Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
How do you protect the carpets in your motorhome? At the moment we have loads of mats which drive me bonkers , tripping on them, always adjusting them plus they look horrible.
Anyone tried the self adhesive protector ? or any other idea's.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
our last van came with 'clingy' plastic film and we left it down until it got too grubby.

Expensive stuff but Aldi have it as a special from time totime at a very reasonable price.
only other real option is a scotchguard fibre treatment at great cost.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Take em out and use the vinyl floor covering!

Our carpets are in the house, under the spare bed, never been used!::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Our carpets from the van are in the loft.

They look very nice when down, but are a pain to keep clean, especially when on muddy, wet, sandy sites etc..

As and when we sell the van I will put them back in situ....

::bigsmile:

Apr 25, 2013
Bexhill-on-sea
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
After 3 years we have now taken ours out and stored in house; should have done it when brand new. I am going to cut a piece of gash carpet for the rear/lounge area just for comfort and sound deadening.

Bob

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We cut out some cheap plain cord ribbed carpet for ours - dark grey but many colours available - neat, looks like original fitting. When it gets too tatty just cut and trim another length to fit. Mind you, it's been in place for a couple of years now and still looks good. It's easy to cut to shape - length of wood etc. and a Stanley blade. It stays put well.
We bought a few metres of it for future use, for about £11...

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
original carpets are in the loft, still with plastic covers on etc.

We only used them as a template for a local carpet firm to knock up another set. Cost less than £100, which included whipped edges. When these get too dirty etc, will simply use originals as templates for another set.

You will more than get your money back when trading in for another van if yours still has brand new carpets etc, as the van will be easier to sell by the dealers.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, have to agree. It's so easy to sweep/mop that small area of vinyl and although we never had any carpet in ours we wouldn't want it.

Wyn
Take em out and use the vinyl floor covering!

Our carpets are in the house, under the spare bed, never been used!::bigsmile:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Mine has fitted carpet, so when we had the stairs and a bedroom carpeted, we had a load of off-cuts and as they were a suitable colour I have cut to shape and put them on top of the original carpet, then when I sell it I can take them out, looks good to . plus they do not move about like the loose mats used to.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I'm afraid we seem to be in a minority here. We have always used the carpets in our vans, even though we have vinyl cushion floor underneath. We have a Vax carpet washer and use Bissel fluid with scotchguard. Carpets come up as good as new every time.
I don't see the point of not using the carpets except when you sell the van. That's just one step away from taking out all the seats or having thick plastic covers on the cushions.
I'll get me coat.......
Allan

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We have 2 views.

I like the carpets down, the van feels warmer and cosier and looks much more inviting. Personally I cannot see the point in just putting them in the loft.

BUT

My better half thinks it is easier to clean the van without the carpets down.

So guess what happens???

You are right, the carpets get left at home!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I'm afraid we seem to be in a minority here. We have always used the carpets in our vans, even though we have vinyl cushion floor underneath. We have a Vax carpet washer and use Bissel fluid with scotchguard. Carpets come up as good as new every time.
I don't see the point of not using the carpets except when you sell the van. That's just one step away from taking out all the seats or having thick plastic covers on the cushions.
I'll get me coat.......
Allan

Nope us too ! Have used the carpets since day one. Getting grubby now so will recarpet. Can't imagine it will be a deal breaker selling a 1999 van as long as the woodwork and all the rest is in good condition .

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
To answer the original OP question, you can buy sticky film that the decorators use to protect carpets. You can get huge rolls for about £25 on fleabay that should last you for years, assuming that you change it 3 or 4 times per year. I used it when we decorated the bedroom and hall landing and stairs and it lasts pretty well.

We have sectional removable carpets in our Adria, which we have taken up, except for the bedroom.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Mine has fitted carpet, so when we had the stairs and a bedroom carpeted, we had a load of off-cuts and as they were a suitable colour I have cut to shape and put them on top of the original carpet, then when I sell it I can take them out, looks good to . plus they do not move about like the loose mats used to.

WOW! You've got stairs and a separate bedroom in your MH?? :whatthe::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
We have mats protecting the carpets but the mats get dirty so we have mats protecting the mats etc:ROFLMAO:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
We use additional mats made from carpet remants, whip edged. Tried all sorts to stop movement, grippy things, rubbery non-slip stuff; solution - cheap double sided tape. The cheap stuff isn't as good an adhesive so doesn't spoil the original carpet. Used it for a couple of years and nothing negative to say.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back