15 years of restoration destroyed in fire (1 Viewer)

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi there Funsters,

We had a big fire near to Devizes which resulted in several storage units being destroyed.

The fire was just over the road from the Devizes C&CC site, a local family man stored his cars in one of these units and he lost everything, 2 Peugeot cars, 1 Delica 4 x 4 and all his tools etc. As he used this unit for just storage he could not afford the Insurance premiums he was quoted, over £200 per month.

To see some pictures of the damage go to this link:

Link Removed

The 2 Peugeot cars were quite rare and he planned to sell them soon to get money for his family to ensure their future would be financially secure, they have a baby due in December.

The fire did not start in his unit or the adjoining one but is believed that sparks from a local bonfire may have set fire to a Reliant Scimitar which was parked nearby and then spread in the units.

A fund has been set up at:

www.fundrazr.com/campaigns/bb1N7

If you could give something, even a £1, I would help this young family get back on their feet, as you can imagine they are really depressed by what has happened. Payments can be made via Paypal.

I thank you in advance for any contributions Funsters may make:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Just because he did not have any insurance himself does not stop him claiming off

a) the renaults insurer

b) the insurance on the property where the fire started

c) the insurance on the adjacent properties to his

It will be a long hard slog, but he should (provided the other properties mentioned were insured) be able to make a valid claim and get compensation

He needs to make several claims at once, and advise each of the insurance companies that he is making multiple claims, not to triple his money but to ensure that he is paid out once.

The original property should be liable, but adjacent properties can also be liable for allowing fire to spread

hope that is helpful

Communities are brilliant in such instances, relatives of ours had their house along with 5 others burnt down and the community rallied fantastically for all those uninsured.

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Thank you for your answer and advice, I would appreciate if this thread could not become a debate on Insurance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Thank you for your answer and advice, I would appreciate if this thread could not become a debate on Insurance.

What I posted was not for a debate on insurance, it was meant as sensible advice from family experience where everyone passes the buck until those affected fight hard enough to get someone to cough up and that doesnt always happen.

Good luck with the fundraising

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I did not mean to insult you and I thank you for your useful comments,

He is looking at all the options and as you say, has met with a negative response from everyone, "nothing to do with me attitude".

The fund has been set up to get him some immediate funds.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
no insult taken and only further posted to clarify :thumb::thumb::thumb:

The usual "no one is responsible attitude is quite normal, as in my previous post "everyone passing the buck" - quite normal but unacceptable in human terms to me.

He needs to get his MP councillors etc stating how outrageous and unfair the insurances are being and fighting his corner too. somewhere along the line one of the insurers will be made to take responsibility. He can also contact the Insurance ombudsman should he have moved nowhere forward in a few months time.

I dont envy what he will go through over the months ahead and it will only be with fight after fight and severe perseverance that hopefully some insurance company will eventually pay up. Unfortunately that doesnt always happen.

Good luck with it xxxxx

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Don't hold out much luck getting anything off the insurers. Ralph's lock up containing all his equipment he wasn't using at the time on a job. Including cement mixers , mini digger , wheelbarrows , scaffolding trailers , electric tools like breakers , drills so on and so on. Plus kids bikes our bikes lots of things from our garage , such as camping stuff , winter tyres , aqua rolls etc etc , which we were re building , got burnt to the ground. Just one big molten mess.
Not our fault. Started 3 containers away. Some scum bag messing about outside a container setting random fires.
Fortunately although the insurance was sky high we had paid it , and had paid it for over 10 years, at that place . The insurers still tried to get out of it saying that it wasn't registered at our business address. Which is our house. We got paid out . Eventually . Fortunately Ralph's very good at keeping receipts for everything , as he knows people who have been stung before. We got what we put in , back. But months down the line , we say sh!t it must have been in the lock up !
But several other container owners didn't as they too were un insured. One young lad , a joiner with a young family lost all his tools .
Good luck to them , I think they will need it. Not just with the insurers but the collection too.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
very sad to read about their loss of all that work, but £20,000 worth of cars and tools should of been insured. if they had so much debt they mention elsewhere, they should of sold the cars before

its little use setting up a begging website and having it mentioned on forums and in the media. not everyone will believe the story and i cant see too many people with spare cash in tough times to give to a stranger

sorry if you think this post harsh, i am just voicing an opinion others had when i mentioned this story to them

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
very sad to read about their loss of all that work, but £20,000 worth of cars and tools should of been insured. if they had so much debt they mention elsewhere, they should of sold the cars before

its little use setting up a begging website and having it mentioned on forums and in the media. not everyone will believe the story and i cant see too many people with spare cash in tough times to give to a stranger

sorry if you think this post harsh, i am just voicing an opinion others had when i mentioned this story to them

Can you pm me please

OP
OP
E

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005

Thank you for your post and I do not think it is harsh but is realistic.

