HGVs in France (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I currently have a thread running where I enquired about being flashed on a French speed camera and what to expect.
Now I find I have something else to think / worry about. On the "About-France.com" site I have found this, now does that means any of us over 3.5 tonnes, which I would guess is a lot of?

4. ► ► STRANGE GANTRIES SPANNING MAIN ROADS In recent months, hundreds of strange gantries have been erected over French roads. Contrary to popular belief, they are not average speed cameras, but HGV eco-tax cameras. As from July 2013, all HGVs, including foreign ones, will be liable to this new carbon tax, also being introduced in other European countries. From July, HGVs over 3.5 tonnes entering France must be equipped with an "Ecomouv" electronic box. Further information on getting boxes can be found here

I do recall seeing several of those gantries as mentioned in the article.
So have I also contravened the law requiring the fitting of a box for all HGVs entering France?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We have just come back from Spain and noted many of these new gantries, more than before and along the freee N roads.. Guessed it was maybe some form of speed / distance tracking but looks like if they cant sting you on tolls then they get tax off you for using main roads. !!
All mentions are for HGV / goods vehicles so we shoud be safe from that. :thumb:

Your vehicle is defined on your log book as a motorcaravan = camping car...The fact you may be over 3500kg and they use the words "private heavy goods" on the tax disc is just unfortunate because they dont have another class for our vehicles and the numbers are so small not worth DVLA starting a special class I guess.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think this issue has been discussed before on other forums, it seems that a motorhome, even if it taxed as PHGV ( over 3500) is not a goods vehicle so we are all exempt
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
It has been stated by the French authorities.
That this is for goods vehicles only.
I have a copy of this somewhere but only in Dutch.
The question was asked by our caravan/motorhome organisation here in Belgium.

Hope this helps

Mel

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
But forgot to mention they will fine you if you do not have the speed stickers on the motorhome forover 3.5t

They say:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Larby
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
But forgot to mention they will fine you if you do not have the speed stickers on the motorhome forover 3.5t

They say:ROFLMAO:

But not according to this???

Broken Link Removed

Only saw 1 Motorhome with stickers in 4 weeks

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Yep only for commercial vehicles . Stickers are required for motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes and cars and caravans too :thumb:

OP
OP
Larby
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Yep only for commercial vehicles . Stickers are required for motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes and cars and caravans too :thumb:

Extract below from the Caravan Club bulletin as per my previous posting.
I accept you may well be correct but it does not state "unless over 3.5 tonnes" so I assume it means exactly what it says, irrespective of weight/size?

Motorhomes travelling solo do not need to display any speed stickers.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I live 3kms from the N10, one of the most popular non autoroutes to Spain on this side of France.
My understanding is that HGv's traversing the non Autoroute main roads in France will be charged 25 cents per Km for their journeys on the National roads with the Gantrys.The box mentioned will be in the cab and charge automatically.
The last time I returned from Spain I saw these Gantrys I think below Bordeaux.
I believe at the last count we had 30,000 trucks a day on this road,can see no difference at present in volume and did read in the French paper was due to start about now.
Would be nice for me to see less trucks on this road as at present in my area,there are many 80kph lengths on the N10 with nose to tail convoys all stuck at the same speed and very reluctant to back off even slightly to let you join from a slip road,I am an ex HGV driver and realise their frustration but sometimes they will close the already small gap making manoeuvres dangerous.
Incidentally while in this vein more and more of these signs are appearing with the 80kph signs for over 3.5 tonnes.A French friend has told me the technology for the new speed cameras can differentiate between HGv's and other vehicles to the extent that could include Camping cars.I cannot find any government conformation of this but have noticed some larger Rv's sitting in the lines of trucks.

Just as an aside what is this toll going to do but further cause inflation,all the trucks passing here are from Coming from Spain or Portugal,fetching fruit,vegetables,cars etc,to France and the rest of europe and at €!! cost increase ??:Eeek:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
But not according to this???

Broken Link Removed

Only saw 1 Motorhome with stickers in 4 weeks

And he was probably a Brit. ::bigsmile:

Thanks for the memo from the CC. Most informative. I wonder how long it'll be before the French authorities change their minds again - I'll go with the stickers, methinks. :RollEyes:

John

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Extract below from the Caravan Club bulletin as per my previous posting.
I accept you may well be correct but it does not state "unless over 3.5 tonnes" so I assume it means exactly what it says, irrespective of weight/size?

Motorhomes travelling solo do not need to display any speed stickers.

Must be true if the Caravan Club say so :ROFLMAO:

Palmeat

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
OK - I'm dim and confused by contradictory info on line. I'm travelling to France for the first time later this month. 4250kgs MH with a Toyota IQ toad - so seems like there's a requirement for 80 + 90 stickers (but not clear if this is strictly the law for non-French residents or just common sense to avoid any possibility of grief?).
When towing a car, should the stickers be applied to the rear of the car (which would then be confusing when de-coupled) or to the upper left of the MH, so visible from rear.
What's the practical view, please?
Thanks for any advice/experienced views.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
OK - I'm dim and confused by contradictory info on line. I'm travelling to France for the first time later this month. 4250kgs MH with a Toyota IQ toad - so seems like there's a requirement for 80 + 90 stickers (but not clear if this is strictly the law for non-French residents or just common sense to avoid any possibility of grief?).
When towing a car, should the stickers be applied to the rear of the car (which would then be confusing when de-coupled) or to the upper left of the MH, so visible from rear.
What's the practical view, please?
Thanks for any advice/experienced views.

The law does not apply to foreign registered vehicles. However, no-one has told the police this. So either put the stickers on (soon you'll need 15 sets for every EU member), or argue with a french policeman at 3am who doesn't speak english.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back