Dog related injury?!! Claim or not? (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
A few weeks ago I posted that I had injured my ankle on a pitch marker post whilst evading a dog that was running free on a Caravan Club Site in Scotland.

Well, it turns out that I have a complete rupture of my Achilles tendon and what I thought was hitting my ankle against a post turns out to be the tendon breaking!

Just to remind; I went outside at 06:45 to look at the sea and the sunrise when a pug dog came flying at me from under the van trying to snap at my heals and toes.

I'm currently in a temporary plaster and will find out Monday whether or not I will have surgical or non surgical treatment. Either way I'm not going to be going to Spain in October as planned or anywhere else for that matter...at least not in the motor home!

So I'm sitting here feeling bloody angry and annoyed. At 61 I wanted to be out there as much as possible not sitting about at home and all because some thoughtless individual failed to keep their dog under control.

So, do I have a gripe with the Caravan Club? Unfortunately the dog did a convenient disappearing act immediately after the event. It was however all reported to the warden.

So my entire life is now on hold and I am struggling about the house on crutches and yes I am so bloody angry as all our plans are on an indefinite hold!

Do I have any claim? I cannot make one against the individual dog owner as I have no idea who they might be. Do I have any claim against the Caravan Club? I'm thinking it's there responsibility to ensure that rules are followed and dogs are kept under control.

Enough ranting...what do you think? :Sad:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You could raise an issue with the Club, they might change their post arrangement or even give you a free week somewhere.

As far as sueing goes, I think some things are just down to the knocks and bangs of life. It is hard to stop a dog protecting it's property from some strange man coming towards it. If it was not on a leash or on a post, then you have a negligence claim against the owner.

I would just put it down to knocks of life to be honest. If you are lucky, you may get a week free somewhere through the club as an apology which may be more enjoyable than a legal wrangle.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What is it you are aftet an apology or money. I think the likelihood is that you will not get either put it down to experience and concentrate on getting well asap:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
What is it you are aftet an apology or money. I think the likelihood is that you will not get either put it down to experience and concentrate on getting well asap:thumb:

Well I guess money for an 'accident' that was not of my making. If the dog had been tethered as per caravan club regulations then this 'accident' would not have happened. The animal was invading my pitch at the time and it shouldn't have been there.

I'm retired, so no loss of income, but I'm very active so my whole quality of life has been reduced and as far as I am concerned through no result of something I've done myself.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Dogs / Posts

So after all that it wan't anything to do with the marker post at all. It's a rotten shame that you got this injury, but equally you might have got it running from a wasp, or anything else.

I am sure the dog owner (and probably the dog) would be horrified that you were injured but neither of them intended or foresaw it and you chances of claiming compensation from the owner, if they could be identified are nil I expect. Equally you could not possibly hold the Club or it's agents responsible.

As has been said, you will just have to put it down to experience and move on. It was an accident.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
It's all very easy for us to say oh it's only an injury get on with it when it's not our lives that has been disrupted and our plans that are being put on hold I can see no harm in asking for legal advice on this one. If it is down to just one of those things well at least you will have found out and at least move on with out wondering could I have.

I hope it doesn't take too long before you are on the mend and up and about again enjoying your motorhome.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
So after all that it wan't anything to do with the marker post at all. It's a rotten shame that you got this injury, but equally you might have got it running from a wasp, or anything else.

I am sure the dog owner (and probably the dog) would be horrified that you were injured but neither of them intended or foresaw it and you chances of claiming compensation from the owner, if they could be identified are nil I expect. Equally you could not possibly hold the Club or it's agents responsible.

As has been said, you will just have to put it down to experience and move on. It was an accident.

Well I wouldn't run from a wasp!

A good few years ago I broke my wrist due to slipping on damp grass whilst wearing flip flops. That was entirely my fault for not wearing adequate footwear.

In this instance I was being attacked by a dog that should have been tethered on a Caravan Club site...I'm sorry, I see this as an avoidable situation and not an 'accident'

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well I guess money for an 'accident' that was not of my making. If the dog had been tethered as per caravan club regulations then this 'accident' would not have happened. The animal was invading my pitch at the time and it shouldn't have been there.

I'm retired, so no loss of income, but I'm very active so my whole quality of life has been reduced and as far as I am concerned through no result of something I've done myself.
The dog in question could have belonged to a local household and entered the site without the owners concent. What if it had been a rabbit or a small deer who jumped the fence. How can the owners of the site be responsible.

We have to take a certain amount of care and responsibility in any everyday activity, walking running or even standing looking at the sea. As we get older trips and falls become more common. Perhaps a hiking pole or similar would give you that extra security when on uneven ground. :thumb:

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
The dog in question could have belonged to a local household and entered the site without the owners concent. What if it had been a rabbit or a small deer who jumped the fence. How can the owners of the site be responsible.

