tolls in ortugal and automatic payment (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Tez read yesterday somewhere that when using the tolls in Portugal youh ave to use a barrier to exit these tolls which take money from an account which must have been set up prior to using the tolls, taken through number plate recognition.
Can we get around this or does anyone know how to set one of these up?
We have never driven through Spain our Portugal but intend to do so this winter.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i drove through the algarve in febuary and crossing the border from spain to portugal there is a pay station where u can put in your credit card and then it will just debit that for the tolls no need to take tickets and the likes but i didnt do this and you cant pay (if foreign vehicle ) after use so i didnt bother at all and never heard nowt but if u r ubsure just tell your satnav to use non motorways and you can use the n roads and through the algarve this was a good route through the town much better than a empty motorway

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i drove through the algarve in febuary and crossing the border from spain to portugal there is a pay station where u can put in your credit card and then it will just debit that for the tolls no need to take tickets and the likes but i didnt do this and you cant pay (if foreign vehicle ) after use so i didnt bother at all and never heard nowt but if u r ubsure just tell your satnav to use non motorways and you can use the n roads and through the algarve this was a good route through the town much better than a empty motorway

Don't blame me if this doesn't work, but it may be more strict now but we did this last year and nothing became of it, my friend lives there most of the year and has a English reg car and uses the motorway occasionally and has never paid or had a fine, as have quite a few ex pats down there I believe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i did pay the tolls for the hire car i had when picking linda up from faro airport but then that had my credit card nuber and as the car was Portuguese it was best to pay it i think from faro to praire de lux was around 10e i think

Deleted User
http://www.portugaltolls.pt/en/web/portal-de-portagens/home

Try looking at this and all should become clear.

There are two different types of toll motorway in Portugal, the old fashioned ones with toll booths and ones with electronic number plate recognition.

I believe that the toll booths do not accept credit cards, only cash.

The tollcard system is simple for the 'electronic' toll roads and can be purchased online.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Please note that there are two, different types of toll roads in Portugal.

1. The old, original toll roads issue you with a ticket when you get on and you pay when you get off.

2. The new, electronic toll roads which have overhead gantries and automatic number plate recognition.

It is the 2nd type that tourists meet at the Spanish/Algarve (or Vilar Formosa near Salamanca) border.

JJ :Cool:

Whoops... snap matamoros.

The booths do take plastic... indeed sometimes, at night, there are only machines working... no humans but if my faulty memory is working they take cash too..

Last edited:

Autotrailer

Free Member
Aug 26, 2013
Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2006
Still waiting

We travelled through Portugal in April of this year. Numerous confused explanations of the Numberplate recognition tolls. Looked up the position on a website I was given by a UK expat. It said, if you did not pay while in Portugal, they would bill you at home. Well, they might yet, but, as of today, they have not. Have sold that van now, so, hopefully, new owner will not get the bill if he/she visits Portugal!:Smile:

Costa Warrior

Free Member
Apr 15, 2012
Estepona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Tez read yesterday somewhere that when using the tolls in Portugal youh ave to use a barrier to exit these tolls which take money from an account which must have been set up prior to using the tolls, taken through number plate recognition.
Can we get around this or does anyone know how to set one of these up?
We have never driven through Spain our Portugal but intend to do so this winter.

Hi,
When you enter Portugal, there is a booth where you park your M/H . It reads your number plate and you insert your credit card into a machine which gives you a receipt to prove you are registered if you are stopped by the police. When you travel on the motorway at certain points there are overhead sensors which detect your number plate and charge your credit card.There are signs indicating the tarif.
We travelled in April this year and the charges still haven't appeared on my statement.
Another system is that you can buy a prepaid card at certain garages.
I hope this helps.

Costa Warrior

Free Member
Apr 15, 2012
Estepona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2012
We travelled through Portugal in April of this year. Numerous confused explanations of the Numberplate recognition tolls. Looked up the position on a website I was given by a UK expat. It said, if you did not pay while in Portugal, they would bill you at home. Well, they might yet, but, as of today, they have not. Have sold that van now, so, hopefully, new owner will not get the bill if he/she visits Portugal!:Smile:

Hi,
If you are stopped by the police in Portugal and do not have proof of payment, you will be fined. Of course, you can always risk it.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Just a word of warning about Portuguese toll roads. If you don't speak the language you might not know that you are not supposed to be for more than 12 hours. So, if you intend to park up at a service area and overstay the limit you get hit with a much higher charge.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for all the replies, we don't ever intend to stop st service stations, reading all the bad things that could happen, I would never sleep anyway.
We are both drivers so can continue on to somewhere safer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back