Are big modern tents the (new camping)? (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
On a site at Dawlish over the weekend up on a terraced area.
Looking down over the camp site the amount of tents completely outnumbered the MH`s and tuggers x 2 to 1.

It was a sea of blue and green fabric.

Are these big modern tents any good, there seems to be a lot more room inside them than my MH:Eeek:

Are our big thirsty MH`s a dying breed nowadays and the new large eco tents the future :cry:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Looking down over the camp site the amount of tents completely outnumbered the MH`s and tuggers x 2 to 1.

Are these big modern tents any good, there seems to be a lot more room inside them than my MH:Eeek:

Are our big thirsty MH`s a dying breed nowadays and the new large eco tents the future :cry:

I've got one. You certainly get a sense of space. Mine is a 8 man tunnel tent. It has 4 double bedrooms. We use one as a toilet cubicle with an electric portapotti. It has electric lighting and a fridge.

They're reasonably comfortable, but the motorhome wins every time in reality because:

1. No shower.
2. Requires arrival at campsite before 20:00.
3. Takes ages to take up and put down.
4. Miserable in the rain.
5. Primitive cooking facilities.
6. Constantly needing to fetch water.
7. Lack of hand washing facilities (have marginally OCD son).
8. No TV.
9. Less spacious when travelling.
10. Difficult storage.
11. Need trailer or roofbox.
12. Requires electric hookup.
13. No heating.

There are advantages, such as being much cheaper to buy and run and having a runaround vehicle available when camping. However, most of the additional space is lost to storage and a motorhome with awning provides that additional space.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes you do tend to see a lot of them around, have another look out the window of your nice hot MH in December and see how many you ca count then :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
We spent the bank holiday weekend in Scarborough, it was not our first choice though. We were thehere because our son-in-law had just bought a 8-man tent for his family (wife and two very young sons) and he wanted to try it out.

We set off in our vehicles - us in the motorhome with the fridge full of food and wine, the four of them in the car suffed full of camping equipment and, after driving different routes met up outsde York and made the final part of the journey together. On arrival at the sit we found space where we could be next to each other and began setting up.

I switched the engine off and turned the gas on, filled the kettle to get the tea brewing. We then looked after the two grand children while they unloaded he tent, erected it, put down camping carpets, pegged out numerous guy ropes, installed the inner bedrooms, inflated their airbeds and sorted the bedding They had to borrow a couple of chairs and a table from us because they hadn't had room to bring their own. That evening it was cold and windy and sitting around a table in a draughty tent with a small battery powered lamp wasn't as much fun as sitting in a warm motorhome watching TV while drinking wine.

The only canvas I want to be under on holiday is the awning of the motorhome, sitting on my nice comfy chair drinking wine. Always with the knowledge that, when the sun goes down and the chilly evening starts, there is a nice warm rear lounge area waiting for me.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
These are the tents and camping equipment that will be on various selling site very soon or at the start of next season... "paid £400 - looking for £50" :Doh:

Camping and tents, great on a nice hot sunny weekend but any other time forget it....

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

You are right, there is an explosion in new tents and most camp site owners complain bitterly about how much space they take up:cry:
I have a Pennine that I use on occasions when we need extra beds. Great bit of kit can use all year round and erects in minutes.:thumb:
http://www.thepenninegroup.co.uk/

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Large tent sales this year have been to say the least a total disaster, no one is buying them, there will be some big 'fire sales' with dealers desparete to shift unsold stock

Peter

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Earwigs.

That's why I wouldnt buy a tent.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my daughter prefers her tent and has done since she was about 8. we always carried her pup tent so she had her own space. now its just the cheapest way to get away camping

she would love a motorhome one day, so who knows she may or maybe not give up her tent

modern tents though are so much lighter and more user friendly than old canvas

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
vw-camper-van-tent-1.jpg

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
This looks nice--where can I place the Thetford :Eeek:

Link Removed

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Big tents have dropped in price and with companies like Go Outdoors almost giving them away, it has made camping more accessible to those that want space to entertain when it rains. However, I know a few families that have downsized when they have had to pay for 2 pitches for one large tent or have been turned away from sites because their tents are too big. Plus the fact that they take ages to put up and then deal with if hey get wet before packing away.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my neice bought a huge tent for the five of them used it twice and bought a large pop up because she just couldnt pitch the large one without an army of heklpers

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Tents are ok on the med in summer. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Elaine and I camped for years with kids and then on our own with motorbike and then trike
Hang on I will ask her if she wants to go camping this weekend ?

Sorry such un lady like comments are coming spluttering out of her mouth I did not know she could curse like that so I suppose that a no then

All calm now
Tis a joke elaine honest dont hit me again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back