Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Hi,

Just returned from a lovely weekend in the Motorhome, staying at 'Slatebarns,' at Roslin (next door to the Chapel), near Edinburgh.
Weather was great Friday & Saturday, but has tipped it down today on the way home. Noticed how filthy the van was (especially the rear). I've used my snow foam lance and my long handled brush to get the thing a bit cleaner before hosing it off (no, normal hose, not pressure washer).

What do you use, or am I going in the right direction with my method?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

I have a wife..............:Cool:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I use a strong mix of "Wash & Wax"... :thumb:

But always make sure beforehand there is a good coat of wax polish on...

I do mine at least twice a year... :Cool:

And always give the whole van/RV a good hose off before using a brush with any solution...

Because especially the back.... which seems to pick up loads of grit from the road... and if you don't hose off first and just brush off, it leaves and makes millions of very fine scratches in the paintwork.... like using a fine sand paper.... :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Glad this came up as I keep meaning to search online or ask on here. We washed ours for the first time a few weeks ago and it was pretty disgusting in places. Did it all by hand as we don't have a hosepipe.

My question is how to get rid of the water/rain lines which come down from e.g. corners of windows. No amount of rubbing with the sponge and warm soapy (not actual soap but normal car shampoo) would remove them. You can't see them that clearly but I know they're there and so notice them. It makes the van look old and uncared for.

In return for tips on the above I can tell you a secret (shh!) at least it was a surprise to me. I bought a spray bottle of insect remover to use on the front edge of the alcove (actually not sure what you call that in English, I only got this word from German where we bought ours, it means the bit above the cab where the bed is) as it was caked in them. It did an OK job of removing them but did an AMAZING job of de-yellowing the white plastic cowling in several areas and the grey plastic in others. Really make the whole MH look much better, cleaner and newer. No effort needed either, the yellow just ran off with the liquid, amazing.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
My question is how to get rid of the water/rain lines which come down from e.g. corners of windows. No amount of rubbing with the sponge and warm soapy (not actual soap but normal car shampoo) would remove them. You can't see them that clearly but I know they're there and so notice them. It makes the van look old and uncared for.
(snip)

Do a search for Black Streaks on here and you will find that many of us have posted out favourite tips. Pick the one you like best :Smile:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Glad this came up as I keep meaning to search online or ask on here. We washed ours for the first time a few weeks ago and it was pretty disgusting in places. Did it all by hand as we don't have a hosepipe.

In return for tips on the above I can tell you a secret (shh!) at least it was a surprise to me. I bought a spray bottle of insect remover to use on the front edge of the alcove (actually not sure what you call that in English, I only got this word from German where we bought ours, it means the bit above the cab where the bed is) as it was caked in them. It did an OK job of removing them but did an AMAZING job of de-yellowing the white plastic cowling in several areas and the grey plastic in others. Really make the whole MH look much better, cleaner and newer. No effort needed either, the yellow just ran off with the liquid, amazing.

Hi Melchior, Can you tell us the brand of spray you used please.

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
I can't, sorry. Used the whole bottle and threw the empty away. Anyway I'm not in UK so probable you won't be able to find what I used :(

You can find bugs-away kind of stuff at Halfords etc., so I'd just give any of those a try. It would be interesting to know what's in this stuff and if it's possible to use other types of cleaners to do the same thing. Reason I say that is the one I bought was about €7 for a bottle of 500ml, not exactly cheap.

It wasn't this Turtle Wax one but same sort of idea:

Link Removed

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I can't, sorry. Used the whole bottle and threw the empty away. Anyway I'm not in UK so probable you won't be able to find what I used :(

You can find bugs-away kind of stuff at Halfords etc., so I'd just give any of those a try. It would be interesting to know what's in this stuff and if it's possible to use other types of cleaners to do the same thing. Reason I say that is the one I bought was about €7 for a bottle of 500ml, not exactly cheap.

It wasn't this Turtle Wax one but same sort of idea:

Link Removed

Thanks, I’ll experiment.

Monty1083

Free Member
Jul 29, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I had a bit of a revelation last weekend whilst in Talybont on Usk - lovely area by the way and an excellent site.....
Anyway, a neighbour had put me on to a product called Bees Knees Waterless Wash and Wax. You simply spray on, spread with a micro fibre cloth, allow to dry for a few seconds then polish off with a dry micro fibre cloth, (both cloths were supplied with the cleaner).
I was dubious at first but having seen him use it on his cars, I was sufficiently impressed to buy a bottle. I was even more impressed with the price; £5.99 for a 750ml bottle.
Having a bit of downtime over the weekend and Monty being a bit on the grubby side I thout I would give it a go.. I was amazed. In about half an hour I had done two sides and the front of the van - couldn't do the top as I didn't have a ladder!
Probably used about a third of the bottle if that. It even cleaned off the black streaks.
I've been trying to source some more but the store I got it from have sold out and don't know if/when they will have any more stock and can't find it on t'internet.
Until I find some more, I guess it's back to the old elbow grease!! :cry:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,

Just returned from a lovely weekend in the Motorhome, staying at 'Slatebarns,' at Roslin (next door to the Chapel), near Edinburgh.
Weather was great Friday & Saturday, but has tipped it down today on the way home. Noticed how filthy the van was (especially the rear). I've used my snow foam lance and my long handled brush to get the thing a bit cleaner before hosing it off (no, normal hose, not pressure washer).

I drive it in the rain occasionally.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back