Solar panel, how does it work? (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Could you tell me how the Solar panel works: Is it just the Solar panel that charges a Leisure Battery, or is it he engine as well? If it is both, does the Solar panel stop charging when the engine is running or is it the other way round? How do “they” know when it’s full of charge?

I am sorry if it seems a daft question, I know how to fix computers, but I know nothing about electric…..No let me explain, I know LESS than nothing about electric, except you put a plug in and it works!

Next question: Is it worth having a Solar panel and why?
Could you explain in simples language please.:Smile::Doh::thumb:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Let me try and explain in laymans terms.

The sun gives off magic rays, which the solar panel imps catch in there little magic converters which in turn fills up the magic box. If you get a cheap solar panel, the imps only work when the sun is shining, but if you have an expensive panel, the solar imps knock off when the sun goes down and then the magical moon fairys take over.

Hope that explains it all. Simples.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011

The sun gives off magic rays, which the solar panel imps catch in there little magic converters which in turn fills up the magic box. If you get a cheap solar panel, the imps only work when the sun is shining, but if you have an expensive panel, the solar imps knock off when the sun goes down and then the magical moon fairys take over.

:censored:2:Wacko:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Well that was FUN:ROFLMAO:

Perhaps I didn't explain in a proper manner (always got to be VERY careful on this forum). The main thrust of the question was....How does it work....Past the little magic sun rays and the little fairies.

But I must really thank you for your detailed information, that will help me soooo much when I start to do my repairs on the motorhome:thumb:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
here to help, to be honest I would be interested to know exactly how it works. I do know you need a regulator/rectifier which stops the batteries cooking but thats about it

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't pretend to know all the technical stuff (beyond a regulator being needed and the fact that a better quality panel only needs daylight rather than direct sun to produce at least some power). That is why we got Dave Newell to install the panel on our Burstner. We used a stand alone panel with the Autoquest which had everything built in so was easy to attach.

Whether or not the panel will charge both batteries depends on whether there is the necessary circuitry between them. Brief notes of our experiences Here.

By the way that bit about Moon Fairies isn't true. Like all Funsters they're in the bar/beer tent after the sun goes down ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
im in a sensible mood so here goes.

solar panel produces around 17v direct current (DC).

this then goes to your solar controller which lowers the voltage to around 13 volts

now its sent to your battery.

the solar controller monitors the voltage in the battery and when it equals the voltage from the controller it cuts off the charge, until the battery voltage drops slightly then it begins charging again....and so on.

running the engine or connecting to hookup makes no difference to the solar charge in so much as it will continue to charge if needed.

as for which battery, its normal for the leisure battery to be charged but it could be wired for both or either.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
most vans have a split charge system which charges the batteries from the alternator when the engine is running its called split because once the engine is off the switch breaks the circuit so you cant flatten the starter battery
a battery charger to charge the batteries when on ehu this usually acts as a power supply so you can use all the 12volt stuff in the van when on hook up
the solar is added to get charge into batteries when not on hook up and stationary it obviously charges continuously when ever there is sun
the output from the pane lis taken to the batteries via a controller which ensures the batteries receive the voltage they need and cuts the charging if the reach full capacity
thats a basic outline there are other ways of doing the same but this is probably the cheapest and most common
if you use the van on sites with electric hook up all the time you probably dont need solar
if your off grid all the time the more solar and batteries the better

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

this then goes to your solar controller which lowers the voltage to around 13 volts

the solar controller monitors the voltage in the battery and when it equals the voltage from the controller it cuts off the charge, until the battery voltage drops slightly then it begins charging again....and so on.

running the engine or connecting to hookup makes no difference to the solar charge in so much as it will continue to charge if needed.

as for which battery, its normal for the leisure battery to be charged but it could be wired for both or either.

So glad I caught you in a sensible mood!:Smile:

Thank you very much, a valued explanation, very, very clear. :thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
... and always ensure you wire the regulator to the battery/ies before wiring the panel/s to the regulator :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

well, i had just got off the phone to the solar imps asking where they were going now their main supplier had gone south for the winter.

they said they were going ski-ing with the lunar fairies providing there was a good fall of fairy dust, but would be back in May next year

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year

How is that any different to what I said:RollEyes:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Next question: Is it worth having a Solar panel and why?

If you store your MH on your drive, within reach of mains electricity, and you only plan to stop on campsites and pay extra for an Electric Hook Up (EHU), it's probably not worth having a solar panel.

