Aerial mounts needed (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi guys I want to mount a directional 3G aerial on a length of pole, so I need some mounts to screw on the side or rear of the RV. Plastic or S/S and they need to look nice. One mount needs a means of locking the pole, so I can slide the pole up when on site, or lower it for travelling, any ideas guys?

Tried googling and ebay but can't find anything suitable.

Ian

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Hi guys I want to mount a directional 3G aerial on a length of pole, so I need some mounts to screw on the side or rear of the RV. Plastic or S/S and they need to look nice. One mount needs a means of locking the pole, so I can slide the pole up when on site, or lower it for travelling, any ideas guys?

Ian

Ian have you tried searching for caravan outdoor aerial clamps? As I do not know what your aerial is like hard to suggest but found a few on google for poles
Just a thought:thumb:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
One for example Ian

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Ian.

I used these on our last eurovan.

only stuck on with the supplied pads but were a bugger to remove later.

can be fully removed if required leaving just the mounting plates.

we had a normal domestic aerial attached and it never moved once clamped...even in high winds.

worth changing the clamp bolts and wingnuts for stainless ones...they rust faster than a Austin 1100 parked on a beach

Link Removed

Last edited:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Depending on how permanent you want it to be.... but for temporary use my directional box fits nicely on normal 40mm sink waste pipe. Providing you have something for the pipe to rest on at the bottom you can then use the push-in pipe clips available from any DIY store. Poke the cable down through the middle of the pipe and it keeps it all tidy. The plastic pipe is light to carry and if you want a more permanent connection use the screw up pipe clamps instead of the clip in ones. Available up to 4m in length.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Ian

Out of interest, do you find the directional aerial effective? I've just bought a Mifi and was going to put a can or whip type omni on the roof. Am I missing a trick by not going for directional?

The problem for me is that I want it to work when travelling. I suppose I could carry a Yagi for the times that the omni isn't enough, although it will be a faff changing the aerial lead all the time.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
i bought an unlocked mifi of ebay and it came with a small omnidirectional aerial which only just enables a connection here at Strines, and then only if I put it outside on the roof. So as we will becoming here again as our youngest has moved to Manchester, I thought it would be a good idea to get something better like a directional aerial.

When I get one I will report on its performance.

Ian

GlobeStar

Free Member
Jul 23, 2012
Woodhall Spa
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2004
I used to live in my van during the week when we had a kontiki and fitted a directional aerial as you want and had a perfectly good mobile Internet signal.
I used a caravan aerial fitting like the ones below and they worked as advertised.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi eddie, yes never bother with the sat, freeview is generally good wherever we go, but sometimes you need to turn the aerial a bit, so I don't want to use it for a directional.

"I need it here for 3G, well I need it here for eastenders" :Doh: ::bigsmile:

The ideal is one that goes through the roof like those sat dish's on a pole you could buy, I could have that and the mifi in the wardrobe, just push it up, turn for the best signal, job done.::bigsmile:

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back