Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry if this has been covered before but....
In a recent article in the Motor Caravanners Club magazine a 'legal eagle' has stated that 70 year olds who do not take a medical and are therefor limited to 3.5 tonnes and drive a motorhome of 3.5 tonnes can not tow a trailer as the weight of the trailer is included in the MAM (maximum authorised mass), is that correct? I have searched the Gov websites but have drawn a blank, someone clear my head please

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Sorry if this has been covered before but....
In a recent article in the Motor Caravanners Club magazine a 'legal eagle' has stated that 70 year olds who do not take a medical and are therefor limited to 3.5 tonnes and drive a motorhome of 3.5 tonnes can not tow a trailer as the weight of the trailer is included in the MAM (maximum authorised mass), is that correct? I have searched the Gov websites but have drawn a blank, someone clear my head please

My understanding was that the medical was required to renew C1/C/D/D1 licences and that B+E was unaffected. Although there have been lots of changes in this area recently.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a standard B category licence allows up to 3500kg plus a trailer up to 750kg.

B+E allows the same but with any trailer up to the max train weight of the tow vehicle.

standard B or B+E category is not affected by age providing there are no medical or vision problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi merle. with the right vehicle set up 11-12ton train with a b+e is available .
its definitely the way to go if closing on 70 yrs old .

OP
OP
Merle

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Just to clarify the article states is that IF on reaching 70 you do not retain group C1 by going through the D4 medical (or failing it) (his words) then you are limited to 3.5 tonnes MAM with or without a trailer.
If this is correct I fear there are a number of folk out there who are driving illegal rigs, so many I have spoken to have downsized to 3.5 and put a trailer on to regain the load space

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
c1 as no connection to b+e
two different class,s of licence . the medical is for c1/c1+e . think the op hasnt dropped down to really see about b+e,but took only the b class of license.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
70 Licence

When I renewed my licence at 70 just over a year ago I decided not to bother with taking a medical to retain the Category C1 on my licence which covers over 3500kg. Not for any medical reason only because I do not need it.

I know there has been a recent article in one of the Caravan or Motorhome magazines on this whole subject which got the facts totally wrong and an apology was in the next addition.

Prior to my licence renewal I emailed the DVLA for some clarity and this was the situation they advised as of July 2012.

Renewal of the licence at 70 includes categories B and BE plus f.k l, n and p.

Category BE entitles the driver to Drive a vehicle up to 3500kg plus a trailer of any weight. (Obviously up to the total Max weight on the Vehicle plate)

This means we can drive our under 3500kg motorhome with a car attached either by A frame or on a trailer.

If you have passed your Driving test since about 1997 then you don't have category BE on your licence only B. Our son has such a licence and so he can only drive our van with a trailer grossing no more than 750KG or he can drive a vehicle towing a heavier trailer provided the total weight of the combined units does not exceed 3500kg. It is amusing,( not to him) that he has more restriction on what he can do and he is a driving instructor.

Hope this helps.

If you want to be sure email the DVLA asking what categories will be on your new licence and what they cover.

Regards

Doug

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
a standard B category licence allows up to 3500kg plus a trailer up to 750kg.

B+E allows the same but with any trailer up to the max train weight of the tow vehicle.

standard B or B+E category is not affected by age providing there are no medical or vision problems.
gosh I hope so otherwise I am in the sh1t with me trike as a toad:cry::cry::cry:

OP
OP
Merle

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
When I renewed my licence at 70 just over a year ago I decided not to bother with taking a medical to retain the Category C1 on my licence which covers over 3500kg. Not for any medical reason only because I do not need it.

I know there has been a recent article in one of the Caravan or Motorhome magazines on this whole subject which got the facts totally wrong and an apology was in the next addition.

Prior to my licence renewal I emailed the DVLA for some clarity and this was the situation they advised as of July 2012.

Renewal of the licence at 70 includes categories B and BE plus f.k l, n and p.

Category BE entitles the driver to Drive a vehicle up to 3500kg plus a trailer of any weight. (Obviously up to the total Max weight on the Vehicle plate)

This means we can drive our under 3500kg motorhome with a car attached either by A frame or on a trailer.

If you have passed your Driving test since about 1997 then you don't have category BE on your licence only B. Our son has such a licence and so he can only drive our van with a trailer grossing no more than 750KG or he can drive a vehicle towing a heavier trailer provided the total weight of the combined units does not exceed 3500kg. It is amusing,( not to him) that he has more restriction on what he can do and he is a driving instructor.

Hope this helps.

If you want to be sure email the DVLA asking what categories will be on your new licence and what they cover.

Regards

Doug
Thank you and VWalan for the clarification, I too was a little concerned especially as the article was headed 'Trailer towing after 70 years old'. It seems rather logical to me that a very high percentage if not the majority of 70 year old drivers would have taken their tests pre '97, and to not cover their situation seems to be a major oversight to me

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Thank you and VWalan for the clarification, I too was a little concerned especially as the article was headed 'Trailer towing after 70 years old'. It seems rather logical to me that a very high percentage if not the majority of 70 year old drivers would have taken their tests pre '97, and to not cover their situation seems to be a major oversight to me

Unless you have diabetes or a heart problem that is not controlled the medical at 70 is no problem. I went through it earlier this year. I have restricted vision in one eye and although I would not pass to drive commercially I was given a CI+E and DE marked NFHR (not for hire or reward). I have been on blood pressure medication for years.

As Alan says B+E s unaffected and you simply do a self declaration at 70. To retain the CI+E and D1 you take the medical. This can be done by your own doctor. Medical can cost up to £115 (BMA recommendation) and needs to be done every 3 years to retain the C & D licences.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back