Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Hi all whats Marseille like and going east along the coast any good stops Thanks Bernie:Cool:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Dunno now, the bin men were on strike and the port workers were holding a demonstration plus road works everywhere and the diversion wanted us to go down a 2.7m high tunnel in a 3.05m high van, last time we went through it!

Hopefully, it's less stressful now!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Very French then. BUSBY:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
only been to Marseilles once...Friday rush hour due to disagreement with the sat nav...gave up with sat nav and worked on the basis of keep going in the one direction and wed hit the ring road at some point - which worked, sort of!!

Looked like a nice enough place though as we got to see quite a bit of it:ROFLMAO:

heading east wise...le lavandou. there is an aire in a small bay right by the beach...used to be a real gem when we first found it a few years ago but has become very popular since and prices have gone up, but they do have leccie (french spiders nest type set up!!) and free wifi. but if you can get a spot in the front row, under the olive trees you get a view of the sea and 1min walk from door to sandy and wet feet, bit dusty sometimes but the beach etc outweighs some of the downsides

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Last time someone asked this I believe the concensus was not to leave your Motorhome unattended if you park up anywhere there.

I have only experienced driving through it in the morning rush hour which was not much fun for Mrs Colpot with lots of OMG's and Look Out's as Cars/Vans/Lorries came at us from all angles.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Last time someone asked this I believe the concensus was not to leave your Motorhome unattended if you park up anywhere there.

I have only experienced driving through it in the morning rush hour which was not much fun for Mrs Colpot with lots of OMG's and Look Out's [HI]as Cars/Vans/Lorries came at us from all angles.[/HI]

gawd, id forgotten that bit of our "tour" of the place - has to have been the worst driving experience id ever had, and im not normally phased by that at all!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Newbie but 25 Years towing.
We were there last year.
Its now considered by the French as a North African city rather than French and has a reputation for High Crime levels compared to the rest of france.
I would never try to park in the city for all the normal reasons let alone the traffic and van security.
So we stayed near Aix 30KM north and took the express coach to the centre.
Walked down to the Harbour and around the port area past the Fish Market. (The dirty and unhygienic way the fish were sold was appalling!) But Its a tourist trap and swans with pickpockets and the like.
As long as my Camper is safe i have no problem with these places having lived and worked in the Middle East for a while. But be on your guard for distraction scams if people come up to you offering things or just talking.
We had a very pretty young North African girl offer us a Diamond ring she swore we had dropped!??? with 2 large men standing behind us. Simple refusal and walk on normally does the trick. They target tourists that stick out like a sore thumb.
Don't be put off and go but take precautions to be aware.
The local Soup Bouillabaisse is a local tourist rip off but we had to try it. £26 a plate That was for the 6 fish type. Quite tasty but once tried etc.
Nkfc33EKjM

Peter
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xyairxdk8wrg4k7/Nkfc33EKjM

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I agree with Sedge, the height restrictions are a real nuisance for vans at the 3 meter mark. This is especially true when you are stuck in endless jams and are forced to stick with the jam because you are too tall to duck out of it. I'd give it a miss, tried twice and given up twice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back