Where to go France (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Off to France in the very near future. Been a couple of times but would love some reccomenations. We seem to miss some of the good spots. Aires or sites that are within walking distance of civilisation. Eg restaurants,bars, shops. Did honfleur and le crotoy last year so any similar ideas very welcome. Many thanks.
Lin

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What kind of things do you like doing? Mountains, rivers, beaches? Wildlife, countryside or cities?

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Rivers, beaches, wildlife. Definitely not cities but a bit of civilisation within walking, cycling distance.
Lin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We like the Dordogne area - lovely castles, villages etc and the river is fun to swim in. Some civilisation - some of which is prehistoric. No recommendations on food - we are rarely eat out when travelling.

We also like the Pyrenees for hiking.

Apr 25, 2013
Bexhill-on-sea
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
Do you have any area of France in mind? If you travel from Dover then there are some great aires in the Champaign region and the Burgundy region Do you have the book "All The Aires France"? If so what year is it? I will then give you the appropriate numbers (and some info) of the Aires I think are best (they changed the numbering last year).

Have fun,

Bob

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We have no set plans of where to go as yet. We will have almost 3 months and have this years all the aires.

Lin

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If I had three autumn months to tour France it would probably be easier to work out where I wouldn't go.

I would probably keep well away from Normandy (too rainy) and the north coast (too windy), and might confine myself to only a brief look at Brittany (nice but with UK-type weather). I would steer well clear of Paris and its Boulevard Peripherique (traffic), and if visiting Paris I'd go for a campsite on the edge (ie Maisons Lafitte) and commute in by RER/Metro train. I'm not mad keen on the middle bit of the Mediterranean coast between the Camargue and Perpignan (modern resorts), or the big flash Eastern places like Nice, Cannes, or Monaco (don't like busy Rivieras). I personally wouldn't be that bothered with the bit bordering along the Rhine above Basel in Autumn due to weather, but it would definitely get my attention in summer.

I'd probably spend the time exploring the central southern bit which I don't know very well, and revisiting the south western bit from La Rochelle downwards which I know well and love. The Pyrenees border with Spain also looked interesting when we passed through. I'd definitely stay in the southern half, below Limoges and Lyons at that time of the year - that's for sure.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Can't remember when it last rained here ... I seem to recall we did have a shower in the middle of the night about 3 weekends ago, but not enough to not have to water the veg. Last rain during daylight was end of July ... for about an hour and a half. And the temp has been 25 to 33c for ages .... :winky:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If the weather is good, I would go to Normandy and Brittany - but only if the weather is good. Then down the west coast and Loire towards the Dordogne. Then to the Bordeaux vineyards and into the Pyrenees (stopping at Carcassonne). This could take approx 6 weeks.

Then into Northern Spain for a couple of weeks (I would actually spend much longer here but you stated France as your destination). Then across the Millau bridge and towards Provence for some classical inspiration amongst Roman ruins, stopping along the south coast to see the flamingos on the way.

Finishing with a drive up the western Alps and into the champagne region.

I would also have a theme such as culinary events and try and route the trip around things such as truffle hunting, cider pressing, wild boar hunting and eating etc. plus grape picking if not too late.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Don't forget to look at the Limousin, one of the most beautiful areas of France, with forests and lakes everywhere. If you like chateaux you can follow the Route Richard Coeur de Lion; if you seek experiences there is the martyr village of Oradour sur Glane and locally here there are hiding places of the maquis resistance; there is cycling on an old railway line that has a tarmac surface to village/towns and our village has a great bar/restaurant.::bigsmile:

Wherever you go have a great time.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

So many great aires and places to visit in France. When heading to Normandy / Brittany we often stop on the aire at La Mailleraye Sur Seine, right by the river and easy walking distance to nice town with all you need.

Paul

Attachments

• Seine.JPG
    Seine.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 27
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Can't remember when it last rained here ... I seem to recall we did have a shower in the middle of the night about 3 weekends ago, but not enough to not have to water the veg. Last rain during daylight was end of July ... for about an hour and a half. And the temp has been 25 to 33c for ages .... :winky:

Just about the same here! While I was away , my mum came once for the rain ...to clear the garage as I get easily flooded, but she said , lots of lightenings and thunder but just a few drops!

I have to watch out the toddlers if going in the garden as the soil is full of large cracks due to dryness!! they could twist their feet in!!

It's one of the hotest places at the moment in France . Today it will be 30° in the afternoon.

Lindylou, here is again the link I have put more than once, just in case you want to write down the names of all the places it suggests you to visit...and if not interested well there will always be someone who didn't see it, especially among the newbies. Don't forget to turn the sound on!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43CxsLBIzlw"]GRANDS SITES DE MIDI-PYRÉNÉES - LE FILM - YouTube[/ame]

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
My advice to everyone is if you are seeking 'must see places' I can thoroughly recommend Puy Du Fou, not far from Cholet. I am raving about it to everyone.* :thumb:
Allow 2 days as it can't easily be done in one!
It has a huge aire next to it.
Wyn

http://www.puydufou.com/en/

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Off to France in the very near future. Been a couple of times but would love some reccomenations. We seem to miss some of the good spots. Aires or sites that are within walking distance of civilisation. Eg restaurants,bars, shops. Did honfleur and le crotoy last year so any similar ideas very welcome. Many thanks.
Lin

I love the Roman south. Pont du Gard, Nimes, Avignon, Orange etc.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
All true

Don't forget to look at the Limousin, one of the most beautiful areas of France, with forests and lakes everywhere. If you like chateaux you can follow the Route Richard Coeur de Lion; if you seek experiences there is the martyr village of Oradour sur Glane and locally here there are hiding places of the maquis resistance; there is cycling on an old railway line that has a tarmac surface to village/towns and our village has a great bar/restaurant.::bigsmile:

Wherever you go have a great time.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Its all true but Bob missed out the lovely weather, clean air and peaceful surroundings.
We are here now and its lovely :thumb::thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We are heading on down to the Parc next week, stopping at Le Crotoy and Honfleur on the way. Looking forward to it and will keep an eye out for fellow Funsters en route.

