Calgary Bay Isle of Mull (1 Viewer)

docted

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
On the west coast of Mull, leave Tobermory, aka Balamory on the B8073 sp Dervaig. 5 Miles beyong Dervaig is the village of Calgary continue through until you arrive at the public convenience. On the other side of the road is a large area suitable for wild camping. With a massive sandy beach and the toilets adjacent it is a wonderful spot when the weather is good, its not too bad when its raining. Big bonus here is the bus which will take you back over to Tobermory if required.

Highly recommended for a quiet breakaway from it all.

Docted

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Docted,

Agree with you that it is a lovely spot. There are some other parts on that road you can park up with no problem, and it is so peaceful. The drive through to the Lochaline Ferry is also very enjoyable, the only thing to watch for is the first cars off each ferry racing away:whatthe:.

OP
OP
docted

docted

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
The real fun thing to do is to drive through to Lochaline on a frosty morning and overtake the gritter! I believe it is called the Morvern Waltz!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
go to mull most years .found that this spot is getting well known now and can sometimes get very busy and nosey .also the tent area is not always used by tents thy set up next to your van for shade .we got fed up with nose last year and moved round coast ..that's up hill on your left looking out to sea..there are some lay bys looking on to sea on this road :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
£91.50 for us in summer.

sooner pay a bit more and go to france.:whatthe:

dont get me wrong, i've been to mull many times by car and motorbike and it is a magic island to visit.:thumb:

i have strong ties with mull as my baby daughter is buried in dervig.:Sad:

Very sorry to hear that John.:Sad:

I have problems trying to relate to that.God Bless her.

Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Calgary Bay Info/Photos

Hi

Drove past here new years eve 2009. The camping area was empty & frozen and you would never have gotten down/out in a motorhome.

There's a sign there detailing do's and dont's and some boulders positioned on the entry to prevent large motorhomes & caravans from staying. Toilets were open. There was a sign in the toilets saying 'dont empty chemical toilets, it blocks the septic tank'.

I took some pics:

Link Removed

Nigel

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
go to mull most years .found that this spot is getting well known now and can sometimes get very busy and nosey .also the tent area is not always used by tents thy set up next to your van for shade .we got fed up with nose last year and moved round coast ..that's up hill on your left looking out to sea..there are some lay bys looking on to sea on this road :thumb:

Why didnt you just switch your genny on :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

:Smile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
SH one T hole !!!

I was in Calgary Bay last year in September !!..It looked as if a herd of Itinerants had been there for the Summer !! Rubbish,condoms and whatever else you could think of just lying around the area..and rubbish bins easily within reach !! The toilets stank, I am at a loss for words !!!! I would not go there again !! The rest of Mull is beautiful beyond compare ! I have never seen so many eagles in one place, and as for stags, too many to count !! After you get off the Fishnish ferry, turn left and within a few minutes there is a forestry pic-nic site overlooking the Sound of Mull !!! Now that is a place to stay !!!
As for Itinerants...I don't do PC so comments will be ignored.....:swear::moon2::censored:2

keithfal

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Worcester area
Funster No
MH
C class Ducato LP
Exp
36 months
wild camping Inner Hebrides

Planning a trip to Mull, Coll and Tiree in May. Wondering if anybody helpful hints about resupplying with water and disposing of grey water. Dont want to make myself unpopular!
Keith:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back