Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've been posting updates of my 1947 Flxible bus restoration on the RVOC forum but I've had a few requests to put information on here as some don't go over to the "dark side" much::bigsmile:

For those who don't know the story, I'll very briefly explain: I was surfing the net as you do and came across a make of vintages busses called Flxible (not a spelling mistake, they removed the "e" to trademark the name). It became a bit of a dream to own one and then eventually found a fairly rust free example in the California desert that was destined for the crusher and bought it. We have been living on baked beans on toast ever since to try and fnance the restoration:Smile:

The project has reached an important milestone as it now runs (having been stood for over 30 years). This has required a huge investment so far but there is no turning back now!!

I have a flickr account that I will update and a short video on youtube of the bus finallly moving under it's own steam:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95137559@N04/sets/72157635089781485/

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH3kYLzjlp8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH3kYLzjlp8[/ame]

I'll update as I go along.

You can read the full story on the RVOC forum (1947 flxible clipper restoration thread). I'm called bingo_66 on there.

Broken Link Removed

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Bingo, I have been watching your progress avidly. Your doing a greet job there. Good thing its not me doing a restoration like that as I would have to be standing over them whilst they did it. The Flxx is going to be something to very proud of when complete.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kex66 and welcome :thumb:
Link Removed
:winky: some project ::bigsmile::thumb: I am not reading all the thread :Smile: but may well get around to it later :winky:
Are you restoring it all back to original or putting a modern interior in?
BTW RVOC is the sister site to here :thumb: The dark side is Facts not Fun ::bigsmile: Don't want to give them publicity :winky:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Kex66 and welcome :thumb:
Link Removed
:winky: some project ::bigsmile::thumb: I am not reading all the thread :Smile: but may well get around to it later :winky:
Are you restoring it all back to original or putting a modern interior in?
BTW RVOC is the sister site to here :thumb: The dark side is Facts not Fun ::bigsmile: Don't want to give them publicity :winky:
Terry

Hi Terry,

The inerior will be re-done but hopefully retain a retro look. The pictures below show the type of simple interior I want to go for:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kerri I have now read all the posts on RVOC after having to join ::bigsmile: Personally I like the very high glossy finished Cherry or beech boards - they look like a very highly polished piano- and I think they would suite your bus very well :Smile:Don't forget you need the interior electrics doing for UK rather than US
Terry

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Yank bus

Hi, Kerry Thats A great old bus and it looks like an Airstream type design what colour will you finish it in :thumb:

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, Kerry Thats A great old bus and it looks like an Airstream type design what colour will you finish it in :thumb:

Hi Mike,

Exactly the same paint scheme as it has now - mid blue over white with dark blue detailing. The bumpers, wiper arms, rear mirrors and the FLxible sign on the front will all have a chrome finish as well as chrome wheel trims and chrome finish on the headlight trim.

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Latest update on my 1947 Flxible bus project:

The bus is now running like new and after all of the expensive mechanical work, is ready for exterior paint. The invoice below is a running total of the work from the start of the project and the latest additions are - front end alignment, sandblasting of the exterior paintwork and priming ready for paint. The exterior design will be an exact copy of the bus's original coachwork which you can see in the video and pictures in this thread.

The bumpers, wiper arms, rear view mirrors and "Flxible Sign" on the front of the bus will all be in chrome. The ugly vents on the passenger side of the vehicle (about half way down) will be replaced with something less industrial in their appearance.

Link Removed

Adding the original purchase price and towing costs from the desert to the restorers shop:

$4,000 - vehicle purchase price
$1,200 - recovery charge

TOTAL SO FAR: $24,411Link RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

About - £16,500Link Removed::bigsmile:

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
That bus looks so so lovely. They really don't make them like they used to! The invoice is eyewatering, top marks for sticking with the project - so many don't. To be fair though, for 16 grand you couldn't buy something so lovely but newer. It wouldn't be anything special anyway.

Keep it up ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
That bus looks so so lovely. They really don't make them like they used to! The invoice is eyewatering, top marks for sticking with the project - so many don't. To be fair though, for 16 grand you couldn't buy something so lovely but newer. It wouldn't be anything special anyway.

Keep it up ::bigsmile:

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

I've taken on a second job to try and finance this project so have had to sacrifice weekends away in our motorhome and a few other things as well. At least the constant car boot sales we're doing to raise money has cleared a couple of sheds out!!:ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It is a real beauty I love the lines of it these things seem to have a soul modern day things lack good luck with your project please keep us all up to date I cannot wait to see some more pictures of your progress thank you for posting this thread:thumb:

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
It is a real beauty I love the lines of it these things seem to have a soul modern day things lack good luck with your project please keep us all up to date I cannot wait to see some more pictures of your progress thank you for posting this thread:thumb:

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. The restorer is taking some detailed pictures over the next week so we can work out the exterior finish and interior layout. As soon as they come through, I'll post them on here.:thumb:

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
The Flxible has now been sandblasted. I was warned that the vehicle could need extensive bodywork done once the paint had been removed but even the guys who removed the paint couldn't believe how little rust there was and they do these old buses all the time.

