condensation and breathing.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Apart from what's already Ben mentioned, check to see if it has PAS, could be heavy steering to park up without it:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mark don't bother with the first one -you can get a lot better for your money --2nd one looks great for the money but I THINK it's a scam :Eeek::Eeek:-try reading a lot of my posts on scams :winky:You can always phone up or email the gumtree one but DON'T part with any money until you have got the vehicle :thumb:--None of the pay money into bank acc AND THEY WILL HOLD IT UNTIL YOU TELL THEN TO RELEASE IT AFTER i HAVE ARRANGED DELIVERY ETC ETC
TERRY

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Take Terry's advise...
Be aware there are many scams based on motorhome sales. People hijack vehicle details and copy onto other selling sites. then it's "just send me a deposit of £50 by paypal" etc etc..
If the price does seem to good then it usually is.....

Now you are on the forum and getting some advise start making a list of what you may want.

Petrol or Diesel. ?
How many berths and seat belts ?

etc etc

Ref that first van, It's only 15 mins away from me down the A5...
That does look an issue with damp in the bedroom, also rear entry door ! dont think that is very popular....
Also I see it has seat belts on the side seats !! Not even sure if that is legal and will pass an MOT ????
Or who would have fitted them, dont think it's standard.

OH..... and watch out for premium rate numbers,, they use they a lot now on Gumtree adverts,!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm old school with money cash on collection only.
I'm after a 4 birth and preferably a diesel and a toilet. I emailed the second one three gumtree and he as emailed back his number so might ring him

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mark, on your budget you will find it very hard to find a van with 4 x 3 point seatbelts :Smile: they simply did not make them much.Bongos etc will have 4 belts but I got the impression you wanted a CB (coach built) type van.
How do you feel about LHD ? There's a couple of nice Deflef, LMC left hookers under budget. Don't panic there will be a van out there if not now within a month or two::bigsmile:
Terry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi you mention about your boys I notice the first van has side facing lap belts we where told when we started looking these could cause more damage than no seatbelts.

Go to a dealer and have a look at loads of layouts even if out of your price range.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again Mark have a look at this
Link Removed
OFFERs ? That will run forever nd last yrs plus hold it's value
Lots of vans on ebay autions but not many with BIN prices or classified s
Terry

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Mark, on your budget you will find it very hard to find a van with 4 x 3 point seatbelts :Smile: they simply did not make them much.Bongos etc will have 4 belts but I got the impression you wanted a CB (coach built) type van.
How do you feel about LHD ? There's a couple of nice Deflef, LMC left hookers under budget. Don't panic there will be a van out there if not now within a month or two::bigsmile:
Terry

Hi terry I don't mined lhd just thought they where harder to insure

OP
OP
Hudders1

Hudders1

Free Member
Sep 14, 2013
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Ford transit
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi again Mark have a look at this
Link Removed
OFFERs ? That will run forever nd last yrs plus hold it's value
Lots of vans on ebay autions but not many with BIN prices or classified s
Terry

Hi looks good to me just don't understand the sleeping configuration from the pictures just me being thick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back