I hate flying! (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I am now all packed and waiting to go up to Theifrow to fly to Uzbekistan for a Silk Route tour. Am I excited? Am I heck! A 2 hour train journey, a 1 hour coach journey to check in 3 hours before flying, queuing to be searched, walking miles, sitting for 10 hours in a cramped stuffy metal cylinder to be crumpled up and discharged to officialdom when exhausted. Oh yes, and who can sleep on a plane?
Now, I have a comfortable motorhome sitting on the drive with all the comforts of home, no baggage restrictions ........You know what I mean!
Why did I agree???? I think not again........

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Know the feeling well.

I used to fly regularly between the UK and Australia. Five times in one year. And all on economy tickets.

To make things easier, I used to book exit or bulkhead seats to get decent legroom. I then drank a glass or two of white wine with my meal as it always makes me sleepy. Then I put those eye mask things on and cover myself from shoulders downwards in a blanket and try to doze. I often did 11 hour flights that way with no need for using the in-flight entertainment.

Well, it worked for me.

My biggest problem is turbulence. Scares me witless.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't think I have been in a plane since we got our motorhome in 2008.

Can't say I have missed the queuing and faffing around.

Hope you enjoy your trip though when you get there:thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Nobody is forcing you to fly, are they?

It's your own decision and therefore your own fault

No sympathy

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I don't think I have been in a plane since we got our motorhome in 2008.

Can't say I have missed the queuing and faffing around.

Hope you enjoy your trip though when you get there:thumb:

We had to fly when we went to USA in 2005, none of my maps showed a road crossing!
But I agree, travelling in your own MH is far more relaxing
Allan

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I too find it difficult to sleep on a plane, the way round it for me is a couple of glasses of wine, put on the eye pads then wear some noise cancelling headphones. I invested in a really expensive pair and they have been worth it. Hope you enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
DiggerJon
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Necessary evil!

Nobody is forcing you to fly, are they?

It's your own decision and therefore your own fault

No sympathy

I hate going to the dentist too! I regard flying as a necessary evil to go to places I want to see whilst I can. Now my "bucket list" is very short, it will probably exclude flying ever again! I didn't ask for sympathy, maybe just a bit of empathy.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Flew last time 3 years ago .
From Spain into Bristol, all 5 of us felt sick,
So queuing up in the middle of the night in wet Bristol for passport control holding x2 sick kids throwing up all over the floor--I asked a green coat official if we could either go to a different queue or up to the front.
She just looked at me like dirt and walked past.

So , here's me holding x2 kids screaming /throwing up /tired/ wet/ people moaning about sick all over the floor around us/ I stood there and shouted aloud-

"I WILL NEVER EVER FLY ON A F*&^%G AIROPLANE AGAIN EVER"

And I never will, I would sooner drive or ride my bike--
Why fly over 1000`s of miles at 500mph of interesting places to arrive at some boring , overpriced , hot, tourist hell hole --
it`s the journey there that matter`s, not what`s at the end.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having travelled many thousands of miles in an aeroplane and even got off a few whilst moving I will only travel on one now if its an absolute must. I love flying, its all the messing about at each end that bothers me and why do I always get stuck next to someone with a cold or steaming drunk. The tables wont even come down far enough to put my coffee on now :Doh:.

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
Flying

A man was cleaning out his loft when he found an old lamp. He rubbed it and out came a genie. He was told he could have 3 wishes. First the usual one. A million pounds. Then he said I have to go to America, and I hate flying, scared of ships in case they sink. So please build me a bridge, phew said the genie that's hard. Not sure i can do that. Not sure any genie could,, ,, ,, while I have a think let me know your 3rd wish, , please explain to me the workings of a women's mind, , , , , the genie said,, WOULD YOU LIKE LIGHTS AND A REST AREA ON THIS BRIDGE....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Having travelled many thousands of miles in an aeroplane and even got off a few whilst moving I will only travel on one now if its an absolute must. I love flying, its all the messing about at each end that bothers me and why do I always get stuck next to someone with a cold or steaming drunk. [HI]The tables wont even come down far enough to put my coffee on now[/HI] :Doh:.

Yes same problem, my belly gets in the way as well:ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A man was cleaning out his loft when he found an old lamp. He rubbed it and out came a genie. He was told he could have 3 wishes. First the usual one. A million pounds. Then he said I have to go to America, and I hate flying, scared of ships in case they sink. So please build me a bridge, phew said the genie that's hard. Not sure i can do that. Not sure any genie could,, ,, ,, while I have a think let me know your 3rd wish, , please explain to me the workings of a women's mind, , , , , the genie said,, WOULD YOU LIKE LIGHTS AND A REST AREA ON THIS BRIDGE....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not forgetting extra long, extra wide parking bays to facilitate parallel parking :winky:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Flew last time 3 years ago .
From Spain into Bristol, all 5 of us felt sick,
So queuing up in the middle of the night in wet Bristol for passport control holding x2 sick kids throwing up all over the floor--I asked a green coat official if we could either go to a different queue or up to the front.
She just looked at me like dirt and walked past.

