Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Just wondering what kind of distances people are doing every year in their motorhome. We've only had ours since August last year and have done 14,000km which is about 8600 miles. Considering we both work full time (we are young fogies) I think that's pretty good going.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We manage 5-6k annually, depends whether we go to France or not as this adds 1k to our mileage getting to the channel and back.

Rgds
Bill

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Just wondering what kind of distances people are doing every year in their motorhome. We've only had ours since August last year and have done 14,000km which is about 8600 miles. Considering we both work full time (we are young fogies) I think that's pretty good going.

We have to date covered this year 19,834km ( Spain, UK, France and Germany ) and plan to go to Portugal Nov/Dec for a few months. Last year was 11,200kms around Spain and Portugal, but we are retired.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Using your motorhome on a regular basis keeps it healthy and all the working parts free from problems. Most engines take many miles to run in and it's only then that you notice the fuel consumption improving. Diesel engines can achieve very high mileages without any adverse problems as long as they are looked after properly. Some dealers use the mileage as an excuse to offer a lower trade in price which I think is very wrong. I think I have mentioned this before about a guy I met over in France with a very low mileage motorhome who had just got it back from a garage that had fitted a brand new engine that had cost an eye watering amount of money. The problem was put down to the cooling system being furred up through lack of use. It cost over £13000 to get it back on the road, so much for low mileage engines.

OP
OP
M

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
We have to date covered this year 19,834km ( Spain, UK, France and Germany ) and plan to go to Portugal Nov/Dec for a few months. Last year was 11,200kms around Spain and Portugal, but we are retired.
You lucky lucky people. It sounds like heaven! We'll need to wait another 30-35 years for retirement, either that or pack everything in and just go with fingers crossed. But that's another thread.

Using your motorhome on a regular basis keeps it healthy and all the working parts free from problems. Most engines take many miles to run in and it's only then that you notice the fuel consumption improving. Diesel engines can achieve very high mileages without any adverse problems as long as they are looked after properly. Some dealers use the mileage as an excuse to offer a lower trade in price which I think is very wrong. I think I have mentioned this before about a guy I met over in France with a very low mileage motorhome who had just got it back from a garage that had fitted a brand new engine that had cost an eye watering amount of money. The problem was put down to the cooling system being furred up through lack of use. It cost over £13000 to get it back on the road, so much for low mileage engines.

Agree on all counts. I have seen some friends buy low mileage older cars and subsequently have problems caused by lack of use. This was a concern when we bought ours at 13 years and 75,000 km but actually haven't seen any issues. (at least, none caused by lack of use.)

"Buy on condition, not mileage" is a very useful thing to keep in mind. Of course, dealers will always want to give less for a vehicle (not just MH) with more on the clock but this is usually not a good indicator of anything at all. Type of use, maintenance, mechanical sympathy etc. are all better indicators but of course you cannot see these in any way so we go on mileage instead.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Its not the dealers its the buyers who need educating, every prospective buyer I speak to is searching for the x years old one with 5k or less on the clock, I do about 6k a year and mine was under 2years old when I got it through ebay with 21k nearly all european motorway miles on the clock, its not just the chassis to think about I remember a caravan service manage telling me that little used habitation equipment produced far more problems that high usage ones.
In saying that I got a great price on mine as the dealer offer he had was terrible using the mileage as an excuse !!!!:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We've only had ours since August last year and have done 14,000km which is about 8600 miles.

We do about half that a year, usually one 3-4K trip and then UK.

There are two types of MH users. The young, new, enthusiastic ones who equate distance to enjoyment.

And the older more experienced ones who realise flashing through somewhere is not enjoying it. We stop, get the bikes out and explore, photograph. Then on a cold winter's night get out a bottle of wine picked up travelling and look at the pictures.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
3000 to 4000 miles a year for me, I get away every other weekend form around march to nov pus big holls to france, if for some reason I cant get away ( rarly happens) I'll take it for a run down the a1 for a 30 mile round trip just to keep it used

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
A1?

3000 to 4000 miles a year for me, I get away every other weekend form around march to nov pus big holls to france, if for some reason I cant get away ( rarly happens) I'll take it for a run down the a1 for a 30 mile round trip just to keep it used

I've only had my Scout since February this year but so far have managed to rack up about 10,000 miles (one trip to France, one trip to France/Spain and numerous UK short trips).

That might not be representative of my long term use (but I hope it is!) but keep your eye out for me on the A1 as I use it a lot!

Simon

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Its OK for some to bragg they have done 12,000mls a year.....but think what that has cost in fuel.

OP
OP
M

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
I Don't think anyone was bragging :)

Maybe I should also ask how many nights have you spent in your MH in the last year, cross reference that with number of miles travelled to calculate some kind of MH-hardcoreness rating! :roflmto:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
About 4k per year.

A lot of local 50mile radius trips and a longer French trip once or twice a year.

