Fiat 2.8JTD Turbo Uprated info/experience. (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
looking at a MH with an uprated, re-mapped Fiat 2.8JTD Turbo engine (now approx 160bhp) - apparently.

I am looking for any experiences, info, recommendations on this engine configuration,,,,,,,, are they any good? Bad points, etc etc etc?

All/any replies gratefully received.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
2.8JTD been around a long time and well proved.. I had a remap on mine for 4 years and no issues at all, pulled really well and did around 30k in it.....:thumb:

Before the remap was very sluggish up hills the mapping gave a lot more pull.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
2.8 JTD is a good engine been around a long time.
We had ours remapped by WOW but not very happy with it. MPG dropped by 2 but performance hugely increased, not that it was bad before, but thought extra power was worth the extra fuel. However we're now on the second clutch and its slipping again, WOW not even answered our emails and we're not the only ones having this problem. In hindsight it was an expensive mistake and one which has still to be rectified as I'm not prepared to fit a clutch every 12 months, so will need to pay someone to take the remap off. I have noticed though that all the vans that I know that have had the same problem are the heavier vans being 4500kgs or more so maybe ok on a smaller weight van.
Good luck:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
2.8 JTD is a good engine been around a long time.
We had ours remapped by WOW but not very happy with it. MPG dropped by 2 but performance hugely increased, not that it was bad before, but thought extra power was worth the extra fuel. However we're now on the second clutch and its slipping again, WOW not even answered our emails and we're not the only ones having this problem. In hindsight it was an expensive mistake and one which has still to be rectified as I'm not prepared to fit a clutch every 12 months, so will need to pay someone to take the remap off. I have noticed though that all the vans that I know that have had the same problem are the heavier vans being 4500kgs or more so maybe ok on a smaller weight van.
Good luck:thumb:
Hello, I have the CI Riviera with GVW of 3500kg it has done 40k miles 8k since remapping no problems, pulls really well, the flat spots have gone, the fifth gear has not yet gave up but when it does I will go a bit higher so to drop the revs. No clutch issues yet and have just returned from three weeks touring in Scotland no change in fuel consumption (23/26), if I went a little slower it would even improve. But I do like the power when overtaking no more waiting for the coal to burn. It pulls like a train you have to watch the speed as it will go past 70 with out much asking. But get the airride suspension kit that a must.
hope this helps.
Steve

Wollow007

Free Member
Dec 17, 2011
Reading
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630g
Exp
Im a newbie
Had mine remapped by WOW, have to say it completely changed the motor. Loads more torque and top end power. You'll still be forever changing from 5th to 4th gear, but I believe this can be rectified by changing the gear ratios.

Well worth the upgrade, and can vouch for WOW tuning.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Had mine remapped by WOW, have to say it completely changed the motor. Loads more torque and top end power. You'll still be forever changing from 5th to 4th gear, but I believe this can be rectified by changing the gear ratios.

Well worth the upgrade, and can vouch for WOW tuning.
except for the numerous cases of premature clutch failure following a remap and them not wanting to know

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Fiat fit a larger turbo on some LHD 2.8jtd vans which still don't give 160bhp.

If it was just a simple reap that was required why would fiat spend the extra cash on a bigger turbo?

For that reason I would not touch a 2.8jtd remained to 160bhp.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Hello, I have the CI Riviera with GVW of 3500kg it has done 40k miles 8k since remapping no problems, pulls really well, the flat spots have gone, the fifth gear has not yet gave up but when it does I will go a bit higher so to drop the revs. No clutch issues yet and have just returned from three weeks touring in Scotland no change in fuel consumption (23/26), if I went a little slower it would even improve. But I do like the power when overtaking no more waiting for the coal to burn. It pulls like a train you have to watch the speed as it will go past 70 with out much asking. But get the airride suspension kit that a must.
hope this helps.
Steve

I should have kept my mouth shut:Sad:
On the way down to Shepton Mallet the clutch slipped just a little, a couple of times when going fro 2nd to 3rd, not 100% sure it was not me as I do sometimes leave my foot on the peddle, but I have had a look now I am home and there is no free play at all and just resting my foot will make it slip. So looks like it is very near going I will change it before Lincoln. I was going to do it myself ( with help) but the help is not about so got a price from Mr Clutch in Reading £399.99 all in so will let them do it this Wednesday then straight off to Lincoln. Sooo go on tell me! is Mr Clutch any good or not?
steve

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
That's another one then.
£400.00 is right that's what I pay for a new clutch parts and labour, its about a 3 or 4 hour job.
Got to get mine done but not before I get the remap changed, I need to find someone to do it as WOW are ignoring me.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
many thanks for the replies - moved on from that one but still interested in finding out as much as I can about the re-mapping.

I saw WOW at Shepton Mallet on the weekend and there was a slightly 'heated' exchange by a customer with clutch problems. The guy from WOW was trying to state that increased power 'can' accelerate clutch wear due to higher torque.
Naturally, if torque is higher then the clutch will have to work (grip) 'harder' to transfer that higher torque, likely to show itself earlier than with lower torque via clutch slip.

I suppose that there is a compromise with everything - are higher strength, heavier duty clutches available? If they are this may well be an almost twin-up with the mapping process.

Food for thought but for more power and torque with an upgraded (or at least new) clutch I should imagine you will kiss goodbye to about a grand.

Question is - is it worth the additional 'grunt' - also, if the clutch can handle the increased torque what could be next to go, what's the next weakest link? CV joints????:Doh:

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No heavy duty clutch available, I've searched high and low but to no avail. Someone on here claimed there was a heavy duty clutch available but couldn't supply any info.

As for WOW saying that, they strongly deny it when you have a remap I know that for a fact because I asked them.

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have tried to warn people on here before about remapping and clutches but been flamed for it .I am not saying your clutch will slip but there is a good chance it could from the feedback I have read

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Just looking

How many miles has your clutch done?
When I had the map changed the van had already done 40k by 3 owner's so may have already had a hard life. Its done about 10k now since change. It could hang on for a while longer but that's not my way once I know something is suspect its fixed, I'm a bit implosive and might want to do 100 miles or 1000. So if its done 10k on a worn clutch I iam hoping on 20k+ for a new one. I can live with that because it drives so well now, it is really a pleasure to be in. I had some concerns about MR CLUTCH but after phoning the manager up and asking about gearbox oil etc. he know all about using the correct oil and over filling because he has one. so we will see and the price I think is very good.
Steve

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
My original clutch had done 30'000 and was perfect until the remap then it was slipping within 2000 miles. New clutch fitted, slipping after 6000 miles, new clutch fitted again slipping again at 6000 miles. The extra power is working out very expensive so the remap has to come off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back