Dont use milton in your fresh water tank! (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi We have been advised by Truma that you should NEVER use Milton, or similar products, in your fresh water tank as if any gets into your boiler it will corrode the Stainless steel in the boiler and cause it to leak and fail!!

There are other products on the market, such as Aqua sol which will sterilise your tank without damaging the boiler. They are a little more expensive, but replacing a boiler is very expensive!

Aqua Sol - is a complete water treatment that treats 625 litres of water. It is tasteless and odourless and easy to use. Simply add 1 capful (10ml) to every 25 litres of water. Aqua Sol kills bacteria and viruses, removes tastes and odours caused by plastics, chlorine and metals and helps keep water fresh.

PuriClean 400g - Cleans and purifies all stored water systems. All water tanks, pipes and taps become contaminated with dirt, stains, bacteria and algae. PuriClean provides a simple, effective method of cleaning and purifying the complete water system. PuriClean is non-toxic and non-caustic. It does not taste, smell, foam or harm any components in the water system.

We have always used Milton, hence the need for a completely reconditioned boiler!!

Ginny and Mike

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Good advice!
These things are often overlooked!
Webasto states that products containing chlorine should not be used on their boilers!:Eeek:

Knowing how badly chlorine disinfecting products corrode forklifts in food factories, I can see the reason!

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Thanks for the advice, I did not know that, I used milton in my old camper but I have not used anything in the motor home, as I thought that with the boiler and so many outlets it would not be possible to sterilise everything. So we do not drink the water at all not, even for brushing teeth. If I use Aqua Sol, is it OK to drink the water?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
White vinegar is also good for sterilising the water system, if you fill up the water system with a strongish vinegar solution heat the boiler up and turn off leave overnight and drain / flush etc it will also help descale the boiler safely, used to be recommended by Truma until they brought out their own cleaning/descaling product.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
White vinegar is also good for sterilising the water system, if you fill up the water system with a strongish vinegar solution heat the boiler up and turn off leave overnight and drain / flush etc it will also help descale the boiler safely, used to be recommended by Truma until they brought out their own cleaning/descaling product.
BIG MONY IN IT GREED :thumb:

Blodwyn Pig

Free Member
Oct 1, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
July 2013
Hi We have been advised by Truma that you should NEVER use Milton, or similar products, in your fresh water tank as if any gets into your boiler it will corrode the Stainless steel in the boiler and cause it to leak and fail!!

There are other products on the market, such as Aqua sol which will sterilise your tank without damaging the boiler. They are a little more expensive, but replacing a boiler is very expensive!

Aqua Sol - is a complete water treatment that treats 625 litres of water. It is tasteless and odourless and easy to use. Simply add 1 capful (10ml) to every 25 litres of water. Aqua Sol kills bacteria and viruses, removes tastes and odours caused by plastics, chlorine and metals and helps keep water fresh.

PuriClean 400g - Cleans and purifies all stored water systems. All water tanks, pipes and taps become contaminated with dirt, stains, bacteria and algae. PuriClean provides a simple, effective method of cleaning and purifying the complete water system. PuriClean is non-toxic and non-caustic. It does not taste, smell, foam or harm any components in the water system.

We have always used Milton, hence the need for a completely reconditioned boiler!!

Ginny and Mike

Thanks for the info :thumb: In the caravan we used both Aqua Sol and PuriClean but was considering a swap to Milton. Thanks again :Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Isn't stainless steel supposed to be immune from corrosion?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Isn't stainless steel supposed to be immune from corrosion?

In a word No.......

It's a common misconception that stainless cannot corrode. They resist far far better than mild steel but they also can suffer numerous types of corrosion.

Our cargo tanks on the ship are made from stainless steel. After each cargo we wash them, most of the time with sea water (as it's free are readily available in large quantities), but we always rinse and flush them afterwards with fresh water to prevent pitting and galvanic corrosion.

More info here....
http://www.estainlesssteel.com/corrosion.shtml

::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
same reason you dont leave bleach in a stainless steel sink. I know of an old dear who had always left her dishcloths in bleach in the kitchen sink over night. she had a new kitchen fitted with stainless sink replacing her old porcelain one. within weeks it was leaking like a sieve round the drainhole :Doh:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the advice, I did not know that, I used milton in my old camper but I have not used anything in the motor home, as I thought that with the boiler and so many outlets it would not be possible to sterilise everything. So we do not drink the water at all not, even for brushing teeth. If I use Aqua Sol, is it OK to drink the water?

According to the information on Aqua Sol it is a powerful liquid biocide, used to purify on-board water tanks by killing all water-borne bacteria and virae.

It also gets rid of tastes and odours produced by plastics, chlorine and metals, keeping your water fresh and ready to drink.

A 250ml bottle will treat up to 625 litres of water.

I have just bought a bottle from ebay for £7.20 with free postage, can't be bad.

