Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Are these Chinese units any good or can anyone recommend a better unit (. But still cheap) My Garmin Nuvi just leaves me so frustrated every time I use it in France. It always takes us on narrow C roads no matter what it is set at, and last week, trying to get to an aire ( St Valery sur Somme ) it insisted on taking me the wrong way down one way streets, which is not fun after a 250 mile drive at midnight!
Mrs A now insists we don't use it and has taken on the role of Navigator, which is interesting and most certainly does not result in arguments over which was the right turn to take a few miles back.....
If these units have a bus or truck setting, it might be more usefull
Allan

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I had one (Masaie store I think) it was a load of crap. First one was faulty so they eventually sent me a replacement chip which had the same fault, they then sent me a replacement unit and that one failed within a month, did get a full refund. Wouldn't waste my money if I were you. Can't understand your Garmin I use mine all over the world and very rarely have a problem.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
All sat nav units depend upon the base mapping. If the base mapping doesn't include road widths and the software doesn't avoid certain road classifications (whether they are narrow or not) then there is a risk of being routed down narrow roads.

We bought a TomTom Go Live 820 earlier this year (on offer in Currys at the time) to replace a Garmin Nuvi but the main reason was better POI display. Both devices were/are used in conjunction with a Truckers Atlas (Jill drives and I navigate) plus some forward planning to avoid unsuitable routes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have just bought a Garmin Dezl 560 which is designed as a truck / RV SatNav and I have created a profile with length, width, height, MAM and max axle weight. It replaced a Nüvi 250 which was 6 years old. Based on 4 weeks in Holland and Belgium recently, the Dezl is in a different league. However, as Graham says, if the maps database does not contain the requisite information, no SatNav will be able to avoid narrow roads. The available road data is much better now than when we bought the Nüvi and is getting better all the time. At least the Dezl tells me when it has no relevant truck data for the road we are on - caveat navigatio.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
My Garmin Nuvi just leaves me so frustrated every time I use it in France. It always takes us on narrow C roads no matter what it is set at
Allan

So does my Garmin Nuvi :(

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just search sat navs on this site, there's quite a few posts on Chinese Sat Navs:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Just returned from the USA where I used Co-pilot live the paid for version (£6.99). I have to say it was absolutely ACE.....

So much so that I am getting the Co pilot all of Europe and I mean all of Europe for £19.99. Loads of ways to change things like roads etc.... Doesn't use any data.

The way forward is definitely the smart phone with mapping, designated units are gonna be a thing for history. :Cool:

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
All sat nav units depend upon the base mapping. If the base mapping doesn't include road widths and the software doesn't avoid certain road classifications (whether they are narrow or not) then there is a risk of being routed down narrow roads........

Seems whatever I set it on, it looks for the narrowest possible road!
It has the latest mapping installed and latest firmware. I just don't think it's very user friendly. I have always been a Garmin fan, well before they produced automotive units, I've tried Tom Tom's too and never been happy with them.
Being able to input vehicle sizes and exclude certain roads seems a great idea, maybe a Dezi is the way to go. All I want to do usually use main roads, I generally have Toll Roads and Motorways in the avoid list but there is nothing to help avoid the smaller ones
Also ( and this was my fault because I didn't tick the appropriate avoidance) whilst on our way to an aire in Normandy, the sat nav told me, with just over 1 km to go, "turn right in 900 metres and board the ferry"!
Allan

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Just returned from the USA where I used Co-pilot live the paid for version (£6.99). I have to say it was absolutely ACE.....

So much so that I am getting the Co pilot all of Europe and I mean all of Europe for £19.99. Loads of ways to change things like roads etc.... Doesn't use any data.

The way forward is definitely the smart phone with mapping, designated units are gonna be a thing for history. :Cool:

Where can you get this for under £20? Only one I could find is £34.99!
Allan

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
We bought the chinese sat nav, the one that is suited for the bigger MH, as we are 34' long we needed better than what we had before. Have to say it is great, no issues with narrow roads, low bridges, weight limits etc especially when we are following manda3000gt :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back