Thetford N150 Fridge (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
After suffering 230v cooling failure in France back in June, decided to do something about it. The panel was showing error '1' and the fridge would still run on 12v and gas quite happily.

Went to a dealer only 50 miles away for them to look at it. After two and a half hours they reported that it was either 5A fuse failure, AC heating element failure, or power board failure. I was a bit annoyed as this info was available in the manual and I had told them the same thing over the phone. Had to leave it at that as we were on starting a trip.

Four weeks later gets home after speaking to a guy on a site who said 'It's the AC element, easy to change'. This afternoon decided to tackle the job, fridge came out easy enough, disconnect 12v, 220c and gas, six screws and slide it out, though there were only three screws, the other three were sheared.

This is where the fun starts, cannot get the element out without removing the insulated shroud round the flue, taking the cover off the power board and then removing the power board in order to disconnect both the 12v and 220v element supplies. Only then can you remove the AC element. All very fiddly operations.

The element has a part number stamped on it, turns out this is the Norcold number, not the Thetford number. After two premium rate phone calls I manage to get the right number and have now ordered the said part.

With the fridge out I can now see where the draught was coming from, all the foam combustion insulation had come away and was lying in a heap at the bottom of the enclosure.

Conclusion, knocked off whilst awaiting the part but glad I did not leave it at the dealers, I reckon they could run up a 3 hour bill for labour, plus parts and v.a.t. and I'll have the satisfaction of knowing the job has been done properly.

Will update when the job is finish. Not a job for the faint hearted.

Rgds
Bill

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
After suffering 230v cooling failure in France back in June, decided to do something about it. The panel was showing error '1' and the fridge would still run on 12v and gas quite happily.

Went to a dealer only 50 miles away for them to look at it. After two and a half hours they reported that it was either 5A fuse failure, AC heating element failure, or power board failure. I was a bit annoyed as this info was available in the manual and I had told them the same thing over the phone. Had to leave it at that as we were on starting a trip.

Four weeks later gets home after speaking to a guy on a site who said 'It's the AC element, easy to change'. This afternoon decided to tackle the job, fridge came out easy enough, disconnect 12v, 220c and gas, six screws and slide it out, though there were only three screws, the other three were sheared.

This is where the fun starts, cannot get the element out without removing the insulated shroud round the flue, taking the cover off the power board and then removing the power board in order to disconnect both the 12v and 220v element supplies. Only then can you remove the AC element. All very fiddly operations.

The element has a part number stamped on it, turns out this is the Norcold number, not the Thetford number. After two premium rate phone calls I manage to get the right number and have now ordered the said part.

With the fridge out I can now see where the draught was coming from, all the foam combustion insulation had come away and was lying in a heap at the bottom of the enclosure.

Conclusion, knocked off whilst awaiting the part but glad I did not leave it at the dealers, I reckon they could run up a 3 hour bill for labour, plus parts and v.a.t. and I'll have the satisfaction of knowing the job has been done properly.

Will update when the job is finish. Not a job for the faint hearted.

Rgds
Bill
Be carefull when installing the new element as you can blow the fuse as in earlier threads I've had 3 240v elects go and 1 12 v over the years and as per my earlier thread i have come to an agreement with thetford and waitin for a brand new 3rd gen all black fridge freezer Bill

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Update - Spare element arrived today, ordered on Ebay Tuesday afternoon, reasonable price. Fitted, fridge powercard etc. reassembled and fridge re-fitted complete with correct combustion foam location.

Reckon it would have cost 3-4 hours labour plus parts. Still a fiddly job though.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Update - Spare element arrived today, ordered on Ebay Tuesday afternoon, reasonable price. Fitted, fridge powercard etc. reassembled and fridge re-fitted complete with correct combustion foam location.

Reckon it would have cost 3-4 hours labour plus parts. Still a fiddly job though.

Rgds
Bill
Was the power card bust as well

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
No, powercard seem to work alright but to access the terminals for the AC and DC heaters almost all the connections to the card have to be removed. I found it necessary to take out the DC heater in order to get the AC heater out of it's tube. Why they have put two fuses in the middle of the pcb beats me, could they not have been located with access from the outside.

The design of my van means the fridge had to come out anyway though I see more modern vans have much bigger vents, the job may be possible on these without removal.

Rgds
Bill

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
No, powercard seem to work alright but to access the terminals for the AC and DC heaters almost all the connections to the card have to be removed. I found it necessary to take out the DC heater in order to get the AC heater out of it's tube. Why they have put two fuses in the middle of the pcb beats me, could they not have been located with access from the outside.

The design of my van means the fridge had to come out anyway though I see more modern vans have much bigger vents, the job may be possible on these without removal.

Rgds
Bill
As I said in other threads i have had to replace the 240v heater element on 3 occasions i know what you mean about access the first thing I checked was the 20 amp fuse then the 3 amp and the glass fuse someone mentioned that there is a 5 amp fuse i couldn't find it at present I'm waiting forthe new 3rd generation all black one with a 3 year warranty

Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Update to my fridge. Just back from a week away with the fridge running on 240v most of the time, no problems. Also, because I have refitted the combustion foam correctly, no more draughts.

Bill

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Update to my fridge. Just back from a week away with the fridge running on 240v most of the time, no problems. Also, because I have refitted the combustion foam correctly, no more draughts.

Bill
Glad it's all worked out mate as I said in my post I decided to take up the offer from Thetford because of all the problems I've had. The new 3000 range was fitted a couple of weeks ago and wow what a difference it's like night and day from my last fridge n150 in performance

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back