Some bodywork to be done around the rear grill on the drivers side but that's about it. The bus had 7 layers of lead based paint on it and together with it being stored in California for over 40 years, contributed to it being in such good shape:thumb:

As you will hear from the video, the engine is running perfectly so the next step is the exterior paint and to decide on the interior layout. I've run out of money so I'll have to wait for a while to finance the next part of the project.

As usual, I'll keep you guys informed and update this thread when I have more to show.::bigsmile:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtS0-NwWwS4&feature"]England Flxible video - YouTube[/ame]

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
A Great Project,we wish you lots of happiness with it:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've been contacted by a guy from the USA who has seen the latest video of the Flxible stripped and ready for paint. He's very kindly informed that the "Flxible" name plate on the front of our bus is extremely rareLink Removed

Almost all of the name plates have "Loudonville Ohio, USA" under the name "Flxible". Only a handful are left that have a name plate with nothing appearing under the name "Flxible". Only a small point I suppose but to a true collector it might be worth a few bobLink Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I've been contacted by a guy from the USA who has seen the latest video of the Flxible stripped and ready for paint. He's very kindly informed that the "Flxible" name plate on the front of our bus is extremely rareLink Removed

Almost all of the name plates have "Loudonville Ohio, USA" under the name "Flxible". Only a handful are left that have a name plate with nothing appearing under the name "Flxible". Only a small point I suppose but to a true collector it might be worth a few bobLink Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

hope that makes it worth more for you :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As someone else said - WOW.

Fantastic:thumb:

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
could just be the picture quality but it looks to have a very slightly different F as well....bottom curl and end of centre 'bar'

I think you're right John. F looks very different!

I don't want to go too mad with chrome on the outside but I'd like the Flxible name plate to be chromed as the one in the picture is (only change the cream infill colour for blue to match the bus colour) and chrome strip around the headlights (as with the Flxible Landcruiser in the picture at the bottom). Together with Chrome bumpers, wiper arms and rear mirrors, it should look OK:thumb:

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just looking at options for the Flxible project at the moment. I think the aircon unit on the roof spoils the whole look of the vehicle! Does anyone know where I can source a slimline roof mounted aircon unit from?

No room inside the vehicle for the unit and I'd like to keep aircon as we plan on doing a road trip across the USA when it's fully restored to get it over to the East Coast for shipping to the UK.

Broken Link Removed

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just come across this post, thank you for taking the time to put it on here and sharing , absoulutly fascinating will follow with interest.

OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
The work continues!!!

I'm having every bit of old, minor dent repair replaced if the previous jobs don't come up to the standard of the restoration shop I'm using. They have found some Bondo repairs so they are being cut out and replaced with proper metal:thumb:

The bus has already had a bare metal sand blasting and they are now putting on the first coat of primer (rather them than me, looks like far too much work::bigsmile:)

I'll keep you guys updated as the jobs are ticked off!

Attachments

• flxible rust1.jpg
    flxible rust1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 76
  • flxible rust2.jpg
    flxible rust2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 74
  • flxible rust3.jpg
    flxible rust3.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 76
  • flxible rust4.jpg
    flxible rust4.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 75
  • flxible rust5.jpg
    flxible rust5.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Some more images:Smile:

Attachments

• flxible rust6.jpg
    flxible rust6.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 78
  • flxible rust7.jpg
    flxible rust7.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 75
  • flxible rust9.jpg
    flxible rust9.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 72
  • flxible rust8.jpg
    flxible rust8.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 71
  • flxible rust10.jpg
    flxible rust10.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
And a few more:RollEyes:

Attachments

• flxible rust11.jpg
    flxible rust11.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 66
  • flxible rust12.jpg
    flxible rust12.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 65
  • flxible rust13.jpg
    flxible rust13.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 64
  • flxible rust14.jpg
    flxible rust14.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 68
  • flxible rust15.jpg
    flxible rust15.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
K

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
And the last one, I promise::bigsmile:

Attachments

• flxible rust16.jpg
    flxible rust16.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 75

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Fantastic progress!! That's going to be a smashing vehicle when it's converted and love your plans for the interior. Looking forward to your next post/pics :)
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back