If you store your MH elsewhere and don't want your batteries to go flat between outings, thus damaging them, then a solar panel is handy but not infallible. UK sunlight levels can be very low in winter, and other means of topping up the battery charge may be necessary, for example driving the MH round for half an hour every couple of weeks.

Where solar panels really come into their own is if you want to use low cost field-plus-tap type campsites that don't offer EHUs, if you want to wild camp in lay-bys or similar (for example in Scotland) or if you want to use Aires on the continent, most of which don't offer EHUs. Eventually, the savings on EHU fees and expensive campsite fees will probably go some way to offsetting your solar panel costs, but the biggest bonus is the flexibility it allows you when touring around, and the ability to stop somewhere during Spring through to Autumn for as long as you want without hooking up to the national grid.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
If yiu talk to Alan at http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/ he will explain all to you and can supply you with a good quality solar panel (they are not all the same) together with everything you need to install the whole thing.

I got mine from him earlier this year, fitted it myself quite easily, and now have no problems with keeping the batteries charged whilst in storage.

Only connection is as a very satisfied customer.:Smile:

Mike

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
if you use the van on sites with electric hook up all the time you probably dont need solar
if your off grid all the time the more solar and batteries the better

I don't agree. I have a solar panel even though I use ehu's most of the time and the reason why is this - I need it to keep the batteries topped up when the van is standing idle because I do not have access to mains power.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the easiest analogy to use for electricity is water and pipes. most people understand the principles with that. consider a hose pipe with water flowing through it, that is your wire. the speed or pressure of the water is the current. a battery is like a tank and fills up with electricity the same as a water tank fills with water

due to a physical reaction within the cells on a solar panel it starts the current flowing. so water travels down the pipe till it reaches the regulator, this is like a tap that adjusts the flow.
the flowing current enters the battery, like water entering the tank and depending on the pressure or current begins to fill up. as the battery reaches full, the flow stops as theres nowhere to put it and the current or pressure drops to zero.
if you use some of the energy in the battery, the current rises to refill it

now if the battery is only part full and you start the engine, you are connecting another supply, or pipe, so the battery will fill faster. again when its full the flow stops with both the engine supply (alternator) and solar panel current dropping to zero. remember the bigger the wire, the more water passes through per second. so 2 cables filling the same battery will charge it quicker

it really is as simple as that in action, so i wont go into excited electrons inducing a flow in the cable causing the battery to gas and accumulate free electrons at the plates, as that would just confuse things

hope this helps explain the principle:thumb:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
the easiest analogy to use for electricity is water and pipes. most people understand the principles with that. consider a hose pipe with water flowing through it, that is your wire. the speed or pressure of the water is the current. a battery is like a tank and fills up with electricity the same as a water tank fills with water

due to a physical reaction within the cells on a solar panel it starts the current flowing. so water travels down the pipe till it reaches the regulator, this is like a tap that adjusts the flow.
the flowing current enters the battery, like water entering the tank and depending on the pressure or current begins to fill up. as the battery reaches full, the flow stops as theres nowhere to put it and the current or pressure drops to zero.
if you use some of the energy in the battery, the current rises to refill it

now if the battery is only part full and you start the engine, you are connecting another supply, or pipe, so the battery will fill faster. again when its full the flow stops with both the engine supply (alternator) and solar panel current dropping to zero. remember the bigger the wire, the more water passes through per second. so 2 cables filling the same battery will charge it quicker

it really is as simple as that in action, so i wont go into excited electrons inducing a flow in the cable causing the battery to gas and accumulate free electrons at the plates, as that would just confuse things

hope this helps explain the principle:thumb:

That took me back to my school days and oddly, I had only this week used the water analogy to enlighten a young lad about electricity.

V oltage is the pressure
A mperage is the flow
W atts is the product.
W = V x A

Double V then A is halved to obtain the same wattage etc.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Originally Posted by stcyr View Post
... and always ensure you wire the regulator to the battery/ies before wiring the panel/s to the regulator
I know the reason why, as im sure you do, but how many others know ?

or is it...cos i was told to.

ok pappajohn why cos i dont know and i am about to rig up a extra battery?
don't Originally Posted by stcyr View Post
... and always ensure you wire the regulator to the battery/ies before wiring the panel/s to the regulator
I know the reason why, as im sure you do, but how many others know ?

or is it...cos i was told to.
want to blow any thing :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back