LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Alway's a relief, we have our van and car booked in tomorrow :whatthe: so it's fingers crossed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Just out of interest - How old are your tyres?

MikeD :thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Cracking of tyres is only a failure if the internal cord structure is visible wthin the crack, I've queried this before with our local testing station. What amazes me more is how many vehicle owners obviously don't look at their tyres at all, probably at least 50% of all the motorhomes we service show sidewall cracking. A few owners even take our advice and replace the tyres before they go bang!::bigsmile:

D.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
errrmmmm old?......sorry they were on when we bought it...

1279920202_17_FT1905_tyrre_stamp.jpg

Derek

Look for something on the tyre wall like this. This tyre is March 2004 :thumb:

Mike

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
thats a new one on me....i thought sidewall damage was a fail point. :Eeek:

and cracking is damage.

wheres the MOT oracle when you need him

GEO...GEO

Well when i retired 9 years ago after 25yrs MOT testing the rule was that you had to be able to see the tyre cords through the crack before falure and not allowed to poke the tyre with a screw driver etc.
Things may have changed now but always gave a very strong advisory on any sign of tyre problems, the problem with MOT testing is that VOSA say one thing but as soon as things go wrong you are in the do da

dave e

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A tyre has a cut the length of which is in excess of 25 mm or 10% of section width, whichever is greater, deep enough to reach the ply or cords

A lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial failure of its structure. This includes any lifting of the tread rubber

Any of its ply or cord exposed

These are the 3 most common reasons for failure quoted verbatim
There are many more failure reason

looking at the first one how do you tell a 1" Cut From a 1" crack
Because reading the rule as a pedant and you have to be in MoT world.
The Cut would fail The crack would be an advise:Doh:
The next two are much simpler

So John Cracks dont count

Geo

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well when i retired 9 years ago after 25yrs MOT testing the rule was that you had to be able to see the tyre cords through the crack before falure and not allowed to poke the tyre with a screw driver etc.
Things may have changed now but always gave a very strong advisory on any sign of tyre problems, the problem with MOT testing is that VOSA say one thing but as soon as things go wrong you are in the do da

dave e

Hi Dave
Things move so fast these days if you retired last month you would all ready be out of date and behind with the changes :RollEyes:
As i said in the previous post you really do have to read the rules to the letter and apply nothing else to them there is no room for opinion or common sense these days if you are picked up on an incorrect fail or missed item you really do need to prove to the letter that the manual was followed and absolutely non of your opinion was involved with the decisions made fail to to that and your out of a job:Sad:
Most complaints as you may know, come from cars that have just been bought with a new MoT and matey down the pub reckons it shouldnt have passed :RollEyes:
We have Barrack room Mot testers as well as Lawyers
G
Geo

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Just for Geo and Dave Newells amusement.

Customer bought her motor home in for yearly check over and MOT. Had new tyres when she returned from his last euro trip a month ago, so they were fine - new reverse switch, indicator lense, front box and she was good to go.

Came out with an advisory; ALL FOUR TYRES PERISHED

I asked at the desk, they shrugged their shoulders, so I decided to have the checked as I didn't want the woman to 1) worry and 2) go away thinking I had ripped her off the previous month when she had new ones.

Went to 3 tyre dealers, all checked and said they were fine, no ageing, cracking, splitting or deterioration of any kind - they even pointed out the ink still being present.

So I return to the MOT station and ask them to/if they could remove the advisory as I didn't want to worry the owner, especially as the tyres are all new and were not perished at all.

The tester was summoned......' Motor homes get this - only perished at the bottom, they seal back up when they start using it again and they are fine then' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I told him to book my banana boat in. He isn't allowed near my vehicles any more.:thumb:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

Customer bought her motor home in for yearly check over and MOT. Had new tyres when she returned from his last euro trip a month ago, so they were fine - new reverse switch, indicator lense, front box and she was good to go.

I asked at the desk, they shrugged their shoulders, so I decided to have the checked as I didn't want the woman to 1) worry and 2) go away thinking I had ripped her off the previous month when she had new ones.

Went to 3 tyre dealers, all checked and said they were fine, no ageing, cracking, splitting or deterioration of any kind - they even pointed out the ink still being present.

So I return to the MOT station and ask them to/if they could remove the advisory as I didn't want to worry the owner, especially as the tyres are all new and were not perished at all.

The tester was summoned......' Motor homes get this - only perished at the bottom, they seal back up when they start using it again and they are fine then' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I told him to book my banana boat in. He isn't allowed near my vehicles any more.:thumb:

On a slightly different tack - I took my Kia Sorento in for its MOT and the first thing I was asked by the tester was if the timing belt had been changed. I informed him that on my diesel model it was a chain and not a belt. He said I was mistaken and that it was a belt. I asked if the timing belt was part of the MoT and he gave me some spiel. By now I was getting a bit miffed so went back to the point of it having a Timing Chain - not belt! I was a bit sarcastic and said to him 'If you're not up to speed with this make I can take it elsewhere' I don't think he appreciated this and he got quite heated telling me I was wrong. Decided to ring Kia Technical enquiries and was informed - as I already new - that my car did indeed have a Timing Chain. I tried giving my phone to the guy but he refused to talk to Kia and walked off.

Anyway, MoT went ahead and I thought out of sheer spite he would find something to fail it on - it passed::bigsmile: But, he charged £5.00 extra for adjusting headlight aim. My car has self levelling suspension and beam can be switch controlled inside cab. This has happened on two separate occasions - same garage - makes you wonder?

Rob

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
On a slightly different tack - I took my Kia Sorento in for its MOT and the first thing I was asked by the tester was if the timing belt had been changed. I informed him that on my diesel model it was a chain and not a belt. He said I was mistaken and that it was a belt. I asked if the timing belt was part of the MoT and he gave me some spiel. By now I was getting a bit miffed so went back to the point of it having a Timing Chain - not belt! I was a bit sarcastic and said to him 'If you're not up to speed with this make I can take it elsewhere' I don't think he appreciated this and he got quite heated telling me I was wrong. Decided to ring Kia Technical enquiries and was informed - as I already new - that my car did indeed have a Timing Chain. I tried giving my phone to the guy but he refused to talk to Kia and walked off.

Anyway, MoT went ahead and I thought out of sheer spite he would find something to fail it on - it passed::bigsmile: But, he charged £5.00 extra for adjusting headlight aim. My car has self levelling suspension and beam can be switch controlled inside cab. This has happened on two separate occasions - same garage - makes you wonder?

Rob
You've used them more than once!!!!!!:Eeek:

robi49

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Cracks on tyres

Hi as an ex police Mech, vehicle examiner, MOT tester,
could it have been the tester's glasses were cracked at the time of testing!
robi:ROFLMAO:

robi49

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
MOT advisory

Hi irn-bru, dont run out and buy tyres if you are laying up van for winter, wait till start of season then shop around I go to black circle on line cheapest so far.
Remember to drain down water from everywhere Are you leaving it outside or under cover.
robi.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back