In the current financial climate I realise that money is tight and being asked to give money to a complete stranger is tough.

Regarding the Insurance, Hindsight is a wonderful thing and he only wishes he had insured the cars etc.

We have received donations from a range of people ranging from family members to the members of a Youth Organisation who donated half their nights subs. (£6). We have also received offers of old tools to help replace those lost in the fire.

I understand that many will think this is a scam, but I can assure you it is not. A report should appear in the Local weekly newspaper today and once the report is on line I will put a link.

In the meantime I thank everyone who has donated, given advice and offered support in various forms.

Thank you everyone

In the meantime, thank you

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I always thought of myself as the average caring sort, helping where and when I can But this appeal leaves me cold.

Emotive terms like kids suffering or disappointed, help the family get back on their feet dont belong in this story at all.
I presume they have their health and home
This guy has lost his hobby thats all:RollEyes:

I have nothing nice or constructive to say, so better say no more

Except my Gerabox repair cost a few bob and it wasn't insured help me back on my feet funsters you know you want to

Harsh ? I hope so:Angry:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
fire

i have nothing to say really about this thread,expect to say that i totally agree with george and it makes me angry:Angry:
brian

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I always thought of myself as the average caring sort, helping where and when I can But this appeal leaves me cold.

Emotive terms like kids suffering or disappointed, help the family get back on their feet dont belong in this story at all.
I presume they have their health and home
This guy has lost his hobby thats all:RollEyes:

I have nothing nice or constructive to say, so better say no more

Except my Gerabox repair cost a few bob and it wasn't insured help me back on my feet funsters you know you want to

Harsh ? I hope so:Angry:

Got to agree with you Geo, especially after reading the paper clipping, it does appear the guy has lost his hobby, it's not a life changing event, at least he has an outside chance of getting someone's insurance to cough, so many worthy causes pulling at my limited income, I'm afraid this isn't one of them.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
IMO if he could afford to keep the cars he could afford insurance.

I wont be sending any money

Like they say on a well known tv show i'm out.

Mel

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
I'm not an uncaring person but I have to admit, I agree with the majority posting here.

There are plenty of people who own far less in the first place, let alone lose it then have no means of recourse through a lack of precautionary measures (for financial reasons) on their own part.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I fell this post was well intended but has been taken in the wrong way this post was Frome watt I see as a genuine well intending caring person but wasn’t though out properly I do hope that some on her see it for watt it was a genuine good intended action to help a Nabor
I do think now that this post should just be allowed to dye now
Bill :Sad:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Why should it Bill.

If people want to express there view without being nasty thats what this forum is for.

IMO it was a request for money for a man with £20,000 worth of old cars that he did not bother to insure.

If you had third party only and had an accident your fault and could not aford to do the repairs.

Whould you expect funsters to replace you motorhome?

I dont think so IMO

Mel

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Why should it Bill.

If people want to express there view without being nasty thats what this forum is for.

IMO it was a request for money for a man with £20,000 worth of old cars that he did not bother to insure.

If you had third party only and had an accident your fault and could not aford to do the repairs.

Whould you expect funsters to replace you motorhome?

I dont think so IMO

Mel
i think your right but probibly now my post will be taken in the wrong way now:Sad:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have to admit I think this is a bit bizzare, I thought this type of appeal was for instance for very poor people who could not afford insurance and were flooded out:rain:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
No Bill I dont think it will because you have your opinion and most people on here respect you and your view including me.

But we are all different and I realy feel for this man he must feel like S___.

I hope he gets paid out by someones insurance .

But he could have sold one car and insured the rest.

Mel

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Much more concerning is the headline that a Devizes man is up in court for 'sex with a goat' he clearly needs a help fund for psychotherapy. ....or maybe thats a common pastime in those parts?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: this just cracked me up! :ROFLMAO: still giggling now ::bigsmile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Much more concerning is the headline that a Devizes man is up in court for 'sex with a goat' he clearly needs a help fund for psychotherapy. ....or maybe thats a common pastime in those parts?

Sex with a Goat? Are you Kidding:ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I just know this is going to get me some enemies but I have to say he does not deserve to be given money just because he was stupid enough to think he did not need insurance to cover him, he took the risk knowing full well he could loose everything but decided insurance was not worth it.I wonder if he still feels the same about insurance now,I cannot believe people would send money to him for his stupidity.Just my honest opinion at least I said what I really thought.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
"As a thank you to Great Western Hospital ambulance service, A and E department, beech ward midwife and ENT consultant for their amazing service to my pregnant partner on Saturday night we will also be donating a percentage raised to their Brighter Futures charity"

he is planning on how to spend your money already :Angry:

so send me some money for my stupidity as I can afford to give some of it away:Doh:

help get this young family back on their feet! To the OP I think you posted this with the best intentions without thinking this through

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back