Newbie needs lots of help pleeeease (1 Viewer)

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Ford Golden Eagle Transit
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
I've just got a Ford based Golden Eagle motor home reg 1991 and it came with no manuals (except full service history) or instructions for anything. It's automatic, diesel and has an electric step at side. I'm a panicking disabled driver who dearly wants to travel but has no idea how to operate loo or anything else beyond basic driving. Any help warmly welcomed :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Lucy and welcome.

what you really need is a freindly funster in your area to show you how stuff works.

far too much detail involved to post on a forum.

you do need a little knowledge of the controls, what they look like and how they work to be able to make sense of anything which may be posted here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
PappaJohn ~ :thanks2:
I'm in Rainham Kent (usually) but tomorrow I'm going to be in Dorset for 10 days at Moreton camping & caravan site with van. If anyone would like a tea/coffee and could show me some basics for my new escape pod I'd be really grateful.
I've googled my motor home but just get pics of golden eagles! Does anyone know where I could possibly get a handbook from?

Lucy :helptitanic:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Lucy and welcome to the site.

If I was in your situation (which I was once) I would pay your subs on here so you don't run out of opportunities to post, then when you come across something you need help with, you can post a photo of it and help will be forthcoming, without doubt. There is so much knowledge on here you will soon be relaxed and enjoying you new purchase.

Chances are with a 1991 van, it may have had a few changes and modification over the years so a manual may not always provide the answer.

Happy travels
Sandra

Upvote 0

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Pity u our coming on holiday to our area just as we are off to France! We are fairly new too and still had difficulties even though we had a handover from seller and all the handbooks. We have found that other MHs on sites are all to happy to give you advice. Am sure that when you are at Moreton you will get help if you ask. Happy holiday::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
:thanks2:
Pity u our coming on holiday to our area just as we are off to France! We are fairly new too and still had difficulties even though we had a handover from seller and all the handbooks. We have found that other MHs on sites are all to happy to give you advice. Am sure that when you are at Moreton you will get help if you ask. Happy holiday::bigsmile:

:thanks2: Patch,
Hope you have a great time. Maybe we can meet another time, I was in Weymouth last year for a holiday (b&B) No more of those! :roflmto:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
Hi Lucy and welcome to the site.

If I was in your situation (which I was once) I would pay your subs on here so you don't run out of opportunities to post, then when you come across something you need help with, you can post a photo of it and help will be forthcoming, without doubt. There is so much knowledge on here you will soon be relaxed and enjoying you new purchase.

Chances are with a 1991 van, it may have had a few changes and modification over the years so a manual may not always provide the answer.

Happy travels
Sandra

:thanks2: Thanks Sandra, appreciate the heads up on subs. Missed that bit, will hunt up what to do :Smile:

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Welcome to the forum Lucy. If you ever find yourself up the coast near Whitstable with a problem, I'd be happy to help
Allan

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hi Lucy and welcome to the wonderful world of Funster motorhoming!

You will be surrounded by people who are only too happy to give you help and advice especially if you can get to any of our rallies.

Just do what I used to do when I used to travel solo. Stock up with tea, coffee and biscuits, stand outside your door with a screwdriver and a puzzled look on your face. I guarantee you will get a friendly offer of help within minutes :winky:

I have an older van too. I have manuals for the fridge etc; if anything matches yours, I will happily send you copies.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
Welcome to the forum Lucy. If you ever find yourself up the coast near Whitstable with a problem, I'd be happy to help
Allan

Thanks Allan, I have spent happy hours in Whitstable. I used to fly my European Eagle Owl there when he was a youngster. Increasing disability on my part means he now lives with friends on a croft on Isle of Skye. If I do have probs though I'll drop you a line and arrange to
come and see you and Whitstable :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
Hi Lucy and welcome to the wonderful world of Funster motorhoming!

You will be surrounded by people who are only too happy to give you help and advice especially if you can get to any of our rallies.

Just do what I used to do when I used to travel solo. Stock up with tea, coffee and biscuits, stand outside your door with a screwdriver and a puzzled look on your face. I guarantee you will get a friendly offer of help within minutes :winky:

I have an older van too. I have manuals for the fridge etc; if anything matches yours, I will happily send you copies.

Many thanks Janine, feeling a bit overwhelmed by my lack of knowledge :Eeek: I've decided to delay going to Dorset having spent most of today steam cleaning cushions :thumbdown: the toilet smells as though it's not been emptied which is unfortunate as the
instructions appear to be inside the lid!
I shall def try your advice ::bigsmile: may have to hide my travel companion:Smile:
Because I am solo (and will remain so) I have bought myself a seated 4' tall male mannequin. He has a beard, moustache and wig. He wears some of my late husbands clothes. Sunglasses & hat in warm weather. He is leaning slightly forward and at a passing glance gives every appearance of being a male passenger. At night he moves into the main
part of the van, when I'm not travelling he lives in my flat and again offers the illusion that I am not a lone female ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

BBQ Paul

Free Member
Aug 30, 2013
Byfleet, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Newbie 2013
I've just got a Ford based Golden Eagle motor home reg 1991 and it came with no manuals (except full service history) or instructions for anything. It's automatic, diesel and has an electric step at side. I'm a panicking disabled driver who dearly wants to travel but has no idea how to operate loo or anything else beyond basic driving. Any help warmly welcomed :Smile:

Hi Lucy,
Can't the person who sold it to you help you out?

