Gas-it Refillable LPG installation (1 Viewer)

canorman

Free Member
Oct 19, 2011
World (from East Sussex)
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER 2 berth
Exp
Set off Newhaven - Dieppe 26/9/2013
Hi All, considering installing a twin 6kg Gas-it refillable vertical cylinder kit in the gas locker of my 2002 Auto-sleeper Lancaster. Mainly 'cos I've left it too late to find anyone who can do it for me before 24 September. Spoken to Gas-it's technical people who say it is simple for any reasonably competent 'spanner-man'. Anyone else done-it-themselves? Their website doesn't give great explanation about the other bits and pieces that are "suggested" along with the twin 6kg kit -- I don't know if some are must haves.

This is what comes in the kit:
2 x GAS IT 6kg Red Refillable gas bottles with Level Indicators
1 x 1 mtr GAS IT JIC Fast Fill OEM specification E67.01 fill hose from bottle to fillpoint ( other lengths available)
1 x GAS IT JIC Fast Fill OEM specification E67.01 fill hose - bottle to bottle fill pipe
1 x JIC MxMxF JIC 'T' Piece - connects bottle to bottle fill pipe together
1 x UK Bayonet brass fillpoint and 70mm GAS IT Fillpoint housing and lid
1 x GAS IT Fillpoint box protector and Leisure gas system identifier for side of vehicle
1 x GAS IT MOT Specification Gas leak detection spray - for your peace of mind and safe, confirmed leak free pipe joins.
It is also available with an in locker fill point -- which is recommended?

This is what are suggested as extras:

Gas out Automatic changeover valve with 2 Pigtails: (+£37.38)
70mm FILL BOX COLOUR: White (+£9.95)
2 for 1 GAS IT Vapour Filter: (+£29.99)
FRENCH/ITALIAN & ACME EURO FILL KIT -(£11.50)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Filler outside locker - or they might not turn the pump on at the filling station, thinking you are filling a standard tank.

Auto change over is a bit daft, you can run out of gas not knowing it changed over.

Yo will need alternative adaptors if going abroad.

Gaslow is an easy DIY, no reason this will not be.

Go on the gaslow site and download their fixing instructions.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi All, considering installing a twin 6kg Gas-it refillable vertical cylinder kit in the gas locker of my 2002 Auto-sleeper Lancaster. Mainly 'cos I've left it too late to find anyone who can do it for me before 24 September. Spoken to Gas-it's technical people who say it is simple for any reasonably competent 'spanner-man'. Anyone else done-it-themselves? Their website doesn't give great explanation about the other bits and pieces that are "suggested" along with the twin 6kg kit -- I don't know if some are must haves.

This is what comes in the kit:
2 x GAS IT 6kg Red Refillable gas bottles with Level Indicators
1 x 1 mtr GAS IT JIC Fast Fill OEM specification E67.01 fill hose from bottle to fillpoint ( other lengths available)
1 x GAS IT JIC Fast Fill OEM specification E67.01 fill hose - bottle to bottle fill pipe
1 x JIC MxMxF JIC 'T' Piece - connects bottle to bottle fill pipe together
1 x UK Bayonet brass fillpoint and 70mm GAS IT Fillpoint housing and lid
1 x GAS IT Fillpoint box protector and Leisure gas system identifier for side of vehicle
1 x GAS IT MOT Specification Gas leak detection spray - for your peace of mind and safe, confirmed leak free pipe joins.
It is also available with an in locker fill point -- which is recommended?

This is what are suggested as extras:

Gas out Automatic changeover valve with 2 Pigtails: (+£37.38)
70mm FILL BOX COLOUR: White (+£9.95)
2 for 1 GAS IT Vapour Filter: (+£29.99)
FRENCH/ITALIAN & ACME EURO FILL KIT -(£11.50)

If you can fit a 13kg cylinder instead of 2x6kg, you might have room left over in the locker. There's not so much advantage to having two bottles when you can just refill it long before it is empty.

I don't see any regulator in the mix. Is there a compatible one already plumbed in?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
do you own a spanner and actually now how to use it, do you have a screwfix by you and have you used it, if you can answer yes to both of these then you van fit yourself a gas it system. just mock it up on the floor before you start, and then your good to go.

