LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have two (2) very large Solar panels,, coupled to two (2) 180amp hr batterys (That look like they have come out of an electric milk float, Massive)..

Also we have a "Waeco" Sin Power inverter. (Or should that be converter?:RollEyes:)

My question what size wattage Kettle and Toaster can I run from this set up...

Or should I be looking to buy lower wattage kettle & Toaster etc.. ?

2nd.. Question.... the power points work of the inverter, "But" are they over ridden when on EHU.. and use the site electric...

I`m :sorry2: if these questions sound as if I`m thick....... but I am when it comes to electrics.. :RollEyes::Sad:

Thanks.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We have two (2) very large Solar panels,, coupled to two (2) 180amp hr batterys (That look like they have come out of an electric milk float, Massive)..

Also we have a "Waeco" Sin Power inverter. (Or should that be converter?:RollEyes:)

2nd.. Question.... the power points work of the inverter, "But" are they over ridden when on EHU.. and use the site electric...

I`m :sorry2: if these questions [HI]sound as if I`m thick....... but I am when it comes to electrics[/HI].. :RollEyes::Sad:

Thanks.

......and you ain't alone Old Mate...love the van Mo.......:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

I`m :sorry2: if these questions sound as if I`m thick....... but I am when it comes to electrics.. :RollEyes::Sad:

Thanks.

There is no point in buying smaller toasters and kettles if the existing inverter is powerful enough to run them. You won't have any less water to boil just because you do it at half the rate. In fact, it will probably use a fraction less electricity to do it faster, as it has less time to lose energy to the surroundings.

Of course, we don't know if the inverter is powerful enough as we don't know the rating of the inverter, the kettle or the toaster.

As for how your inverter is wired up wrt the EHU, we can't answer that. Unless you have a default factory setup and someone has exactly the same model and can take a look at theirs...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Thanks.

Can you see the INverter ? Can you find a label on it (using a mirror) ?

Really you should re-think kettle and toaster. Gas is the best way to generate heat when not on hookup. Your gas tank(s) will hold probably 1000 times more energy than your batteries, which is why cars run on gas and not electricity.

Is your next question "how do I empty the little cassette". A whole new world for you Mo. Welcome to the world of the mortals.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thats what dealers are for, they sold you the van, ask them and carry on until you get all the answers you need.
Peter

Says a man gnashing his teeth and muttering "Am I past it ? Have I lost my touch ? How the hell did I let that deal slip through my fingers ?"

Don't be too hard on yourself Peter, he might be ancient but he don't half move fast when he gets the urge. Ask Judy !

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Mo,

Thats what dealers are for, they sold you the van, ask them and carry on until you get all the answers you need.

Peter

I will ask, Peter...

But in fairness to them I think they did explain on hand over,,,, but there is so much on here that it just fuddled my brain and gave me a headache...:RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mo chances are the inverter will only power one socket--the others will be powered on HU
Best way to find out is plug in and see what happens ::bigsmile:
IE no HU and see what works :thumb:
HU and then see what works :thumb:
you may well have to switch inverter on :Smile:
try it all out on your drive :thumb:may well be worth taking a pen and pad ::bigsmile:
terry

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Congratulations on the new van it looks great :thumb:

Inverters! If it is correctly fitted it should power all of your 13amp sockets but nothing else and there should be a transfer switch which will isolate the inverter when the motorhome is plugged into external mains.

As for what you can run, the inverter will give you a wattage say 2000 watts

If that is the case, you can look at a kettle and there will be specification plate (normally on the underside) Top Trade Tip empty the kettle before turning it upside down to check :winky:

Lets just assume the kettle is 2000W so yes you could, in theory use it on the inverter.

However, a couple of pondering points. I always suggest that the rule of thumb workings out AC (mains) Watts to DC (battery) Amps is to divide by ten. So you would use 200 amps of battery power to boil your kettle. OK it won't take an hour to boil it but a couple of cups in the morning, midday, mid afternoon and one before bed and it all soon adds up.

You should only use about 50% of your battery capacity on a regular basis, so you 180 amps to use. If you use up all of your "amps" for boiling water you'll have non left for things like lights and pumps.

Hope that helps a bit

Eddie

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
When you look at all the members discounts available on Fun why bother with any other forum or supplier, you can even get a discount on bog rolls, the list is endless:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10% discount to MotorhomeFun subscribers on
KVH domes, Oyster satellite, Dometic, Waeco, Sterling, Solar, Strikeback & Growler Security Systems plus much, much,more

Eddie Vanbitz

Ash
Broken Link Removed

dnewell.gif

There are others as well

and of course me

Peter

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
When you look at all the members discounts available on Fun why bother with any other forum or supplier, you can even get a discount on bog rolls, the list is endless:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10% discount to MotorhomeFun subscribers on
KVH domes, Oyster satellite, Dometic, Waeco, Sterling, Solar, Strikeback & Growler Security Systems plus much, much,more

Eddie Vanbitz

Ash
Broken Link Removed

dnewell.gif

There are others as well

and of course me

Peter

And don't forget the most important trader, Peter.. =

*OLD - MO`s* Maids Servicing Centre.... Satisfaction Guaranteed, or your money back...

Mobile, and Many Happy Customers... :thumb:

:winky::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Thanks.

Dont worry about none of that crap Mo Just throw the switch on the dash that fires up the ole---------------------- oops Its a Euro:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
G

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
listen carefully Mo....to make 'toast' you need a frying pan and some cooking oil.

put a splash of oil in pan and place on gas hob, when hot put in a slice ofbread.

when golden brown turn over and crisp second side.

no need to butter as its full of oil anyway. :thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
listen carefully Mo....to make 'toast' you need a frying pan and some cooking oil.

put a splash of oil in pan and place on gas hob, when hot put in a slice ofbread.

when golden brown turn over and crisp second side.

no need to butter as its full of oil anyway. :thumb:

Is That real Toast.. :Cool:

I calls it Fried Bread... :Doh:::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mo are you telling us you paid all that money and the van has not got a oven or grill?::bigsmile:
Terry

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi Mo are you telling us you paid all that money and the van has not got a oven or grill?::bigsmile:
Terry

Strange as it may seem...

"No"............. :cry:

Got a pokey little oven, but no grill and No Microwave... :RollEyes::Blush:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Strange as it may seem...

"No"............. :cry:

Got a pokey little oven, but no grill and No Microwave... :RollEyes::Blush:

Hi Mo,

In our Burstner we took a shelf out of one of the cupboards above the sink and fitted ( nice and snugly) a low wattage microwave.

Might be worth looking at:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mo,

In our Burstner we took a shelf out of one of the cupboards above the sink and fitted ( nice and snugly) a low wattage microwave.

Might be worth looking at:thumb:

Micros don't make real toast ::bigsmile:
terry

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
:thumb:

nor cook a pie or yorkshire puds :winky:::bigsmile:
never mind Mo can always loose a cupboard and fit a proper cooker in ---or eat out ::bigsmile:
terrry

Mine's got a US style oven anyway. You can't do any of the above things in it. What you can do is apply a 10mm thick pure carbon layer on side of any food, whilst maintaining the other side completely frozen.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well I have just gone back and looked at the pics of Mo's van and there is no room for a oven unless you put a combi micro one in one of the top lockers ::bigsmile: Infact the kitchen is tiny :Eeek: You will have to eat out more Mo :winky: or get a Ramoska type cooker :thumb::Smile: don't think you can do toast in the Ramoska :Doh:::bigsmile: then again I have never tried with ours ::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back