Even though my vendor was brilliant you still walk away not knowing things. The good thing to remember is it is unlikely that when you have a problem that you are the only one with that problem or someone somewhere doesn't know the answer.

Google google google along with you tube will certainly break the back of your problems, such as the loo.

Never be afraid to ask on site. People seem reserved and quiet but are genuinely thrilled to be asked to help, they have got nothing else to do hee hee.

Relax, enjoy and take advantage of the singles/ widows etc groups...I think they have the best fun without any pressure on you at all to join in.

Take care.

Paul

Upvote 0

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
A book might help....

Hi Lucy,

In the absence of a Funster nearby, you could do worse that get a Haynes Motorhome Manual.... ebay. Amazon, local WH Smiths.... lots of information to give you a good grounding and answer some of the questions you might not think about until you're stuck.

I just looked on ebay and they seem to have two versions, both new, for £14 or £21.... not sure which is the latest but I'm sure either would do, or even a second hand one.

Simon

Attachments

• HaynesMotorhomeManual.jpg
    HaynesMotorhomeManual.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
Hi Lucy,
Can't the person who sold it to you help you out?

Even though my vendor was brilliant you still walk away not knowing things. The good thing to remember is it is unlikely that when you have a problem that you are the only one with that problem or someone somewhere doesn't know the answer.

Google google google along with you tube will certainly break the back of your problems, such as the loo.

Never be afraid to ask on site. People seem reserved and quiet but are genuinely thrilled to be asked to help, they have got nothing else to do hee hee.

Relax, enjoy and take advantage of the singles/ widows etc groups...I think they have the best fun without any pressure on you at all to join in.

Take care.

Paul

Thanks Paul.
The seller bought of someone who had the van for 10+ years, I don't think he asked too
many q's as he planned on selling it on. Also he's gone on holiday himself.
He brought the van from Wisbech for me arriving at 8 am and left by 8:10 !
I have bit by bit begun exploring the switches, found the lights yesterday :Smile:

Thanks for the heads up on groups too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
Hi Lucy,

In the absence of a Funster nearby, you could do worse that get a Haynes Motorhome Manual.... ebay. Amazon, local WH Smiths.... lots of information to give you a good grounding and answer some of the questions you might not think about until you're stuck.

I just looked on ebay and they seem to have two versions, both new, for £14 or £21.... not sure which is the latest but I'm sure either would do, or even a second hand one.

Simon

Thank you Simon, I'd forgotten all about Haynes manuals. I haven't had one for 20+ years.
Really appreciate this :Smile:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
smelly toilets can be a pain.

try this for a start.

make sure the blade in the bowl is closed (always close when not in use) then remove the cassette by opening the outside door/hatch..if the blade is open the cassette wont come out..there should be a flat handle, possibly yellow, at the lower edge of the cassette.
lift or press the lever and slid out the cassette....be careful as it may actually be (part)full and quite heavy.
if it has anything in it stand the cassette on end and remove the stopper on the swivelling tube and empty down your house toilet.
to empty faster, there should be a button on top at the opposite end...once tipped up press the button...DONT press then tip unless you like cleaning.

now its empty give it a couple of rinses with clean water.

now go buy a 2tr bottle of cheap, own brand, cola and a bag of ice cubes.

tip 1/2 the cola in and a couple of good handfuls of ice...put the stopper back on.

now give it a really good shake for a few minutes....press the top button a couple of times to release the pressure.

the ice should remove any stuck deposits and the cola will help break them down and clean the plastic.

empty out and replace the cassette.

now you need some toilet fluid...available at caravan stores/dealer, and occasionally at Aldi as a special buy
dont spill on clothing or hands, its very hard to clean off.

follow the directions on the container.

when emptying the cassette on campsites look for the sign saying ELSAN POINT or watch where other folks empty.
you shouldnt empty down a regular toilet except in real desperation because the chemicals effect the sewer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
::bigsmile: Hi I have been motorhoming for some time now ,and have just join this club 2 day ,and am disabled and have not looked back ,other motorhome people will help you without a problem :RollEyes: ,the toilet slides out on the out side and when cleaned and put back in I always put a spay to the open slider which helps it open and shut easy ,the spray you get from motorhome or caravan stores, :thumb: You are the first person I have sent a message to :)Blush:hope it makes sense to you or anybody lol :thumb:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LucyCaitlynW

LucyCaitlynW

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie of 2 days
::bigsmile: Hi I have been motorhoming for some time now ,and have just join this club 2 day ,and am disabled and have not looked back ,other motorhome people will help you without a problem :RollEyes: ,the toilet slides out on the out side and when cleaned and put back in I always put a spay to the open slider which helps it open and shut easy ,the spray you get from motorhome or caravan stores, :thumb: You are the first person I have sent a message to :)Blush:hope it makes sense to you or anybody lol :thumb:)

Many thanks, yes sense def made ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back