Scotland (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Here's a thought looking through all the threads the amount of shows and meet ups are dominated down south.The only one i know in gods country is the Highland meet at Inverness .When you consider the places and history of where I live is there a mood to create a Scottish event any thoughts

Bill

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Here's a thought looking through all the threads the amount of shows and meet ups are dominated down south.The only one i know in gods country is the Highland meet at Inverness .When you consider the places and history of where I live is there a mood to create a Scottish event any thoughts

Bill

Bill, you are absolutely correct, when you think of the sheer amount of Motorhomes touring Scotland at any one time, its obvious that at least North of the Border, is very, very popular and always has been,

And when you think of all the popular places up here, there must be lots that would appeal to many Funsters,

Ken
:thumb: :drink::drink:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

Bill

At the risk of being very unpopular, the only thing preventing a meet in any area in the UK is someone to organise it and the willingness of people to attend.
Having attended the mini Highland meet it was most noticeable all those present were resident in Scotland, thus showing there is interest in a Northern meet

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have often thought of trying one in Dumfries as the farm where the local rugby club play holds caravan club rallies a couple of times a year but I just don't think I would have the time to organise everything. Maybe should start with a small one of about 10 vans max and take it from there as there is loads to see and do in Dumfries.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I have often thought of trying one in Dumfries as the farm where the local rugby club play holds caravan club rallies a couple of times a year but I just don't think I would have the time to organise everything. Maybe should start with a small one of about 10 vans max and take it from there as there is loads to see and do in Dumfries.

Sounds good to us Gerry:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Spoke to a friend of mine last night. He has a CS at Sandhead, Wigtownshire, with a rally field and hosts a C&CC holiday site every summer. Said he's happy to have a meet. Pub, shop and beach 10 mins walk.

Rgds
Bill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Bill

The problem as I see it is distance and weather. Weather you know about. When the the sun shines and the midges are asleep it as good as anywhere in Europe.

Distance, for the suvvern mob, they have a choice Scotland or Switzerland and I know which is more exciting and with better weather, in my opinion.

So a great idea but don't be disappointed if you start one and it is a bit quiet.

Any thoughts on a good location ?

Lisett

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Ochiltree
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie.
Sandhead is lovely. I'd def be up for that.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
The problem as I see it is distance and weather. Weather you know about. When the the sun shines and the midges are asleep it as good as anywhere in Europe.

Distance, for the suvvern mob, they have a choice Scotland or Switzerland and I know which is more exciting and with better weather, in my opinion.

So a great idea but don't be disappointed if you start one and it is a bit quiet.

Any thoughts on a good location ?

Brian,
I am sorry to disagree with you especially as you support a permanent south facing position.
The only meets I know of outside UK are in Spain (Haven't heard of one in Switzerland) which is much further away than Scotland and far more expensive to reach. Also where did the idea come from that it always rains in Scotland and everyone is eaten alive by midges? I have read several threads of people being bitten by midges in several places on the continent!
Several million people live quite happily in Scotland never complaining about the weather or the midges. As the popular saying goes "there is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing"

If Scotland is such a long way away why do so many motorhomers tour Scotland? And why is it I only ever hear comments about how far away Scotland is from those south of the border but never hear anyone up here complain how far away England is?

Like every destination there are fors and against but I for one would support a meet held north of the border having just enjoyed my first ever meet that was north of the border. OK I live north of the border, but so do loads of others, whilst I am sure it would be good to meet up with our brothers down south there are enough Scots and northern Englanders to make a good meet it only they would get their heads out of the sand, and resist the southern brainwashing that Scotland is too far away and come.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
We tour Scotland a lot, okay, we live there but its 360 miles to Thurso (my wife's birthplace) from where we live and only 50 miles further to London.

Got back from a trip touring Scotland last week, loads of vans on the West coast and plenty more on the A9 when we came home. Less traffic overall here as well, the roads in England do my head in with the sheer volume of traffic.

When we head north I find that once past the southern end of Loch Lomond the traffic starts to disappear. You just have to bite the bullet and put a couple of hundred miles in on day one. We do go to France each year but for us it's 500 miles to Dover!

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Brian,
I am sorry to disagree with you especially as you support a permanent south facing position.
The only meets I know of outside UK are in Spain (Haven't heard of one in Switzerland) which is much further away than Scotland and far more expensive to reach. Also where did the idea come from that it always rains in Scotland and everyone is eaten alive by midges? I have read several threads of people being bitten by midges in several places on the continent!
Several million people live quite happily in Scotland never complaining about the weather or the midges. As the popular saying goes "there is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing"

If Scotland is such a long way away why do so many motorhomers tour Scotland? And why is it I only ever hear comments about how far away Scotland is from those south of the border but never hear anyone up here complain how far away England is?