Brisey.

My advice to everyone is if you are seeking 'must see places' I can thoroughly recommend Puy Du Fou, not far from Cholet. I am raving about it to everyone.* :thumb:
Allow 2 days as it can't easily be done in one!
It has a huge aire next to it.
Wyn

http://www.puydufou.com/en/

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We are heading on down to the Parc next week, stopping at Le Crotoy and Honfleur on the way. Looking forward to it and will keep an eye out for fellow Funsters en route.

Brisey.

Let us know what you think of it.
Be sure to catch the sceniecine night time show - in addition to the Puy Du Fou night show . It's incredible. So that means being there for at least two nights!

Wyn

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Will do Wyn, we hope to arrive there on the Friday and will start heading back on the following Monday. This will give us two full days and three nights to see all there is. We have been fortunate in being given two tickets for the Parc from someone who was unable to go there earlier in the year, they are still valid. We will have to purchase tickets for the ScenieCine as they have expired. How far from the Parc entrance is the aire ??

Brisey.

Let us know what you think of it.
Be sure to catch the sceniecine night time show - in addition to the Puy Du Fou night show . It's incredible. So that means being there for at least two nights!

Wyn

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Brisey.

Hi Brisey, we had a day at Puy du Fou last year and are heading down that way again later this week and hoping to see the evening shows.

I have been trying to fathom out the dates on their website but it looks like there are only a few days they are open during September so we may miss out if we arrive at the wrong time
:cry:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Brian & Joyce, as far as i can make out the Cinescenie Show is scheduled for Friday 13th and Saturday 14th September. This is the weekend we shall be there so fingers crossed that I am reading things right. These appear to be the last shows of the year, the Parc closes for the winter at the end of September.

Brisey.

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
Don't forget the bay of Biscay if you like beaches, Biarritz and St Jean de Luz well worth a visit.

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Brian & Joyce, as far as i can make out the Cinescenie Show is scheduled for Friday 13th and Saturday 14th September. This is the weekend we shall be there so fingers crossed that I am reading things right. These appear to be the last shows of the year, the Parc closes for the winter at the end of September.

Brisey.

Yes thanks Brian, that's how I saw it .... have you booked for the Cinescenie or are you just taking a chance?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Yes thanks Brian, that's how I saw it .... have you booked for the Cinescenie or are you just taking a chance?

We do not have tickets for the Cinescenie,:Sad: we hope to be able to purchase them when we arrive.:winky: If not we will just have to return again next year.:RollEyes:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Will do Wyn, we hope to arrive there on the Friday and will start heading back on the following Monday. This will give us two full days and three nights to see all there is. We have been fortunate in being given two tickets for the Parc from someone who was unable to go there earlier in the year, they are still valid. We will have to purchase tickets for the ScenieCine as they have expired. How far from the Parc entrance is the aire ??

Brisey.

It's a very short walk. The aire is parallel with the site's hotel complex. There is a shuttle bus between the aire and parc entrance but not sure what hours it runs. According to the blurb it runs on Sceniecine evenings but we caught it in a morning. Tried looking on streetview but the aire must be too recent - it just shows as a field..Is distance a problem?

Wyn

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Not a problem Wyn, just asking out of curiosity. Thanks for your advice it is much appreciated.

Brisey.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Link Removed, including aire details and hints and tips for getting round the parc.

A few quick points:

CineScenie is definitely worth it - I've described it before as Breughel on LSD. Your ticket allocates you to a row, not a seat. Arrive early and try to find somewhere central. Make sure you can stay waterproof without umbrellas if rain is likely, as they're banned.

All the shows are very entertaining, but The Ghost Birds' Ball is unique - don't pass it by.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Henry VIII vs Francis I (Camp du Drap d'Or) themed banquet in the middle of the day, but if you want to get into any of those you need to book as soon as the parc gates open as hotel guests get priority.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Just about the same here! While I was away , my mum came once for the rain ...to clear the garage as I get easily flooded, but she said , lots of lightenings and thunder but just a few drops!

I have to watch out the toddlers if going in the garden as the soil is full of large cracks due to dryness!! they could twist their feet in!!

It's one of the hotest places at the moment in France . Today it will be 30° in the afternoon.

Lindylou, here is again the link I have put more than once, just in case you want to write down the names of all the places it suggests you to visit...and if not interested well there will always be someone who didn't see it, especially among the newbies. Don't forget to turn the sound on!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

GRANDS SITES DE MIDI-PYRÉNÉES - LE FILM - YouTube

I knew I loved France for a reason. Really can't wait to get another MH and set off to some of these places:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back