Apr 25, 2013
Bexhill-on-sea
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hi,

I have a 2010 Swift Sundance 630L and want to stop it rocking at night (NO! I mean going to the loo). Does anyone know what wind down/push down legs might fit and who sells them.

Cheers,

Bob

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2013
Bexhill-on-sea
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
Wow! that was quick.

Thanks; I'm going to be straight on the link.

Have fun,

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There were no corner steadies on our Autoquest but we find them useful on the Burstner.

They are, however, quite heavy so best to check that they won't overload the rear axle weight if it is at all close to the max.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Have you tried axle stands?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if the suspension is that soft that the van rocks when walking about, it will wallow on corners etc. consider fitting air bags to to the suspension to solve both issues

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I use 4 aluminium axle stands that i got from fiamma.
Lightweight to carry, with 2 behind the front wheels and 2 at either end of the tow ball bar there is no movement

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I have 4 Fiamma ally axle stands I am about to put on the accessories for sale. We will be at both Shepton and Lincoln if anyone is interested in purrrchasing them.. like new, box tatty £20. (£55 new) Dave. :Cool:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
I have 4 Fiamma ally axle stands I am about to put on the accessories for sale. We will be at both Shepton and Lincoln if anyone is interested in purrrchasing them.. like new, box tatty £20. (£55 new) Dave. :Cool:

HI Dave we will have them of you, we are not sure about Shepton yet but we are defenaitly going to Lincoln just not booked yet so can you put our name on them please.
regards Kate:thumb: you have a pm

Last edited:
OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2013
Bexhill-on-sea
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks one and all.

I have been phoning and internet browsing and learnt that the Swift 630L has its rear chassis a long way from the sides/ends and a long way up that standard steady legs are no good for it. My local dealer tells me that Swift do an optional extra at somewhere approaching £400 plus fitting for a pair. The suspension is not too light and the vehicle handles well on the road but walking about at night is still disturbing.
I don't understand the axel stand approach (my local dealer has suggested it as a trial). All the axel stands I have seen (I have 2 pairs myself) have discrete heights set by a tommy bar so they can't take any thing out of the springs unless the van is jacked up a little and then lowered onto the stands once the tommy bar has been put in place. Maybe there are some that are adjusted by a thread?
The Al-co drop-down legs at Magnum Motorhomes are not suitable since they do not extend anywhere near long enough; they tell me.
I could make up brackets myself and mount caravan style legs at a reasonable cost (approx. £70/side - legs from magnum motorhomes [thanks timetraveller]) and this I might do. It would add about 15kg to the weight of the van. I could carry two 2 ton hydraulic bottle jacks and spacers and just place them under the chassis when I want (about £12/side). This would add about 7kg to the pay load.

If I come up with a better solution I will post it. If not I'll let the topic die.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Thanks one and all.

I have been phoning and internet browsing and learnt that the Swift 630L has its rear chassis a long way from the sides/ends and a long way up that standard steady legs are no good for it. My local dealer tells me that Swift do an optional extra at somewhere approaching £400 plus fitting for a pair. The suspension is not too light and the vehicle handles well on the road but walking about at night is still disturbing.
I don't understand the axel stand approach (my local dealer has suggested it as a trial). All the axel stands I have seen (I have 2 pairs myself) have discrete heights set by a tommy bar so they can't take any thing out of the springs unless the van is jacked up a little and then lowered onto the stands once the tommy bar has been put in place. Maybe there are some that are adjusted by a thread?
The Al-co drop-down legs at Magnum Motorhomes are not suitable since they do not extend anywhere near long enough; they tell me.
I could make up brackets myself and mount caravan style legs at a reasonable cost (approx. £70/side - legs from magnum motorhomes [thanks timetraveller]) and this I might do. It would add about 15kg to the weight of the van. I could carry two 2 ton hydraulic bottle jacks and spacers and just place them under the chassis when I want (about £12/side). This would add about 7kg to the pay load.

If I come up with a better solution I will post it. If not I'll let the topic die.

Hi, we have a Sundance 630g. We have static caravan stands we carry with us, we find them ok but someone lent us an extra pair of the sort Merle is selling and we found they stopped a lot of the rocking this is why we jumped at these. We also have air assist fitted which also helps, it can be expensive but we have been able to upgrade to 4010 instead of 3850.

regards Kate

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2013
Bexhill-on-sea
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Pete,

Thanks for your info. I'm not sure what you bought for £55. I've just looked at the O'Leary site and I see that he sells 'drop down feet'. The longest drop is 550mm and costs between £60 and £70 (a good enough price). By required drop is on average 615mm but I can mount them on a spacer to achieve the extra height. Looks like this might be the best solution.

Very many thanks,

Bob

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Broken Link Removed
These are the ones I bought £45.00, plus £10.00 postage. Pete

Hi Bob
I have just seen your reply, if you look through his site you will find these, I only saw the dearer ones at first, I use the free standing ones at the moment but they are a bit of a pain so decided to fit drop down ones. Pete

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I dont give a monkies about the van rocking,it was the squeek that needed sorting asit put me out of rythum

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my mrs is that old she creaks groans and squeaks much worse than the suspension on the van:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back