We use through the winter as well as it`s nice to get out of the house for a while :thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

Maybe I should also ask how many nights have you spent in your MH in the last year, cross reference that with number of miles travelled to calculate some kind of MH-hardcoreness rating! :roflmto:

about 18 weekends 1/2 of which are 3 nighters 1/2 2 nighters

plus 20 days hollidays so arround 70ish days, which considering I have to work is not bad I think.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Its OK for some to bragg they have done 12,000mls a year.....but think what that has cost in fuel.

Who's bragging the question was asked and people reply. Fuel to date for trips this year is 1,300 euros, but that includes scooter fuel as well and heating when needed.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp

As for nights in MH 180 nights ( some places 2/3 night in same place, others longer ) to date this year or thats 0.11km per day ( but of course it does not work like that ) We log everything we do in the MH on an app called , "Road trip HD" for ipad/iphone, which is great as we have a good idea what each day costs, were we stayed and bought fuel etc as it logs GPS location. We also run a scooter for getting around places.

Last edited:

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Mileage

We left UK on 1st June and have so far clocked up 10,000 miles. Mainly around France Spain Portugal and Italy. Things will slow down soon

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We do 4,500 - 5,000 miles annually, most of it from two trips a year to France or beyond. We don't use it as much for weekends as we should, but the working pattern has changed this year so maybe that will change.

As for the distance/enjoyment ratio - it's a bit difficult to see how I'm going to enjoy Spain, Southern France or Italy without putting the miles in. If holiday time is limited by work I want to see the highlights first then fill in the gaps at a more sedate pace when I'm retired.

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
mileage

weve had this motorhome over two years and in that time we have done 20.000 miles we don't only use it going away we also use it as a car as well i.e. shopping going out for the day and so on. enjoy every minuete of it and would hate to go back to a car. steve:thumb:

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We've had this Motorhome 16 months and have done about 12,000 miles and spent roughly 180 nights in it. Mileage includes a tour of German Baltic coast last year, central Fance/Luxembourg/Belgium and Netherlands ths year, 3 trips down to England, 1 to Newcaste ferry and one to Dover plus a few 3 to 7 day trips in Scotland. We are almost 700 miles from Dover!
No boasting just enjoying using van, yes fuel costs are high but would be much higher flying on holiday!

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
How many miles

Hi, much depends on where you live if you intend to travel abroad, but being "over there" I guess abroad for you is here! What we've found over the past 8 years (last 2 as retirees) is that we averaged about 5K a year for the first 6, but since retiring we go away more often and for longer, and now average around 7k. But I definitely agree that whist the purpose of having a motorhome is to provide the flexibility to get up and go as it suits, doing tons of miles with very short stop-overs is best avoided.
Gary

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
since March we have done 3850 miles and around 80 nights and 10 nights and around 150 miles more coming up from this weekend.

so thats approx :-

44 miles per night
or
1 night in 2 since end of March

45 of which were in one go :thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Had our van for 6 years now & done 50000 & still runs as sweet as a nut. :thumb:

Send almost 200 nights away during the year most in S Europe, but then we are retired with nothing better to do. :Cool:

I'll let someone else work that out. :winky:

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
13 months and 7600 miles. Possibly a few less this year as the regular trip to the dealer for warranty work has now ceased it all being done. ::bigsmile:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We average about 6,000 miles a year in our van. When we get home from France next weekend it will just hit 18,000. It goes for it's first MOT (3rd birthday) a week tomorrow.

We tend to do 2 x 4-week trips to South of France each year, plus some touring in the UK. Current holiday also took in Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Switzerland on the way down.

We're retired and spend 70-80 nights pa in the van.

Mike

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to do the mad dash abroad due to on being able to take a maximum of 3 weeks holiday at one time due to having to work (and I had a real fight on my hands to get that!). This year we've had 2 main holidays, one of 47 nights and one of 28 nights, and shorter trips to the Peterborough show of 4 nights, Newark show of 2 nights (was supposed to be 3 but the weather was bad ... remember the snow!) plus the odd trip out to keep the van running sweet, odd shopping trips and runs to the beach etc, and pick up bulky stuff from the DIY shop, so a total of 81 nights.

When we bought it on 29 August 2012 (it was registered on 1 June 2012) it had just under 1000 miles on and the current mileage is approx 10225, so we've done around 9,300 miles! ::bigsmile:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
22000 in 2 years and 5 months, so about 9000pa.

We are retired and go for usually 2 long trips per year, of 60+ days each, plus the odd weekend and shorter trip.

I agree with those that have said best way to look after a van is to use it as much as poss, and really low mileage is bad news.

Hopefully this van will last years!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We do about half that a year, usually one 3-4K trip and then UK.

There are two types of MH users. The young, new, enthusiastic ones who equate distance to enjoyment.

And the older more experienced ones who realise flashing through somewhere is not enjoying it. We stop, get the bikes out and explore, photograph. Then on a cold winter's night get out a bottle of wine picked up travelling and look at the pictures.

What about somewhere in between Brian?

We do 5k a year but one of those trips is really adventurous. The others are mostly local to get away from road noise and relax!
Oh and there's those trips where we hang about with the older more experienced motorhomers!:winky:

Are you coming to Lincoln Brian?:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back