We have to take a certain amount of care and responsibility in any everyday activity, walking running or even standing looking at the sea. As we get older trips and falls become more common. Perhaps a hiking pole or similar would give you that extra security when on uneven ground. :thumb:

It did not belong to a local household...none for miles! It was someone who should not have let the dog off a leash whilst walking it or a lazy owner who not bothering to take the dog out at 6;30 in the morning had just opened the door and let it run free! Give me 20 rabbits any day, never had one of them had a go at me!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
It's all very easy for us to say oh it's only an injury get on with it when it's not our lives that has been disrupted and our plans that are being put on hold I can see no harm in asking for legal advice on this one. If it is down to just one of those things well at least you will have found out and at least move on with out wondering could I have.

I hope it doesn't take too long before you are on the mend and up and about again enjoying your motorhome.

Thankyou Carol...first bit of sympathy I've had :cry:

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
I dont think you have a claim, if you had got the owners name and address maybe you could have claimed against them. As I understand it, the C.C. rules are that dogs should be on a lead at all times, therefore they can say the owner was at fault for not following the rules. ( Due Diligence)
Another point is how do you know the dog decended from an occupant staying on the site? it may have strayed onto the C.C. property? :Eeek:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Whatever happens,it may cause the Caravan Club to think about positioning of the marker posts.
Have you had professional advice,before proceeding?

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
It's sad you are injured. And I hope you get well soon.
I'm afraid I just see this as an accident. No claim. The dog didn't actually attack (bite) you did it?
Sadly I think you're more a victim of the claim culture rather than a dog attack.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
It's sad you are injured. And I hope you get well soon.
I'm afraid I just see this as an accident. No claim. The dog didn't actually attack (bite) you did it?
Sadly I think you're more a victim of the claim culture rather than a dog attack.

Mmmm, so by the same logic, someone pulls a gun on you but doesn't shoot, thats not a crime? :RollEyes:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It is unfortunate that this happened to you and I am sure we all sympathise, however the buzz word here is 'victim'

You are the victim of circumstance, life can be like that (fair or not:Sad:). I think you missed your window of opportunity to do anything about it. I suspect that any grievance you might have would be with the dog owner and now it is (probably) too late.

As difficult and unfair as it seems it is probably better for you to just 'let it go', then you can get on with enjoying the rest of your life:Smile:

If you feel that 'something' needs to be done then maybe have a word with the CC but don't hold your breath.

Cheers anyway :Smile:

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Having solicited the advice of this forum you seem to prefer to slap down any of suggestions that have being offered.

Why don't you pay get expert advice and stop disrespecting the free and sympathetic opinions you are getting here!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
It is unfortunate that this happened to you and I am sure we all sympathise, however the buzz word here is 'victim'

You are the victim of circumstance, life can be like that (fair or not:Sad:). I think you missed your window of opportunity to do anything about it. I suspect that any grievance you might have would be with the dog owner and now it is (probably) too late.

As difficult and unfair as it seems it is probably better for you to just 'let it go', then you can get on with enjoying the rest of your life:Smile:

If you feel that 'something' needs to be done then maybe have a word with the CC but don't hold your breath.

Cheers anyway :Smile:

Thanks for that...and I totally agree with all you have said. Despite how it might appear I'm not the kind of person to chase some kind of huge compensation claim. On the day it happened, I did report it to the warden but recall saying to her I didn't want her to go looking for the owner or cause any fuss.

I just wanted to get a handle on what other folk thought; I will have a grumble to the CC and hope that I might get a refund on the rest of this years subs! :RollEyes: or maybe a few days on a site somewhere, maybe in southern Spain :thumb:

I'm generally a very positive thinking person and once I get some kind of idea about a recovery time I will be planning our next trip!

In the meantime, I always have the laptop and fellow funsters to while away the hours with :thumb:

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Mmmm, so by the same logic, someone pulls a gun on you but doesn't shoot, thats not a crime? :RollEyes:

Logic does not come into it. Dogs do not commit crime with guns, people do. Criminal intent does not form in the mind of a dog as it does in humans

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks for that...and I totally agree with all you have said. Despite how it might appear I'm not the kind of person to chase some kind of huge compensation claim. On the day it happened, I did report it to the warden but recall saying to her I didn't want her to go looking for the owner or cause any fuss.

I just wanted to get a handle on what other folk thought; I will have a grumble to the CC and hope that I might get a refund on the rest of this years subs! :RollEyes: or maybe a few days on a site somewhere, maybe in southern Spain :thumb:

I'm generally a very positive thinking person and once I get some kind of idea about a recovery time I will be planning our next trip!

In the meantime, I always have the laptop and fellow funsters to while away the hours with :thumb:

I am not without sympathy, but why should the CC refund you anything for a matter which was totally outside their control, there are adequate rules on sites so that dog owners are aware that dogs should be on leads. Its not the CC's fault the dog either got off it's lead, escaped from a camper/motorhome or trespassed on the site., possibly without the knowledge of it's owner. In fact you cannot say for certain where the dog came from, you do not mention seeing it on the site either before or after the event. No sir, in this you are barking up the wrong tree.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry about the injury and hope it heals soon.

However, I don't think there could be any grounds or a claim against the CC because it would be very difficult to prove negligence in either design/placing of the marker post or in enforcing the rules.

It definitely seems to be a case of negligence on the part of the dog owner though. The thing should have been on a lead and under control. The fact that it was on somebody else's pitch indicates that it wasn't defending its own area but simply acting aggressively.