The guys at gasi it are very helpful

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Gasit installatio

Dead easy - even for an incompetent like me! Just make certain that everthing fits 'cos those hoses are stiff to bend around corners and check very carefully for leaks after the first fill as the joints you thought were tight seem to loosen slightly with the cold of the pressurised gas. I have had no problems being stopped filling with my fill point inside the gas locker - in fact, in Spain, they did it for me when I struggled with the fitting!

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Colin has just fitted the Gas-it system in our van. Only we went for the 11kg 4 hole bottle. We a keeping one of our 6kg Calorlites for the BBQ and emergency back up, this means we will have more room in our very small garage/ski locker, as that's were the BBQ cyclinder used to live.

If you need any reassurance or help, send us your phone number by PM, I am sure Colin will be able to help you. He said it was very easy to fit.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is very easy to fit a refillable cylinder system. We've had one since 2009 and it is now in our 3rd motorhome. We have a single 11kg Gaslow (same as Gasit) bottle in our locker which is only supposed to take 2 x Calor 7kg cylinders - as we already had the 11kg Gaslow bottle I was determined to get it in there as I didn't want to spend unnecessarily on 2 smaller Gaslow bottles for the sake of it, plus we now have some useful extra storage space in the locker for hose pipe and bits (ensuring any leaking gas can easily still escape through the drop vents without hindrance. Note that I had to remove the outer door aperture plastic trim and 'adjust' the width of the bottom ring on the cylinder using a lump hammer to make it fractionally narrower to get it in the opening though!

As an aside, I've recently been looking at my costings/usage since we bought the system originally which I've posted on another forum and have copied below in case others find it of interest:

We have had a refillable Gaslow 11kg cylinder since June 2009 and would not go back to standard exchange ones now.

The benefits:
- Ability to top it up in all countries
- Is cheaper than using exchange cylinders
- We don't have to hump around/connect/disconnect cylinders
- Have gained some extra storage space as I managed to 'squeeze' in a 11kg Gaslow bottle where 2 x 7kg Calor (or 2 x 6kg Gaslow) ones were only supposed fit leaving space to accommodate our hose pipe/water fill bits and pieces, in the locker too (still allowing clear space for any leaking gas to escape safely through the drop vents I hasten to add!)
- Can easily be transferred to another vehicle (we've had it in 3 different ones now!).
- Don't have the extra weight of carrying 2 cylinders - a consideration if your van has a low payload.

The drawbacks:
- Initial cost of the refillable bottle, pipes, connectors etc
- People may be 'frightened' at the thought of having to do the filling!
- A few people say they have 'heard' that some garages refuse to allow them to be refilled (but we've never had that problem at all!)

I've kept records or refills from day one and based on our usage to date it works out as follows:

No of litres of gas purchased over whole period = 195

Gaslow:

Cost of 11kg single bottle Gaslow system including all fittings and 3 types of connectors - £240

Calor:

With Calor exchange cylinders we would have had a mix of 13kg and 6kg cylinders as follows (to take account of the fact that our current van would only take the more expensive 6kg containers):

£166 13kg cylinder (119 litres in total)
£180 6kg cylinder (76 litres in total)
£346 Estimated total cost of Calor gas
+£58 cost of Calor empty cylinders (rental agreement)
£404 Total cost of Calor gas and cylinders:

Note that this doesn't allow for the 'wasted' gas that there would have been due to having to exchange some cylinders that were not empty.

So, overall:

£404 Total Calor cost of cylinders £58 plus exchanges at £346
£380 Total Gaslow cost (£240 plus the gas cost of £140)
=£24 Saving over Calor

One other thing that comes to mind, too, is that when exchanging a Calor cylinder you are 'giving back' some gas in the bottom of the cylinder which you've paid for as it won't be 'usable' - even if you utilise as much as possible at some point it will get too low and cease to 'gas' any more.

However, with a refillable cylinder as you don't keep replacing this 'bottom' gas because you just top it up all the time, so this will also affect the calculation - I can't work out the actual cost though as I am not sure what amount of unusable gas would normally be left in the Calor cylinder, but obviously this would increase the savings made by using a Gaslow system but to what extent I don't know.

I think that all makes sense! Sometimes keeping records and using spreadsheets can be useful!

