Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Greetings the assembled Hymeristi :Smile:

Just over a week ago, we bought our first motorhome. It's a 1993 Hymer B654 with a Fiat 2.5 L diesel motor and I need to identify a mystery electrical box I discovered under the bonnet.
Its a circuit board about 6" x 4" and sits (component side down) above the main battery, in a plastic housing
Looking at the state of it, it probably hasn't worked since God was a boy however I daren't take a screwdriver to it to try to get a better look in case it breaks

Could this be the charger control for the leisure battery ?

On my control panel in the kitchen, I have what looks like a battery charge meter (Strom) that is clearly broken (needle remains hard right at all times)

Could the 2 be related ?

As far as I can tell the leisure battery requires a mains hookup to charge from the unit under the driver seat.

Cheers

Allan

Last edited:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hello and welcome garlicmonster to the site, look forward to your posts and enjoy being a member, also join up for £10 and become a fully subscribed member and it will be the best £10 you will ever spend, as there is a wealth of information on here probably the best in the UK, Sorry don't know much about your hymer but there are many members on here that have one so I expect you will get a few replys to help you out, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome not to sure what the box is, could be something like a buzz bar where all the cables are connected and this is then connected to the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I suspect it may be an alarm board. Is there any writing on the board? If its in German its likely itwill be a Hymer part,if its Italian it will be the alarm.

OP
OP
G

garlicmonster

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I hadn't thought it might be an alarm

I'll take some pics and upload them tomorrow

Cheers

OP
OP
G

garlicmonster

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I hadn't thought it might be an alarm

I'll take some pics and upload them tomorrow

Cheers

OP
OP
G

garlicmonster

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
OK - so here's the mystery box

I can see no writing on it in either Italian or German - the underside is also unmarked but does have some conections underneath - I *think* there's a thick red & black plus some others but I couldn't get a viable picture

20130828_143218_zpsc26874a2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
G

garlicmonster

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
yebbut

- what is (was) it ?
- what does (did) it do ?

The only thing I cant get to work (so far) is the charging of the leisure battery other than at a mains hookup

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
I agree with Brian,its bad enough to be home made,have you traced the wires back?
Maybe a bit of "Time Team" investigation is needed,can you see any identifying marks on the board components?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
From memory, it is factory fitted and has a (or should have a :roflmto: ) grey lid (or was it Aluminium?)

Again from memory I have an inkling that it is do do with the glow plugs. Does it have a connector underneath and a much larger red with on to a terminal with rubber boot/cover?

Perhaps anyone with a older Fiat can have a peek under their bonnets?

Eddie

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
From memory, it is factory fitted and has a (or should have a :roflmto: ) grey lid (or was it Aluminium?)

Again from memory I have an inkling that it is do do with the glow plugs. Does it have a connector underneath and a much larger red with on to a terminal with rubber boot/cover?

Perhaps anyone with a older Fiat can have a peek under their bonnets?

Eddie
I had a '92 2.5td FIAT My box was a black plastic unit without an,easily,removable lid. I would have expected it to have some identifying marks,probably in German,Hella,Hymer or Bosch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

garlicmonster

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Eddie

It does have a grey plastic lid and thick red / black wires plus a number of thin black ones.

If its glow plug related, I'd best put the lid on and apply duck tape to secure

Cheers again

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
just reading your post.we brought a 1989 hymercamp56 on a talbot peugeot chassis.
our battery had its charger sat next to it.we are waiting to run the battery down to see if the engine battery will charge it.
will keep an eye on your thread to see what it is,will also have a look under our bonnet at the weekend.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I am pretty certain that it is the timer for the glow plugs. Pop the lid back on and tape it up:thumb:

Cheers

Eddie

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Heater plug units usually make a click when the plugs are hot so get someone to turn on ignition and listen for the click of the hater plug if it starts good on first crank there is nothing wrong with your hater plugs unit there is a good chance that it is the leisure battery unit as it is siting over leisure battery only my theory

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
The mystery box is a cold start device. Operates the glow-plugs or flame-start device (depending on engine make). Our 2.5TD Fiat has flame-start as opposed to a glow-plug in each cylinder. It's similar to a normal glowplug but when activated, heats up and a solenoid next it injects diesel through the plug which , erm, flames :RollEyes:

See Beru website.

If it fails you can connect a wire from battery + to glowplugs/flamestart ... and ... whip the wire off quick or it'll melt :ROFLMAO:

By the way, if flamestart is fitted as opposed to normal 4 glowplugs, there is no need to wait for the light to go out (indicating combustion chambers are heated) before turning starter - just turn key to start in one movement like a petrol engine...

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Heater plug units usually make a click when the plugs are hot so get someone to turn on ignition and listen for the click of the hater plug if it starts good on first crank there is nothing wrong with your hater plugs unit there is a good chance that it is the leisure battery unit as it is siting over leisure battery only my theory

Hi Bill, no, it is factory fitted, above the engine battery on the off side inner wing.

Eddie

OP
OP
G

garlicmonster

Free Member
Aug 27, 2013
Derby
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
>The mystery box is a cold start device.

Ok - what sort of temperature might this be needed ? I'm not at all confident that it's functional but don't anticipate going anywhere if I need to scrape ice from the windscreen first

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
i have a fiat ducatto based 1994 dethleff.This is what I have with the cover complete.I also get a heater plug light when started from cold.
magnet marelli
rep 5A
12v COD
Hope this may help.
pete

Attachments

• IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2458.jpg
    IMG_2458.jpg