It's a pity (though understandable in the circumstances) that the owner wasn't identified because there is every likelihood that the irresponsible idiot will allow his animal to attack somebody else in future. If the owner had been identified he/she could have been banned from CC sites sine die.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I am not without sympathy

Really? Which bit have I missed?

there are adequate rules on sites so that dog owners are aware that dogs should be on leads. Its not the CC's fault the dog either got off it's lead, escaped from a camper/motorhome or trespassed on the site., possibly without the knowledge of it's owner. In fact you cannot say for certain where the dog came from, you do not mention seeing it on the site either before or after the event.

Yes there are rules and this particular dog owner chose to ignore them

If the dog 'escaped' then that surely puts the owner responsible?

Yes, we both saw a Pug on the site, just a few pitches away as it happened, but being a reasonable kinda fella I chose not to go and challenge them as it was possibly not the same dog

No sir, in this you are barking up the wrong tree.
:ROFLMAO:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Yes I do sympathise and understand your anger, hope you get better as soon as possible.

I myself am injured by a dog, 9 months ago, I was talking to friends on the local park, not realising this dog was running full belt after another dog, when it hit my knee and knocked me sideways on to the ground, I couldn`t get up and had to be helped, situation now is I am having an MRI Scan on the 12th of Sept, with a view to an operation, torn ligaments and cartilage problem, so I am in a similar situation to you, I have put it down to experience , an accident, I am angry yes, as it has stopped me driving long distances, plus my husband has had major surgery and cannot drive at all, so we are in a bit of a mess really, especially as now we have a funeral to get to which is a 450 mile round trip, how we will do that at this stage I have no idea, but we will get through it, after all what is the alternative. Keep your chin up, it could be worse.:thumb:

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Yes I do sympathise and understand your anger, hope you get better as soon as possible.

I myself am injured by a dog, 9 months ago, I was talking to friends on the local park, not realising this dog was running full belt after another dog, when it hit my knee and knocked me sideways on to the ground, I couldn`t get up and had to be helped, situation now is I am having an MRI Scan on the 12th of Sept, with a view to an operation, torn ligaments and cartilage problem, so I am in a similar situation to you, I have put it down to experience , an accident, I am angry yes, as it has stopped me driving long distances, plus my husband has had major surgery and cannot drive at all, so we are in a bit of a mess really, especially as now we have a funeral to get to which is a 450 mile round trip, how we will do that at this stage I have no idea, but we will get through it, after all what is the alternative. Keep your chin up, it could be worse.:thumb:

Oh Daisy Mae you have all my sympathy as well. It's hard enough just looking after yourself and when you get to 61, (that's me), you don't know what might be around the corner. It's just extra annoying when something happens that is due to somebody else's negligence, as in your case also. I hope your scan goes well and I hope someone come's to your rescue with the driving.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
My dogs escaped us once on a site to generally have a good run around and mad 5 minutes.They are two 3 year old Scotties.Thankfully they never attacked any body or knocked anyone to the ground :Eeek:. Has anyone given it a thought that this is what could have happened?People have little mishaps everyday and wind up in A&E, its all part of life .Hope your ankle heals rapidly and you get back at it.I really dont think you should be going down the route of pointing the finger at the CC,they put all the rules into place and its down to the members/non members to abide by them.Also i think a Pug dog off its lead is not a health and safety issue.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A set of these will not only keep you steady on your feet, they will act as a good weapon against unruly pugs.:winky:

Attachments

• 78402290_l.jpg
    78402290_l.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 4

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I am sorry you have a nasty injury I would write to the CC explaining and not expect them to do anything at all that way you will not be disappointed if you hear nothing from them.
I doubt they will take an attack by a PUG seriously I know you have a nasty injury but unless you are prepared for more hassle I would forget where there is an accident there is a claim merchants.
Do you have any kind of insurance for holidays? that may be worth looking into
We do have a few legal bods on here I would think one of those would give you some sound advice from a legal standpoint but can you stand the messing about that a claim usually brings only you can decide that

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My dogs escaped us once on a site to generally have a good run around and mad 5 minutes.They are two 3 year old Scotties.Thankfully they never attacked any body or knocked anyone to the ground :Eeek:. Has anyone given it a thought that this is what could have happened?People have little mishaps everyday and wind up in A&E, its all part of life .Hope your ankle heals rapidly and you get back at it.I really dont think you should be going down the route of pointing the finger at the CC,they put all the rules into place and its down to the members/non members to abide by them.Also i think a Pug dog off its lead is not a health and safety issue.

IT IS IF IT DEFICATES ON MY PITCH. To many irresponsible dog owners. Before you jump i used to have six dogs, mostly strays i rescued. BUSBY:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't think you have a claim against the Club.

You might have a claim against the owner but it happened in Scotland so it's Scottish law and jurisdiction so I really can't help with that.

I would just put it down to experience.

Sorry you are hurt , but I didn't half laugh when I read it was a pug attack:ROFLMAO:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Erm ,whose talking about dogs shiting on pitches.:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.