So , here's me holding x2 kids screaming /throwing up /tired/ wet/ people moaning about sick all over the floor around us/ I stood there and shouted aloud-

"I WILL NEVER EVER FLY ON A F*&^%G AIROPLANE AGAIN EVER"

And I never will, I would sooner drive or ride my bike--
Why fly over 1000`s of miles at 500mph of interesting places to arrive at some boring , overpriced , hot, tourist hell hole --
it`s the journey there that matter`s, not what`s at the end.

Love it:ROFLMAO:

I had a similar experience when my daughter was about 18 months. She was teething and screamed all the way from Gatwick to Newquay, screamed the whole time at Newquay airport waiting for a flight to the Scilly Islands and then began puking everywhere.

The number of people who gave us dirty looks:whatthe:

A few Kiss my Ar$e's were muttered less than quietly:thumb:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi Digger
We did the Silk route tour in 2011 with Odyssey Overland it was six months started in London and finished in Darwin australia . Spent three weeks in Uzbekistan great experience you can read our blog if you google " Overland Cruising " my user name is palaceboy and its under travellerspoint.
If you need any advice on anything let me know

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Just reread your first post your travel scenario sounds luxurious to some of the travel conditions on the Silk Route.You will enjoy the border crossings no end :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Digger
We did the Silk route tour in 2011 with Odyssey Overland it was six months started in London and finished in Darwin australia . Spent three weeks in Uzbekistan great experience you can read our blog if you google " Overland Cruising " my user name is palaceboy and its under travellerspoint.

That is some road trip :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Flying is Ace! Absolutely love it - instantly revert to a 5 year old!

You usually get turbulence over the mountains this time of year as the seasons change, can be a bit rough on the wrong day - but you'll be fine! It is the technology that makes it feel rougher than it is, as the autopilot doesn't understand and reacts in milliseconds, making for a good old bone shaking.

You only need to worry when the hostesses start to worry - and that has only happened once when flying - we all landed safely. Flying is excellent! :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I accept I am strange.

I LOVE flying, especially long haul.

I sit there being waited on, completely separated from the chores I should be doing, and enjoy thinking about the good times I am going to have when I get there.

I remove most of the cause of stress by allowing over double the time needed for check in and security screening etc.

Next nearly planned flight is to London for a big convention in November.

Obviously I would prefer to do the trip by motorhome but I can't justify the expense of that method.

JJ :Cool:

PS. I LOVE going to huge supermarkets too.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Digger

WOW:Eeek: that is one hell of a trip...now added to my wish list::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I accept I am strange.

I LOVE flying, especially long haul.

I sit there being waited on, completely separated from the chores I should be doing, and enjoy thinking about the good times I am going to have when I get there.

I remove most of the cause of stress by allowing over double the time needed for check in and security screening etc.

Next nearly planned flight is to London for a big convention in November.

Obviously I would prefer to do the trip by motorhome but I can't justify the expense of that method.

JJ :Cool:

[HI]
PS. I LOVE going to huge supermarkets too.

[/HI]

Now, that is strange::bigsmile:

OP
OP
DiggerJon
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Silk route tour

Looks like quite an adventure! Thanks for the link and I'll follow it up.
DiggerJon

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
[/HI]

Now, that is strange::bigsmile:[/FONT][/SIZE]

Not if you understand JJ!..........Bigger supermarkets, More stock of Fray Bentos - usually on offer. Makes perfect sense!

He buys them, so we don't have to!:thumb:

I'm happier with the other halfs' pies - both Northern and Southern versions.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We planned our Overland trip to Oz three years ago on a winter campsite in Spain as we too didn,t want to fly . We found a russian freighter that would take passengers it had 3 cabins and silver service dining with the captain ( the price quoted was £20k for 2 ) a tad to expensive for us so we opted for the overland route which cost about £12k for 2 but does not include any airfares if you are coming home .
We did not see any motorhomes after Georgia unless they were heavy duty i think most uk/euro models would have been shaken to pieces very quickly . Border crossings were very time consuming and diplomatic reasoning very important plus the odd bribes

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I haven't flown for 9 years, and didn't fly anywhere until my forties. The last time we flew was coming back from Florida in the aftermath of a hurricane - needless to say the whole 48 hour experience was chaotic from start to finish. The only thing that would induce me to fly again would be if one of our offspring lived overseas.

I'd rather spend three days driving to Italy than three hours flying there.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Several years ago when most airlines had banned smoking on flights, Royal Air Maroc affectionately known as Couscous airlines still allowed smoking in flight. All smokers used to book with RAM. Can you imagine being on a plane where EVERY passenger was smoking.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
What with that and the comment on amytwowheels dog thread someone's not out to win friends and influence people! :Blush:

You don't put a thread heading saying "I Hate Flying" and then write about how you dislike flying and all that entails,

If you "hate" flying you wouldn't do it.

I notice from several posts that there are people who don't like flying and have made alternative overland journey arrangements.

I stand by my principle but my words may have been harsh.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back