Ginny

Collyer911

Free Member
May 30, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've just used some milton tablets in my water tank,
i'll bin them now after your advice

Collyer911

Free Member
May 30, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
aquasol ordered
thats going to save me a few quid on bottled water and a new boiler....:Eeek:
again thanks

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I have been recently advised to use Milton tabs, hey I have just been advised here not to. So I am now not going to use Milton tabs, thanks for the advice.

I reckon this should be kept near the top of the lists, as this is sound advice.

Many thanks. I hope your reco boiler did not cost too much.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just use normal water out your tap . its got a bit of chlorine in enough to keep the tank clean and drinkable . milton is only a weak bleach . same as chlorine .
if i have had to put other unknown water in just half fill with chlorinated water then have a drive around . empty and fill again . carry on drinking .
i,m assuming you drink tap water in uk .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had the current water tank in my van for 5 years of fulltiming. Never cleaned it. I don't use it for drinking from but do use it for cooking, brushing teeth etc etc. Used to worry about it but not so much these days.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
According to the information on Aqua Sol it is a powerful liquid biocide, used to purify on-board water tanks by killing all water-borne bacteria and virae.

It also gets rid of tastes and odours produced by plastics, chlorine and metals, keeping your water fresh and ready to drink.

A 250ml bottle will treat up to 625 litres of water.

I have just bought a bottle from ebay for £7.20 with free postage, can't be bad.

Ginny
Glad you are taking precautions to make sure Charlie doesn't get a bad stomach from drinking contaminated water....oh yeah you and Mike as well (y)

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Arrghh, used milton this week on our tank. No idea what had been used if anything previously as we have only just bought MH.

We let it sit for 15 mins then ran it through all the taps etc but didn't turn the boiler on to heat the water.

Hoping we haven't wrecked anything!

Jen

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Thinking about cleaning out the freshwater tank before spring, I wondered if Milton fluid was really a problem, so I rang their advice line. The reply, via email, is shown below;

Good morning,

As discussed, please see below instructions on how to clean the water system in your caravan/motor home and to keep the water tank fresh for a 2-3 week period.

1. Remove filter if possible (replace with new cartridge(if removable) after sterilising process is complete)

2. Add 450ml Milton Sterilising Fluid whilst filling the tanks to 75 litres with fresh water.

3. Run solution through the system to the tap heads until chlorine smell detected.

4. Leave in system for 15 – 30 minutes.

5. Flush out with fresh water and replace filter cartridge.

6. Refill tanks with fresh water.

7. Add 35-40ml of Milton sterilising fluid to each tank to keep the water fresh over 2-3 week periods.

This dilution will not harm gas boilers or stainless steel fittings. The concentrated solution is not in contact for long enough to do any harm. There shouldn’t be a strong smell or taste but you may get a slight taste of chlorine but his is nothing to worry about.

I hope that this information answers your query. However, should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or customer services on 0344 243 6661.

Kind regards

Helen

Helen Taylor

Customer Service Advisor

Ceuta Healthcare, Hill House, 41 Richmond Hill

Bournemouth BH2 6HS

helen.taylor@ceutahealthcare.com

www.milton-tm.com

Link Removed

Helen Taylor | Customer Service Advisor | Ceuta Healthcare Ltd
Office: 0344 243 6661 | Call: 01202 449721 | Fax: 0344 243 6662

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Yes but Ceuta Healthcare are not Truma and if Truma find out you used it then they will doubtless invalidate any warranty that you have.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
same reason you dont leave bleach in a stainless steel sink. I know of an old dear who had always left her dishcloths in bleach in the kitchen sink over night. she had a new kitchen fitted with stainless sink replacing her old porcelain one. within weeks it was leaking like a sieve round the drainhole :Doh:

Crumbs! This old dear does that every night :( . Never again then.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We used Aqua Clean once in the 300 litre tank in our RV, it left an unpleasant taste so we didn't use it again.
The handbook told us to use a weak bleach solution at the start of the season and flush it through before use. I don't know what the boiler internals were made of though, I assume not stainless steel.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If you use tap water and only tap water any ware in Europe theirs enough chemicals in it to keep your system safe we have only used tap water and re fresh our's just with a regular Chang of water let the tank run down and then replenish with fresh never had a problem with any van i have had.

interesting old thread with differing opinions

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

Ginny and Mike
Oh, give us a break, we brought up all our eleven kids on a diluted diet of Milton & milk,,, so hungover most mornins that we never rinsed the babies bottles properly,,, never did em any harm, anyway, the slug of cheap Brandy in each feed probably sterilised the Milton??? Just pour some cheap Cognac in the tank at each fill up and stop ya frettin,,, and stop worryin all the other poor old souls out there,!!!(y):LOL::LOL::LOL:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Purisol to sterilize the Tank, pipes, fittings etc

Aquasol to keep your fresh water "fresh"

As with other things "when all else fails, read the instructions"

Peace of mind for less than £8 each at your local Caravan store