Not draining water tank in winter (1 Viewer)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I am intending using my motorhome this winter; as I own a N+B Arto 60 that is "winterised" all tanks are inboard. As a result I don't want to drain down my water system, so if I were to place an electric heater on a low heat would this prevent the mh freezing up?
But would placing a heater inside the mh encourage damp inside as the warmer atmosphere comes in contact with the colder walls of the mh.

Any comments appreciated

Norman

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I never drained down my FFB or my RMB. They are properly winterised. I put a fan heater inside the van set on the frost setting which only comes on when the temp drops below freezing. All tanks are inboard and well insulated.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we first had the Autoquest we used to leave a small oil-filled radiator on overnight to keep the temperature above freezing (our van is parked on the drive so we have an accessible hook-up socket). We then wondered whether it was really necessary so decided that we would use no heat the next winter. That turned out to be the winter of 2010/11 when we had the worst winter for years at home, with more snow than normal and for longer than normal. We experienced no problems so haven't used winter heat, when the vehicle is just parked up, since then.

We use our van during the winter but normally drain the water system between trips. We tend to return home with little water anyway so there wouldn't be much difference between topping up and refilling for the next trip.

Leaving aside the fact that we always drained the tanks, the Autoquest didn't have an auto dump valve on the hot water tank but I expect it would have operated anyway as the heater didn't keep the temperature as high as 8 deg C.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi I would have thought an A class van should be well insulated.We put an oil heater on low for the worst part of last winter with no problems :thumb:

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Winterising

Getting ready for winter with set up is like mine, with onboard tanks, so easy that i would never consider not doing it. Especially as recommissioning is also easy. Pull the plugs on the tanks and isolate the 12v to the pump. Open the taps on a hot/cold mix setting and water flows out of the pipes to the fresh tank and out. Set the heater to 3 degrees, if its that twmperature in the van its very cold outside.

Phil

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I were to place an electric heater on a low heat would this prevent the mh freezing up?
Norman

No.

Problem is pipes at the back of cupboards. The electric heat will not reach and given time they will freeze. I found this the hard way in a winterised Burstner.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
No.

Problem is pipes at the back of cupboards. The electric heat will not reach and given time they will freeze. I found this the hard way in a winterised Burstner.

also most of the newer style taps have ceramic inserts inside and they shatter inside the tap. i know to my cost last winter ( my Adria is winterised ) winterised to me means can be used effectively in winter i.e. mine uses heaters to the waste tank etc but the van needs to be in day to day use. i drained down my system last winter for the few weeks it was parked up but closed the main sink tap after draining down :Doh: there was a small amount of water trapped in the ceramic part of the tap :Doh: froze :Eeek: new tap insert £25 and 2 hours to sus it out and change the part.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I leave our blown air heating on the lowest temp and Wattage settings for the very reason brian mentioned

keeps the water pipes nice and snug

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think many people misunderstand the term 'winterised'

what it really means is its thermally insulated to a point where it can be used without excessive and prolonged heating in sub zero temperatures and tanks are inboard to protect them from the elements
it doesnt mean when its not in use in sub zero weather it wont freeze...cos it will.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I leave our blown air heating on the lowest temp and Wattage settings for the very reason brian mentioned
keeps the water pipes nice and snug

Now that is something that amazed me with the Burstner, I was peering at some wiring and pipes and saw one I could not identify, it was a perforated air pipe strapped to the water pipes. Brilliant design.

And I defeated it by using an electric heater to save wearing out the heater when parked over the winter.

The time a pipe froze I was in Scotland and using a fan heater to save topping up the gas.

The shower tap failed for the same reason. Electric heater and I did not blow down the pipe so the water lodged in the tap froze and cracked it.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Now that is something that amazed me with the Burstner, I was peering at some wiring and pipes and saw one I could not identify, it was a perforated air pipe strapped to the water pipes. Brilliant design.

And I defeated it by using an electric heater to save wearing out the heater when parked over the winter.

The time a pipe froze I was in Scotland and using a fan heater to save topping up the gas.

The shower tap failed for the same reason. Electric heater and I did not blow down the pipe so the water lodged in the tap froze and cracked it.

Ditto for our Chausson too, Brian.

EVERY water pipe is followed by hot air ducting. It works brilliantly!:thumb:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I always drain my Bolero down fully , I have a small compressor at home which I use to (very gently) blow through the system to clear it.I have a small heater set to frost setting, and leave all the cupboard doors open, and the bathroom as well
I also leave one of the side windows slightly open as well, to let air circulate better, no problems so far.
The best idea is to be away in the van in winter, preferably somewhere warm and sunny.!!

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I agree - it is the taps you have to worry about. As already mentioned they should be left open and the power shut off so they don't drain the battery. We tend to drain all the water out on the last few miles of the drive home. That way any odd drops get shaken down.

Insulation only slows down the freezing process, it does not prevent it. I can't see any advantage in keeping water on board over winter on days when the MH is parked up.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We also use our van all winter and always drain down tanks and leave taps open, as the van is parked on the drive we could leave it on frost setting but we tend just to put the heating on the day before we are going away.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We also use our van all winter and always drain down tanks and leave taps open, as the van is parked on the drive we could leave it on frost setting but we tend just to put the heating on the day before we are going away.

We drain down rather than leaving the heating on. It doesn't take long once you are well practiced.
We did try the heating on the frost setting but the cost in diesel and the fouling of the burner caused by cool running of the heater made it impractical.
Our Webasto is diesel-only.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

do what is say,s on the tin [ handbook]:thumb: