LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I drained my water system recently and now I can't get any water out of the taps.

The water pump makes some noise when the power is turned on but it doesn't produce water out of the taps when they are turned on.

I have put a beaker of water under the tap when turned on but no bubbles appear.

Any ideas?

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Have you refilled the main tank:ROFLMAO:

It may take some time for the water to make its way through the system.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If it's all been drained then it needs to get up to pressure.
Fill tank, make sure all taps and drain taps are closed. Turn on pump and let run for a while to build pressure, when trying a tap watch out as it may spurt...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks.

The tank is almost full and I have left the taps running for several minutes. How long should it take to repressurise?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
sometimes i have known the pumps not to actually suck at first .try sucking on the tap with pump running . possibly need a bit of rubber pipe pushed on the tap.
worth a try.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the pump is in the tank then it may not draw water until the air is bled out.

if you can get to the pump through an access hatch in the tank then turn on the pump and open a cold tap.

take hold of the pump and shake vigorously or tap against the tank side for a few seconds until the pump noise changes or slows down.
water should then flow from the open tap....probably spitting at first but will flow smoothly eventually.

if the pump is outside the tank, turn on the pump but leave all taps closed until the pump stops on its own.
open a cold tap and wait for water to emerge.

if the pump doesnt stop on its own with all taps closed you probably have a faulty pump or a leak.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I've tried sucking the taps and get a mouthful of water but no change in the pump :(

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
sounds like strip pump time or replace it .

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The pump is outside of the tank. I've left the pump running with the taps closed but there is no change to the noise. It is very quiet - just a little hum. Previously, when we turned on the taps, it made a powerful pumping noise and seemed to work very well. After draining the system, if seems to have stopped.

I have seen the pump - it is located in one of the most awkward locations and requires me to grow a second set of bendy, slim arms. Alternatively, I could use a tin opener and approach the pump from the outside .....

At least I have justified the purchase of my bendy long reach inspection camera ... I can see the bloomin' screws that I have to reach. Perhaps I could hire Tom Cruise or Tom Thumb to get into the space for me?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The pump is outside of the tank. I've left the pump running with the taps closed but there is no change to the noise. It is very quiet - just a little hum. Previously, when we turned on the taps, it made a powerful pumping noise and seemed to work very well. After draining the system, if seems to have stopped.

I have seen the pump - it is located in one of the most awkward locations and requires me to grow a second set of bendy, slim arms. Alternatively, I could use a tin opener and approach the pump from the outside .....

At least I have justified the purchase of my bendy long reach inspection camera ... I can see the bloomin' screws that I have to reach. Perhaps I could hire Tom Cruise or Tom Thumb to get into the space for me?

sounds like the pump valve block spindle has seized.

it should make no noise at all once its stopped pulsing....the hum is the motor trying to turn, but the spindle isnt.

new pump time i reckon.

while you're replacing it you may want to relocate it to a more accessible place.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
sounds like the pump valve block spindle has seized.

it should make no noise at all once its stopped pulsing....the hum is the motor trying to turn, but the spindle isnt.

new pump time i reckon.

while you're replacing it you may want to relocate it to a more accessible place.

Sounds good but it previously made the hum and then supplied water when the taps were turned on (the noise increased significantly). When the taps were turned off, the hum continued. Does that make any difference? It was certainly powerful but noisier than I would have hoped for when trying to sleep as others are filling the kettle for a cuppa.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds good but it previously made the hum and then supplied water when the taps were turned on (the noise increased significantly). When the taps were turned off, the hum continued. Does that make any difference? It was certainly powerful but noisier than I would have hoped for when trying to sleep as others are filling the kettle for a cuppa.

I could be at cross purposes here.

I thought it was a diaphragm pump, but it sounds like a centrifugal pump.

do the taps have a pair of wires coming off them ?

if so, the pump isnt turning off when the taps are closed which points to the pressure switch (if fitted) or the microswitch in the tap not working.

the hum is the pump running under pressure which would account for the change in noise when the tap is opened and pressure relieved.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I cannot find any wires amongst the taps.

The pump is a Shurflow Trail King 7. 2095 - 204 - 413 Model no. 7

Diaphragm pump

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

sharp tap with hammer or similar had an issue with mine if it does,nt work u have not lost anything:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I cannot find any wires amongst the taps.

The pump is a Shurflow Trail King 7. 2095 - 204 - 413 Model no. 7

Diaphragm pump
that should turn off, electrically isolated, a couple of seconds after the tap is closed...no power...no noise, no hum.
if the pressure switch had failed the pump would pulse, not hum.

are you sure its the pump making the hum and not the charger etc ?

if you can reach the pump pull off one of the wires and see if the hum stops...if it does its got me baffled :Doh:

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
that should turn off, electrically isolated, a couple of seconds after the tap is closed...no power...no noise, no hum.
if the pressure switch had failed the pump would pulse, not hum.

are you sure its the pump making the hum and not the charger etc ?

if you can reach the pump pull off one of the wires and see if the hum stops...if it does its got me baffled :Doh:

The noise is almost certainly coming from the pump - I can feel it vibrate when it is turned on and the noise stops when I take the fuse out. I can see 2 12v feeds (or at least two red wires going into it but can't remove the without much more work to get it off the side wall and into a better situation. The 12v charger type thing is immediately in front of it and holds the fuse for the water plus fuses for other things. It appears to be silent.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
back fill it with a hose onto a tap

Would that give a similar result as sucking on the pipe which I tried earlier. I'm happy to try but would be pleased to understand more other advantage of this method.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
might be remove pump amd dismantle it . they do gum up sometimes . i had to strip mine down once . just found i cleaned it alland put it back together and it worked .
very occasinally i need to suck on the ytaps but cant say when . if it doesnt prime it normally cures it . keep saying i must carry a spare as its 13 yr old and i normally live in it every winter so mines had a hard life .
but try a strip and clean .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you can buy a service kit for the pump including diaphragm and seals. strip it down and fit the new parts to service/recondition the pump

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back