LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Had air suspension fitted to our WildAx Aurora on Wednesday - WOW what a difference it makes to the ride! Handles much better going over speed humps too!

First class service at AS Air Suspension as usual! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Calm down Little Sis... just because you can now roar about the place like your namesake doesn't mean you have to!

(It is brilliant isn't it? Totally changed the Wagon for the better too.)

JJ :Cool:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Yes Marie A.S fitted it to our Rapido a couple of weeks back and the difference is remarkable especially over potholed roads and drift when being overtaken on motorways.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Looks like all the best people are having a.s. fitted, :thumb: did mine last week but not had a long drive to test it yet. Tomorrow we are of to Falkirk then a trial run South to see how it performs. Must find some speed bumps to test it on, got to sort that out before going South for the winter. :whatthe: :ROFLMAO:

Unsure yet as to what is the best pressure to use, anybody going to commit themselves on the best system to set it up correctly?

Just seen it's Rex's birthday, was that his present? :ROFLMAO: :party2:
:beer: have one with us Rex.​

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
As of yet I keep ours on 2 bar, if I happen to find some nice smooth motorways in France next week I may tweek it up to 2-1/4 ish to see what effect it has on other vehicle bow waves.

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Unsure yet as to what is the best pressure to use, anybody going to commit themselves on the best system to set it up correctly?

We had it fitted on the Knaus too and we had ours set at 3.5 to 4.5 - depending on the weight we were carrying.

It's also useful when levelling on a campsite! :winky::winky:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
I edited my last post Marie, show Rex ::bigsmile:

Got mine on 2 bar but I would assume as we load up for the long drive at more weight it should be somewhat higher?

If you put them up higher will the weight reduce? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
As of yet I keep ours on 2 bar, if I happen to find some nice smooth motorways in France next week I may tweek it up to 2-1/4 ish to see what effect it has on other vehicle bow waves.

Did Phil at AS suggest a lowest pressure for the system?

The only reason I mention it is, if I remember correctly, I was advised to go no lower than around 2.5 bar as the air bags can be damaged below this.

Maybe your system is not the same as mine so the lower pressure may be ok.

Brian

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Probably ours is different as it is fitted to the Alko chassis and Phil at A.S. recommended about 2 bar

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Did Phil at AS suggest a lowest pressure for the system?

The only reason I mention it is, if I remember correctly, I was advised to go no lower than around 2.5 bar as the air bags can be damaged below this.

Maybe your system is not the same as mine so the lower pressure may be ok.

Brian

Minimum pressure no lower than 0.5 bar as stated in the Dunlop information leaflet.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Minimum pressure no lower than 0.5 bar as stated in the Dunlop information leaflet.

I didn't receive any such leaflet but was advised by Phil when he fitted it.

Apparently if you hit a pot hole or such like with a very low pressure the air bags can be pinched and split but as said your systems may be different.

Ours is fitted on a Alko chassis but I will call AS on Monday to check their recommendation.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
A misunderstanding here. I was talking about the minimum when not travelling you were clearly recommended a safe travelling pressure which I thought would depend on the weight you are carrying. Maybe your van is heavier and therefore a higher minimum would apply?

Marcle leisure, from where ours came, recommend a starting pressure of 30 lb (close to 2 bar) then adjust as you get the feel of the ride, but no minimum pressure stated.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just for interest this is a picture of our air suspension as fitted by A.S. to the Alko chassis not sure what make it is except it is not Dunlop and this is the one that Phil recommended about 2 bar running pressure

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996

Alan,

Are you on Alko torsion bar suspension or Fiat springs?

Regards,

Mike

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Would air suspension help mitigate weight? (Motorbike rack fitted).
Thks

No ... the air assisted suspension which is discussed in this thread makes no difference to your plated weights but helps give a more stable ride, particularly in cross winds. In your case it would help with any swaying motion caused by your bike.

In my case I had it fitted more to give some lift to the rear end increasing clearance over road humps etc. than for stability.

Brian

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
No ... the air assisted suspension which is discussed in this thread makes no difference to your plated weights but helps give a more stable ride, particularly in cross winds.

In my case I had it fitted more to give some lift to the rear end increasing clearance over road humps etc. than for stability.

Brian

Not just true----I had mine fitted along with 225 instead of 215 tyres to get it re-plated to 3850Kg and more importantly to get the rear axle load from 2000Kg to 2240Kg

The improved ride was just a big bonus

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Not just true----I had mine fitted along with 225 instead of 215 tyres to get it re-plated to 3850Kg and more importantly to get the rear axle load from 2000Kg to 2240Kg

The improved ride was just a big bonus
You are quite correct .... I was meaning it will make no difference to the plated weight unless he goes through the re-plating procedure as you have done.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Had air suspension fitted to our WildAx Aurora on Wednesday - WOW what a difference it makes to the ride! Handles much better going over speed humps too!

First class service at AS Air Suspension as usual! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Knowing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about such things, but eager to learn, how much does this sort of thing cost Maie??

Catherine

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Knowing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about such things, but eager to learn, how much does this sort of thing cost Maie??

Catherine

I'm not Marie ::bigsmile: But it depends on your ability with such motor technical things.

Fit yourself £375 ish, pay for it to be fitted £600 ish you pays your money and takes your pick.

But as Alan said you can uprate your MTPM with AS fitted and your rear axle max load which gives you more payload, but it has to be done correctly, via SV-TECH for instance.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
You are quite correct .... I was meaning it will make no difference to the plated weight unless he goes through the re-plating procedure as you have done.

Hello. My camper is plated at 4000kgs and i'm convinced that I will be alright on overall weight. My real comcern is that the m/bike on the rack will make my front-drive lighter than I would feel comfortable with. I was hoping that perhaps air suspension would help by lifting the rear axle more and thereby pushing down more on the front. Is this too simple a theory?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hello. My camper is plated at 4000kgs and i'm convinced that I will be alright on overall weight. My real comcern is that the m/bike on the rack will make my front-drive lighter than I would feel comfortable with. I was hoping that perhaps air suspension would help by lifting the rear axle more and thereby pushing down more on the front. Is this too simple a theory?

If with the bike on the back your front end is lightened to any great extent then I recon you would probably be overloaded on the back axle due to the leverage effect of the weight on the rear rack.

The only way to check this out correctly is to weigh each axle on a weighbridge in a fully laden condition including everything you would carry when traveling, not forgetting fuel, water,fridge, passengers and pets.

If the bridge weights fall within your plated figures then talk to someone like AS Air Suspension for a solution to improve vehicle handling. However if the results show you to be overloaded you will need to talk with SvTech Ltd or similar to uprate your plate weights.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back