Like every destination there are fors and against but I for one would support a meet held north of the border having just enjoyed my first ever meet that was north of the border. OK I live north of the border, but so do loads of others, whilst I am sure it would be good to meet up with our brothers down south there are enough Scots and northern Englanders to make a good meet it only they would get their heads out of the sand, and resist the southern brainwashing that Scotland is too far away and come.
Totally agree I have had many holidays in Scotland and England and have had good and bad weather in both country's i have also had experience of the floods down south that we in Scotland very seldom get as for midges don't go near the New Forrest as they are on steroids .Regarding a location we have a meet in Inverness and suggestions for the borders,I would also recommend more central ,ie Loch Lomond

Bill

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I was bitten by Mozzies in 6 out of the 7 countries we visited on our Euro summer tour this year.
For some reason Mozzies love me, despite my best efforts, creams, sprays, candles etc, they still got me, and some damn big bites and swellings.

As for Midgies........ pah, tour Scotland every year, never had a problem, and never had a problem as I grew up there.....

Midgies are overated in my book..........:winky:

::bigsmile:

ps; I'm up for a Scotland meet, as long as I'm not away at work.....:thumb:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Brian,
.......where did the idea come from that it always rains in Scotland and everyone is eaten alive by midges? I have read several threads of people being bitten by midges in several places on the continent!

If there are people who stay south of the border believing Scotland is always wet and plagued by midges, we should be only too happy that that is their belief!! :winky:

Last edited:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Two weeks ago we were in Orkney, last week at a wedding in Surrey, now back at a site near St Andrews.Surely the point of having a motorhome is to travel about in it! We would be up for a Scottish meet.IMO May is a great month to be on the west coast.(and all the sun seekers will be back from Spain/Morrocco by then):thumb:

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Two weeks ago we were in Orkney, last week at a wedding in Surrey, now back at a site near St Andrews.Surely the point of having a motorhome is to travel about in it! We would be up for a Scottish meet.IMO May is a great month to be on the west coast.(and all the sun seekers will be back from Spain/Morrocco by then):thumb:
Any months is a great time to be in the west coast of Scotland,I was hoping to have the meet when all the southern softies are still abroad.

Bill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian,

Guilty as charged.

Two reasons, weather and a bit more excitement getting p1ssed in a foreign land.

Correct, no meets in Switzerland, I was just showing the choice for southerners. A lot of them can be sipping wine in Paris in a couple of hours or be stuck on the M6 through Brum. From here in the NW Paris is equidistant to Aberdeen. Now if I ask "Shall we go to Paris or Aberdeen" I wonder what the reply would be ?

As a matter of interest our first big outing as MHers was Deeside and our second Paris. Both very good trips.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Too right about the mozzies, loads of them in France in June. I developed a full blown hatred of them when sailing up the Mississippi River on a tanker in the 70's. We were there nearly every week for a couple of years and no matter what we tried got eaten by them.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Guilty as charged.

Two reasons, weather and a bit more excitement getting p1ssed in a foreign land.

Correct, no meets in Switzerland, I was just showing the choice for southerners. A lot of them can be sipping wine in Paris in a couple of hours or be stuck on the M6 through Brum. From here in the NW Paris is equidistant to Aberdeen. Now if I ask "Shall we go to Paris or Aberdeen" I wonder what the reply would be ?

As a matter of interest our first big outing as MHers was Deeside and our second Paris. Both very good trips.
I did not start this thread to debate what country or location is best as I believe it's a no brainier (Scotland).The amount of pm that I have received clearly shows that there is a demand for this meet.Early next year i will take advice and any suggestions as to where and when.Brian I take it you won't be coming along but if you do we will reserve a place next to the midges

Bill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I did not start this thread to debate what country or location is best
Bill

I consider myself put in my place !

.Brian I take it you won't be coming along
Bill

Who knows, with 3 Scottish grandchildren just down the road from you, I am not a stranger to the place. But "early next year" guess which way we are heading.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I consider myself put in my place !

Who knows, with 3 Scottish grandchildren just down the road from you, I am not a stranger to the place. But "early next year" guess which way we are heading.

Switzerland? lol

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 21
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 20
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 20
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 20
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 21

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and those photos were taken in February.........:thumb:

No, but these are. Quite mild, about -4 if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• sf4.jpg
    sf4.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 11
  • sf3.jpg
    sf3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 10
  • sf5.jpg
    sf5.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 11
  • sf1.jpg
    sf1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 11
  • sf2.jpg
    sf2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Im all for it, but I know the area very well
Blair Athol is an option as they have a rally field with electric,in the castle grounds,as in my previous threads lets have suggestions ,times and places.Also we can get Skin so Soft to sponsor the event

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back