Attachments

• 16 - Gas locker.JPG
    16 - Gas locker.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 48

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You are quite right in selecting the 6kg size option as the Lancashire/Nuevo of that period wont take the larger 11kg GasIt option.
Many owners have fitted the 90 deg fill point on a bracket in the locker (as I did on my Windsor) This avoids the need to start drilling the body. If you do a search for the subject on the Auto Sleepers Owners forum posted by Murph I am sure there are some photos of his single installation on his Lancashire and many other Lancashire tips as well

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I looked at this late last year and infact watched a system being installed in a M/H just before the New Year. We decided not to go ahead as circumstances overtook our plans.

We then went to Spain for 3 months and discovered quite a few M/H's, both UK and European, were having to pack up and travel many miles to get a refill.

1 Dutch couple in a large Burstener did a journey of over 150 miles (75 there and 75 back) just to get a refill.

Spain is very short on LPG refill sites and therefore when you run out refilling can prove awkward.

I took an additional 6Kg calor bottle with me so I had 3 when the tour started, came back with 1 full bottle, 1 empty bottle and 1 in use.

Used sites where possible with included electric so did water heating that way, reducing our gas consumption.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Our Autosleeper Hampshire gas locker is so tight you cannot get a 11k gas bottle in so we had 1 x6k Gaslow bottle and carry a small dumpy as well as a back up.
We were frightened of fitting it ourselves but after paying £80 just to have it fitted, we supplied the bottles and fittings, we thought how easy it all looked and should have saved the £80 done it ourselves.
At least than we have room to get either a French or Spanish bottle and avoid going miles out of our way for a fill up as said in a previous post.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Whilst I agree with you about the Gas Point for BBQ's mounted on the M/H

By having a seperate 6Kg you can use the BBQ away from the vehicle, thats what we do.

Good point. Fitting the BBQ point let me put the BBQ where it's cylinder used to be in the gas locker so works very well for us.

In the UK, France, Germany, Italy there really is no need for a spare.

Spain - maybe. A UK spare is a waste of space, you can't refill it. So get one locally ( with difficulty ).

Morocco. Looks like a local cylinder is the way to go and then the BBQ goes in a locker.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
brian you can fill uk bottles . didnt you know that . they fill them in many places . maroc portugal even spain . sometimes .

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
hi i fitted the gaslow system in my van very easy to fit but just as previous poster rut check fighting's after first fill and you will be OK
bill:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in most countries if you visit gas works they do it for you .
have heard its not happening in agadir .yet some did get theirs filled by using a local as an agent . portugal as loads of places . spain only a few main gas works that will . but its so easy to get local bottles .
plus the best way to save electric isnt having led lights etc its having gas lights . best thing you can have i reckon .
in uk i use flogas bottles .a 19kg is about 28quid . and no deposit . if i filled up there at 69p would only save 2 quid so having a bottle isnt a problem . in spain a spanish bottle is much cheaper . i came home last year with half a uk bottle and just swapped the spanish . its cheaper in spain to exchange than have autogas . one spanish saw me through portugal.
cant see the reason to spend a fortune on bottles .

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what many people fail to think about is.... if you fit a bbq point it will allow you to make up a hose and regulator to suit a foreign bottle and FEED it IN to the van.

bbq points dont have a one way valve so the external bottle and regulator will run your appliances. its a very simple way of getting over the problem of not being able to refill or exchange uk cylinders. the hose, connector and foreign regulator take up little room to carry in case you need it. just pick up your foreign cylinder and regulator if you dont carry that type from the local supermarket etc, depending on country youre visiting:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
what many people fail to think about is.... if you fit a bbq point it will allow you to make up a hose and regulator to suit a foreign bottle and FEED it IN to the van.

bbq points dont have a one way valve so the external bottle and regulator will run your appliances. its a very simple way of getting over the problem of not being able to refill or exchange uk cylinders. the hose, connector and foreign regulator take up little room to carry in case you need it. just pick up your foreign cylinder and regulator if you dont carry that type from the local supermarket etc, depending on country youre visiting:thumb:

The other alternative is to have an LPG converted RV with a mahoosive habitation gas tank. This is always full because it tops up every time you fill up the tank for driving. Even if you go somewhere without LPG and have to drive on petrol, the habitation tank is so large, it would last two months unless you are using heating. Most motorhomes could find somewhere for a 20 or 30kg habitation fixed tank and they aren't that expensive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back